• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

how many languages do you speak?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm afraid it is just English. I can work out basic stuff in Italian and French, and I say a few words in Spanish, and say "hello" and "goodbye" in German.

German (native tongue)
English (more or less fluently, depending on how much I actually use it)

Some French (learned in school, but a lot of it gone. I guess I would take me two or three months of practice to get into it again).

I can read a lot of Dutch/Flemish and a bit of Spanish and Italian.

I'm fluent in Dutch, English, French and German, and know the basics of Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.

I'm trying to find the time to learn Mandarin or Japanese, but every time I've looked at the language centre in my Uni for lessons they always seem to clash horribly with my other subjects.

Aug 29, 2009
Visit site
Like most Dutch my age, I learned Dutch, French, German and English in Highschool. My heritage provided me with Frisian and travels gave me a working knowledge of Swedish, Italian and Spanish. Living in Canada for the past 40+ years has made English my first language, but traveling through Europe showed that you don't forget and the language will come back in no time when needed.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
English and Spanish. Used to speak French and Italian well but seemed to have forgotten most of it.......unless of course I have a few beers in me, then I can speak 10 languages fluently. :D

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
English and Spanish. Used to speak French and Italian well but seemed to have forgotten most of it.......unless of course I have a few beers in me, then I can speak 10 languages fluently. :D

I think I make more sense when I have had a few beers in whatever language I'm speaking, but no one else does.

English and currently learning French.

I speak English as my mother tounge. Can speak enough French to get by, and the most basic of German. Used to speak Russian, not fluently, but better than my French is. Though seeing as it has been 10 years since I last spoke it, and with more than a couple of painful blows to my head, then I can't remember any of it.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Only Japanese and English for me.

I studied German in school but never used it so it's gone, and I studied Spanish and can speak a little and understand quite a lot since it's all around me here in California.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
English and French reasonably fluently. Am currently learning Swedish. I played on an Italian soccer team in high school and know a little Italian, though largely of the kind the clergy would not know...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
English and Norwegian...the latter is almost there but I won't say I'm fluent until I'm thinking "in the language". I still don't do that yet except for the very basic of conversations.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
alas, I'm a victim of the American educational system. I speak some French, though as the years go by I know less. I can read some Spanish and Italian due to having taken 6 years of Latin in high school. Not close to fluent in anything except American English, though.

On the plus side, I've been told when I've competed in Spanish-speaking countries that my Spanish accent is excellent - for the 100 or so words that I know.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
English is my mother tongue, and as I live in avery anglo area it is what I speak most often. I speak French at home with my wife 'n kids but still have a way to go before I'll call myself fluent.

TRENDING THREADS