• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How many miles did you get on your best tires this summer?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
CentralCaliBike said:
To start off, I have a set of "Continental GP4000 S" I put on this summer and have over 2250 miles and there is still tread on them.

About same mileage on the same Contis. Still has tread and got my first flat riding trashy roads awhile ago. Not so good on wet pavement, now.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Have been using ultremo's lately, they have lasted about 2000 miles but the 2 sets I used have never caused me any of the splitting issues that seem to be common with these tyres. I figured I may be on borrowed time though so I have just put some conti gp's on! These gp's you are using the chilli compound?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
lanternrouge said:
Have been using ultremo's lately, they have lasted about 2000 miles but the 2 sets I used have never caused me any of the splitting issues that seem to be common with these tyres. I figured I may be on borrowed time though so I have just put some conti gp's on! These gp's you are using the chilli compound?

I have both the S (with Chilli compound) and the regular GP 4000. The S are the only ones with the miles on them since they are from my primary bike (the regulars are on an old steel bike that has only seen a few hundred miles this year).

Conti 4000S

I'm on the Conti 4000S' too. I get 2600-2800 miles on the rear, much better than on the old "pre-chili" compound. I think my first set of regular compound 4000s five or six years ago only lasted ~1600 miles.

I ride with a bunch of guys that swear by the Michelin ProRace 3 bu't I cant imagine a better clincher than the 4000S. If you keep your eye on probikekit you can get 'em for $32 every once in a while.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
steelciocc said:
I'm on the Conti 4000S' too. I get 2600-2800 miles on the rear, much better than on the old "pre-chili" compound. I think my first set of regular compound 4000s five or six years ago only lasted ~1600 miles.

I ride with a bunch of guys that swear by the Michelin ProRace 3 bu't I cant imagine a better clincher than the 4000S. If you keep your eye on probikekit you can get 'em for $32 every once in a while.

That is where I get mine - I tend to buy every time they have a sell, right now I have a pair waiting to go on when these are showing the cords.:)

On Sale Now...

lanternrouge said:
You guys getting your tyres from the UK? Can't you get em over there? I paid 22GBP each. This is turning into the GP4000S thread!

lanternrouge,

Yes, we can get them here but most shops want $50-60 for one. We can get a set from PBK for almost the price of one tire (PBK ships free to the US).

After my earlier post I checked and they're on sale now (with an additional 10% off using the code "xmas") so I ordered 3. With the discount it worked out to a little less than $35 each.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
CentralCaliBike said:
I am interested in hearing about any other decent tires out there.

Michelin Krylion Carbon. Great high mileage (2-3k mi. usually) trainer that's more than suitable for racing, as in my experience has the same performance qualities as a Pro Race 3. I'm usually going back an forth between Conti and Michelin, with the occasional Vittoria Open Corsa or Open Pavé thrown into the mix.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Bustedknuckle said:
Tubie $40 more than the clincher tho...and WHY do they put the threads/seam on the tread side?

The stitching is reversed, that doesn't sound right. Now I know what tubular not to get. Did Conti start doing that with all their tubulars now, Sprinters too? That would be a shame. Weird stuff cousin. I might just bite the bullet and get some nice A. Dugast Paris Roubaix Silk, I know for a fact the stitching is correct on those.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
+1 for GP4000S, Only 500 miles on mine but they are far from worn as of yet.
They are by far the best racing clinchers I have ever used.

As for training tyres, I use Specialized all condition tyres because I live in an area with pretty terrible roads, and I cant be bothered going slowly down hills when it rains :cool:

They wont win any speed contests but I typically get 2000 miles from a set.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Conti GP4000s: 7000km and the front tire is still going strong. I killed the rear tire last night after riding 1000km on the trainer (yeah, yeah, I was too lazy to swap out to the trainer tire and I was eternally optimistic that I would be able to get out on the road - 20cm of snow last Wednesday laid those hopes to rest). This included many kilometres on dirt roads as well as good roads and crappy Quebec roads. I'm sold on the Continental GP4000s.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have some old very hard Vittoria HSD tyres they have so far done 14,000 km
and still no flats or wear.

The last ones I had stuck to the rim when I tyried to remove them.

Dont know where I can get some more of them the bike shop dont like them.

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Vittoria Rubino Pro 700x23, about 5.5K miles on the rear, 6.5K on the front (still in a good shape). Ridden in all kinds of conditions throughout the year.

Now I'm using Continental Gator Skins 700x23, so far 2000 miles worry free.

A

Anonymous

lanternrouge said:

I ride on country roads. Lots of "chip seal" which is crushed limestone imbeded in asphalt. Very sharp and abrasive. I use tires longer than I maybe should.

I tried 2 sets of the Schwalbe Ultremos. They felt great, BUT I was lucky to get 1200-1500 Miles (1900-2400km). BY then they were bare and began to de-laminate. Have tried Tufo "clinchers" BUT of the six I've had all have gotten fatal punctures and / or valve stem breakage.

This past year I've been mostly riding on the Vittoria Corsa Pave (expensive) which show little wear after 2200-2500 miles (3500-4000 km). The feel great AND the black - green color has some cache ( watching the cobble races my wife says "look! he's got your tires!)

Bought some very cheap Chinese tires for spare wheet set (because they were blue to match my bike). They're stiff, hard and heavy but wearing very well.

My $.02 worth (EUR .0137)

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I've been using maxis refuse as my training tyre for a couple of months, and i think they are just what i was after. No punctures yet (touch wood) which is pretty good for me. Sitll got plenty of tread left, and have already done about 5000kms. before this i was unsing a combination of vittorias Rubinos, Rubino pros and Zaffiros (they're dirt cheap but pretty useless). I found these tyres to not be particularly puncture resistant.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
This past year I've been mostly riding on the Vittoria Corsa Pave (expensive) which show little wear after 2200-2500 miles (3500-4000 km). The feel great AND the black - green color has some cache ( watching the cobble races my wife says "look! he's got your tires!)

How is the puncture resistance on these? There are some pretty bad roads where I live and I hate punctures. I have had pretty good success with Gator Skins but, I have been thinking about giving Vittoria tires a try.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
titan_90 said:
How is the puncture resistance on these? There are some pretty bad roads where I live and I hate punctures. I have had pretty good success with Gator Skins but, I have been thinking about giving Vittoria tires a try.

Both tubular and clincher versions are great. Tread wear is faster than Conti or Michelin, ride quality and puncture resistance even in the clincher version is superb. A little expensive, but worth a try.

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Winter : Ultra Gatorskins or Krylions (expect 2,000 miles plus from the rear, +20% for the front)

Summer (if ever we get another) : Pro 3s or Fortezza Tricomps (2,200 rear, same percentage better for the front)

Tried Ultremo Rs last spring/early summer, and they were going well - loved the feel of them, and the wear was very acceptable, BUT I had 5 in a row suffer from the sudden delamination problem. Although I immediately got a new tyre free for each one returned to the retailer, the experience cooled my enthusiasm somewhat. I may give them a try again in a year or 2, when the problem has gone away.

A

Anonymous

about 2000km on a set of rubbish £20 mountain bike tires..

they look like road tires now.. :D