• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How good was this Paris Roubaix

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate this 2013 Paris Roubaix out of 10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I gave it a 1.
So disappointed by Pippo Poz I almost couldn't watch it. :(

Disappointed also by what happened to Stybar, I was really enjoying his ride :( Glad to see Niki back in business tho!

On a second thought I enjoyed this new Rabo(Blanco)Fail a lot :D

8 Fast pace and thrilling stuff. Shame Stybar kissed a fan's camera, he'd have made it more interesting. It has been enjoyable to watch another virtuoso performance from Cancellara.
I have preferred watching the Basque tour this week though. I prefer hills to cobbles....though around my neck of the woods, we have both together.

I thought it was a great edition as well. Maybe its better when you are not cheering on a particular rider or don't hate any riders. I would have preferred to see Vanmarcke win to break the Cancellara stranglehold but that's it.

Yes, the crashes were cruel but Vandenbergh was already cooked and crash was his own fault. The Stybar one was very cruel as he rode a fantastic race but I also believe that crashes are part of the amazing drama of P-R.

I have a tough time trying to decide whether I like Flanders or P-R best but as I am not a fan of the route changes in the Ronde, my choice is moving towards P-R.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It was okay for a dry Roubaix but it was not great, some major surprises, bet that was due to the weather. Little crashes too, Arenberg was boring as hell too, besides Geraint I Fall in every race Thomas :)

I again liked Pippo Pozzato today.

PS: Roubaix needs to be wet

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Great race, still gutted about Stybar, even more gutted that the cobbles are over for another year.

Brabantse Pijl has cobbles, although they often ride the sidewalk.

Too bad AGR left out the ever-race deciding Maasberg out because of the changed finale.

Luckily the Fleche and LBL roads feel like cobbles due to government budget cutting.

For the last time Paris-Roubaix does NOT need to be wet. It's the only race that does not because the course is hard enough.

Flanders needs to be wet badly (ask Merckx). To some extent Milan-Sanremo needs to be wet (we saw why this year, though wasn't exactly Milan-Sanremo). Liège needs to be wet but Paris-Roubaix does not. If it's wet it's just a bonus.

And for the last time, crashes (Styby's and VdB's) are no bad luck, they are the riders' own mistakes, due to lack of clear-mindedness. De Vlaeminck always said crashes and punctures were no bad luck. An in-form rider never crashes nor punctures.

A 10 because the greatest rider of the peloton got it, because it's been entertaining from the very beginning of the live coverage (except for those who don't like cycling) and because it was a man to man affair.

Arenberg is more and more often mastered by the riders because the Amis de Paris-Roubaix have done a great job in making the cobbles safer. They deserve a lot of credit because it's all voluntary work !

the delgados said:
5 cobbles out of 5.

p.s. Fans are not to blame for Stybar's stumble. After watching multiple replays, it seems clear to me that nobody did anything out of the ordinary. He needs to keep his head up when riding so close to the crowd.

This is my read of the event. IMHO, he had a line he liked, only people were REALLY, REALLY close and then he got bit by the risk he was taking.

I definitely do not like crowd control boundaries in most open-road races. There are risks running races like that, but it's a part of what makes cycling different and great. Barriers at the finish is a different story.

9 out of 10. This race has an "act of God" element missing from many big races.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Gave seven just because of spectators' influence, although it's integral part of Paris - Roubaix.
Otherwise it would be strong 8 or even 9. Exciting till the last pedal stroke, selection along the way didn't disappoint, Cancellara rode like a champion and battle in the front group (before the falls and including final duel) was thrilling.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
I gave it a 1.
So disappointed by Pippo Poz I almost couldn't watch it. :(

Disappointed also by what happened to Stybar, I was really enjoying his ride :( Glad to see Niki back in business tho!

On a second thought I enjoyed this new Rabo(Blanco)Fail a lot :D

What would it had to take, then, so that you gave it the absolute figure.:p

DirtyWorks said:
This is my read of the event. IMHO, he had a line he liked, only people were REALLY, REALLY close and then he got bit by the risk he was taking.

I definitely do not like crowd control boundaries in most open-road races. There are risks running races like that, but it's a part of what makes cycling different and great. Barriers at the finish is a different story.

9 out of 10. This race has an "act of God" element missing from many big races.

Totally agree.

I will stop watching the day barriers are introduced.
Crowds are part of the spectacle; and riders pulling a train into a stretch of cobbles know full well that their passengers face more risk by focusing on the wheel ahead rather than the crowd beside.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
When a race makes your heart race, gets your blood pressure up, and transfixes your eyes on the screen...you know it's a great race. And this is what the race did to me multiple times. This was by far one of the best races I've seen, Cancellara was the heavy favorite, but even so there was multiple times when I thought Cance wouldn't be able to win.

Tons of action the whole race, and of all the ways it could have ended, a track sprint between Cance and vanmarcke was the last thing I expected.

Therefore...a 10. I would even vote 11 if there was a option for it. :D
The only thing that could have made it better was if Phinney had been up there.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
When a race makes your heart race, gets your blood pressure up, and transfixes your eyes on the screen...you know it's a great race. And this is what the race did to me multiple times. This was by far one of the best races I've seen, Cancellara was the heavy favorite, but even so there was multiple times when I thought Cance wouldn't be able to win.

Tons of action the whole race, and of all the ways it could have ended, a track sprint between Cance and vanmarcke was the last thing I expected.

Therefore...a 10. I would even vote 11 if there was a option for it. :D
The only thing that could have made it better was if Phinney had been up there.

Phinney will never win this race.

Best one ive ever watched Live by a mile. my girlfriend was fascinated by the concept of a road race finishing in a velodrome so i called her in for the last 2K so she could see the transfer, fooking hell think ive just got my lass hooked on road racing. Thankyou sep, thankyou fab. This P-R will probably allow me to watch loads more racing as my girl is interested too now.

Feel bad for sybar tho, what bike control....

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Boeing said:
Phinney will never win this race.

I hope your not basing that opinion solely on his performance today. He's shown he has the skill-set to win races like Roubaix. He's only 22, give him time.