• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How many more GT's will Contador win?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How many more GT's will Contador win?

• More than 6 (vino level)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ferryman said:
Och, losing it my friend. Froome fought tooth and nail the first week to try and stay in the game. Fact is he was blown away when the big boys came to play and he couldn't cope. If you want to read anything other than he simply wasn't good enough then OK for you but you are simply wrong;)
He was with the best at first. He was 3rd on Arrate and 2nd in Jaca, remember? When he started fading, it was pretty obvious he was getting worse every day: he went from losing slightly to the top 3 guys, to struggling to be with the rest of the top 10. It wasn't just the "big boys" who were giving him trouble, and by the end of the Vuelta he looked like he could blow up at any time.

So no, I don't think airstream is wrong at all. Actually what he said is, IMO, pretty obvious.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:
Ok based on the Vuelta can you justify why you think a guy like Froome who just got his *** kicked around the mountains of Spain by an unfit Contador

images

i'm sorry surely but perhaps since pantani fans haven't gone daft because of a rider that much. I offer to stop discussion.

I voted four but really think the only limiting factor for AC is himself. He is 29 yo I think but I don't think he will want to race another 6 years or longer. No, three or maybe four years, 4 or 5 more GT wins.

NOt counting Amgen of course. He may go there and just win a couple for fun though.

hrotha said:
He was with the best at first. He was 3rd on Arrate and 2nd in Jaca, remember? When he started fading, it was pretty obvious he was getting worse every day: he went from losing slightly to the top 3 guys, to struggling to be with the rest of the top 10. It wasn't just the "big boys" who were giving him trouble, and by the end of the Vuelta he looked like he could blow up at any time.

So no, I don't think airstream is wrong at all. Actually what he said is, IMO, pretty obvious.

I must be really stupid. Can you just please spell it out for me where it went wrong? Other than just being outclassed when the hammer went down from, yes 'the big boys'.

hrotha said:

Froome will be better at the TDF 2013 without too many racing miles in his legs.This much is true.I also described him as a "top stage racer" a few posts back.Nobody can take away GT's-2nd/2nd/4th.The point is, will he be leader?, if he is,can he effectively lead a Tour team? Does he have a winner's mentality? There is more questions surrounding Froome than a man who has proved beyond all reasonable doubt and then some that he can win a GT.I do not mind hearing Airstream's views,he is fully entitled to them but the arguments put forward do not add up.What evidence is there that Froome has Contador's measure.None.(I realise your post was to Ferryman,just a quick observation)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
what is unbeaten argument then? only mutual fight? then, i can say rolland is a better climber than contador based on the 2011 tour. will you agree? not very likely. contador is a better mountain tt'er? that's just an assumption. we have no evidence. the fact that contador was riding the tour after the giro you hurry to serve as a feat. the fact that froome was riding the vuelta after the tour and olympics, you throw out of the window by saying '...*** kicked around", despite on froomy finished higher.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
you make it sound as if being a fan of pantani was bad.

i didn't imply this certainly. :) but to think that unfit contador is able to win the vuelta is an illusion. such an assumption makes amateurs out of all the rest contenders, i would say.

How can you argue that Contador wasn't at 100%? He had only raced one week since February before going to the Vuelta.

airstream said:
what is unbeaten argument then? only mutual fight? then, i can say rolland is a better climber than contador based on the 2011 tour. will you agree? not very likely. contador is a better mountain tt'er? that's just an assumption. we have no evidence. the fact that contador was riding the tour after the giro you hurry to serve as a feat. the fact that froome was riding the vuelta after the tour and olympics, you throw out of the window by saying '...*** kicked around", despite on froomy finished higher.

You can't compare riding the 2012 Tour and Vuelta to the 2011 Giro and Tour.

For a start, Giro+Tour is a tougher combination than Tour+Vuelta, the parcours, the field.
In addition, Contador was injured in the Tour and had just come off dominating the Giro. Froome rode the Tour where he didn't go 100% when he could've because of Wiggins. Also Froome finished 10 minutes down here while Contador was only around 4 back in the Tour so 'Froomy finishing higher' is irrelevant.

Also Contador actually raced two days more before the 2011 Tour (44) than Froome has before the 2012 Vuelta (42).

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
luckyboy said:
How can you argue that Contador wasn't at 100%? He had only raced one week since February before going to the Vuelta.

For a start, Giro+Tour is a tougher combination than Tour+Vuelta, the parcours, the field.
In addition, Contador was injured in the Tour and had just come off dominating the Giro. Froome rode the Tour where he didn't go 100% when he could've because of Wiggins. Also Froome finished 10 minutes down here while Contador was only around 4 back in the Tour so 'Froomy finishing higher' is irrelevant.

Also Contador actually raced two days more before the 2011 Tour (44) than Froome has before the 2012 Vuelta (42).

You forgot to mention that Contador directly lost time at the first stage which forced him in a difficult position.

But it's no use discussing, just wait 10 more months, it's long but it'll be worth it ;)

airstream said:
the main trap is so-called contador's level is not something absolute and unshakeable. froome, wiggins [now matter how much you ignore it] and schleck are already on this level. one may get stronger, others may get weaker. all that сan cause quite deep resonance. it's very unpredictable.

I keep wondering if your this annoying/negative/constantly need to get the last word in real life as well. I hope not for you.

airstream said:
i didn't imply this certainly. :) but to think that unfit contador is able to win the vuelta is an illusion. such an assumption makes amateurs out of all the rest contenders, i would say.

He wasn't "unfit" :rolleyes: He just wasn't at 100%. And no matter what you're going to say next your argument is invalid.

There is no way Alberto could be at 100% after being out for 13 months.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
luckyboy said:
there was mentioned about "unfitness". precise percents were not called. contador wasn't at 100% in the 2010 tour, right? using such logic, i can say, andy wasn't at 100% in the 2011 tour, agree?

why? i believe i easily can. right, but the 1st gt is much harder and exhausts more in the tour+giro combo. in addition, this year the break between the tdf and the vuelta was very short.
In addition, Contador was injured in the Tour and had just come off dominating the Giro.
only fans believed that injury.

Froome rode the Tour where he didn't go 100% when he could've because of Wiggins. Also Froome finished 10 minutes down here while Contador was only around 4 back in the Tour so 'Froomy finishing higher' is irrelevant.
you know.. we have different opponents, differents forms, different circumstances. with all these factors, i see the only relatively objective criterion - overall place.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Of course Andy wasn't at his 2010 level in the 2011 Tour. He probably thought he'd win easily without Contador and there for slacked off on his training.

Jason_Mercier said:
Funny are your comments when you say he will win five GT'S more. People ignore whats coming. The best generation of climbers and GT riders of the decade.

Many a rider has shown similar potential for greatness or success in the past and for what ever reasons failed to rise to the occasion. The same will befall some of these young lions unfortunately. I don't see anything more promising in this upcoming generation than those from the previous. Look at Gesink, Anton, JVdB, Di Gregorio, Ricco, Sella, Rujano etc... None of them have been able to sustain the level of performance that their earlier promise showed.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yeah it's all made up

tumblr_lp0ecbdJ8H1qkb6bso1_500.jpg

fh8f.jpg.h380.jpg

damn, you posted these pics 10 times as minimum. :D usual bruise and slight edema and little physiotherapy procedure. in principle little nothings of life. with similar injuries, andy was soaring over the cobbles in 2010 :)

airstream said:
damn, you posted these pics 10 times as minimum. :D usual bruise and slight edema and little physiotherapy procedure. in principle little nothings of life. with similar injuries, andy was soaring over the cobbles in 2010 :)

Yeah, but as we all know, Andy's capacity for recovery is superhuman -- be it from a tough stage or a hard fall.

Meanwhile, the frail Contador is the one with the 7 GTs.

Enjoy.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
Many a rider has shown similar potential for greatness or success in the past and for what ever reasons failed to rise to the occasion. The same will befall some of these young lions unfortunately. I don't see anything more promising in this upcoming generation than those from the previous. Look at Gesink, Anton, JVdB, Di Gregorio, Ricco, Sella, Rujano etc... None of them have been able to sustain the level of performance that their earlier promise showed.

First you are talking about different generations. Second, Thibaut Pinot, Nairo Quintana and Tejay Van Garderen have demonstrated much more things than Antòn or Gesink in the past. Robert Gesink never demonstrated the climb abilities that Thibaut Pinot showed in this TDF. NEVER. Only good positions. But never was the strongest in mountain stages of a GT, never won a stage in his first GT or with 22 years in any of the three 3week races. Also Pinot is the youngest guy ever who has won the Giro Valle D'Aosta. At the age of Pinot Robert Gesink didnt have the number of victories and exhibitions of the french guy. Quintana, the same of Pinot, Robert Gesink never demonstrated performances like the colombian has made in Dauphiné, Route du Sud, Murcia or Lagos at his age. NEVER. Robert Gesink never was one of the three strongest riders in his terrain, Van Garderen showed this in the itt of the last TDF. And i said Gesink, the most promising rider of those you have mentioned. Of course some guys wont succes but Quintana, Pinot, Van Garderen and one or two more guys like Kelderman, Talansky or Dombrowski will be serious opponents for Alberto if doesnt occur anything strange.

TRENDING THREADS