• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How good was this Paris Roubaix

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate this 2013 Paris Roubaix out of 10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Afrank said:
I hope your not basing that opinion solely on his performance today. He's shown he has the skill-set to win races like Roubaix. He's only 22, give him time.
Agree. He won the u 23 Roubaix. And he was first in Arenberg today. And yes he is 22. That means there could easily go 10 years before he reach he's top level in the race.

Great race with the finish coming down to half a bike length.
As for OPQS, seriously, with the crowd so close to the road, why would your ride the edge right by them? Asking for trouble...
That said, amazing bike handling from Stybar to stay upright! Thought he might make it back at first. Still not sure what happened with him considering he was third wheel, so it's not like there was someone leaning out?? Was contact made or did he get spooked?

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
This was a very good edition of Roubaix.

To sum up the races

San Remo
Dwars Door Vlaanderen
E3
Gent-Wevelgem
De Panne
Flanders
Scheldeprijs
Roubaix,

the winners of this period certainly are

Ciolek
Cancellara
Sagan
Kristoff
Haussler
Bozic
Chavanel.

Disappointing were

Pozzato
Hushovd
VanSummeren
(Phinney)
(Degenkolb)
Thomas
Boasson Hagen.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Only a seven from me, I know the feeling of being deflated and disappointed at what could have been is part of racing, especially here, but I felt that a lot with little of the usual enthusiasm for the ride by the winner.

The rider we thought would win, did win and at no point did I feel that this was in any real doubt, key riders were taken out but when it isn’t by cobbles or mechanicals but by spectators it detracts from the race (this is not to place blame but they should not directly influence the race).

Stybar nearly made me give this an eight as his presence was a boon and I hope he’s given an opportunity here next year.

I voted 9- my faults are i have not been able to re-watch it / did not spend as much time as i liked watching it- from 6 in the morning to 7:40.

I liked Sinkeldam's performance/ any rider who attacked (Gaudin was a beast) and i feel really sorry for Vanmarcke. Imagine how good he would have been if he had not hurt his knee earlier in the year and he would have been a worthy winner.

By that token Cancellara was not as strong as at RVV- but this was if anything funner and more realistic to watch.
Feel devastated for Stybar and Stijn. I actually wanted Cancellara and Vanmarcke to stop pulling.

GVA and Langeveld out of position and good to see them ride strongly- 2 of my favourite riders.
Great race.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Great race, gave it a 9. Was exciting for 3 full hours and it offered everything I want to see in a race like this: drama, crashes, lot of attacks, nail-biting finish, pressure on the favorite, guys who surprise and complete failures and after passing the finishline winner who was so tired he fell of his bike.
Don't think we will see a better one day race this year.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Loved the race although the result was predictable, even if the finish had more tension than that implies. Losing the two QS riders really spoilt it for me though, really think the pair of them would have had an influence on the finish, maybe we would have had a four man sprint. 7 out of ten for me, mainly because of that.

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Loved the race although the result was predictable, even if the finish had more tension than that implies. Losing the two QS riders really spoilt it for me though, really think the pair of them would have had an influence on the finish, maybe we would have had a four man sprint. 7 out of ten for me, mainly because of that.

Well the first QS rider was going backwards anyway then he crashed

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
wiggos sideburn said:
Well the first QS rider was going backwards anyway then he crashed

Thought Vadenbergh was looking really good, backing up his performance at the Omloop and plenty of potential shown. Reckon him and Stybar would have stuck to the end, although Cancellara may have ridden differently if he was carrying 3 riders to the line.

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Thought Vadenbergh was looking really good, backing up his performance at the Omloop and plenty of potential shown. Reckon him and Stybar would have stuck to the end, although Cancellara may have ridden differently if he was carrying 3 riders to the line.

Really Stybar looked good but Vandenbergh was losing contact fast hence why the cameras didn't even catch him going down

Gave it an 8.

Probably on the low side. But no Boonen subtracts a point. And to get a 10 a Dane would have had to win. :)

Fantastic race nonetheless. Also opened my eyes to a couple of up and comers. Never really got the whole Stybar hype, other than the fact that he has a cool name. Well call me educated!

Next year Matti! Haven't given up on ya. Keep on trucking!