• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How important to be fit ?

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi One and all,

How important to be fit for a race. Is it true you can sustain only if you have the courage to be last long (till) the end. Hope its fitness makes an impact right away.And may know something about cycling winner ARMSTRONG. Can anyone suggest me anything regarding him.

Feel free to post.

Regards,
Simon.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
simonpeterch said:
Hi One and all,

How important to be fit for a race. Is it true you can sustain only if you have the courage to be last long (till) the end. Hope its fitness makes an impact right away.And may know something about cycling winner ARMSTRONG. Can anyone suggest me anything regarding him.

Feel free to post.

Regards,
Simon.

Oh yeah, we know lot's about 'cycling winner' ARMSTRONG...unfortunately WADA & the UCI have been able to make anything 'stick' yet!...do some searches of the forum, I'm sure you'll find plenty of info...either that or google, there'd be 400gazillion hits on 'lance' I'd reckon...should keep you busy reading for awhile :D

simonpeterch said:
Hi One and all,

Feel free to post.

Regards,
Simon.

I think you're asking about the relationship of fitness to bike racing? If that's the question then the answer is that fitness is an absolute requirement. If you don't show up fit you might as well show up on a broken bike. Mind over matter won't do jack for you if you're out of shape, but conversely you probably can't get bike racing fit without serious mental discipline to put in the training and live like a monk.