• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How much is a fixed gear "worth" when climbing?

So, I really enjoy riding my singlespeed (possibly more than riding my geared bike...). I'm currently running a 66" gear and I can get up extended climbs averaging about 10% with a max of maybe 12-13% if it's just a hairpin or something (yes, I know my legs are weak!).

Currently I have a freewheel on the back as I have never ridden fixed and I'm not sure about riding fixed in traffic. However, I'm willing to give fixed a go as I can see the benefits it will produce for all my riding.

I understand the theory behind the benefits of using a fixed gear for climbing, the momentum built up in the bike and wheel help get your legs past the 12 and 6 position where applying power is hardest so should, in theory, make climbing easier.

My question is, how much of a benefit do you think a fixed gear is when climbing over a freewheel? Is it "worth" a couple of extra teeth on the sprocket? so a 16T fixed feels like an 18T freewheel?

My question is, how much of a benefit do you think a fixed gear is when climbing over a freewheel? Is it "worth" a couple of extra teeth on the sprocket? so a 16T fixed feels like an 18T freewheel?

My feeling would be roughly on the order of zero, zip, zilch or nada but I'm open to be corrected. I just can't see how there would be any of the affect you're alluding to. Unless you're freewheeling intermittently during the climb how would there be a difference? While I haven't ridden a fixed gear in more than 35 years, I did ride one for several thousand km back in the day and never noticed any difference then beyond the several pounds lighter my track bike was than my road bike. There were of course times where I was forced to ride the higher gearing on the fixy up some grades than I would have chosen with my road bike.

YMMV,

Hugh

Thanks for the reply. I've never ridden one so I really don't know, but I've been told that the momentum built up in the rear wheel effectively feeds back into the crank to add a little help at the points where you might usually stall on a freewheel. It makes sense to me, as if you stop putting power into the pedals on a fixed wheel they will still turn, whereas on a freewheel the wheel will just spin and the pedals will remain stationary, so in effect constant power from the rider is a requirement in freewheel systems to keep the pedals turning, but on a fixed system you could pedal by just applying power between, say 2-6 on each stroke and allow the wheel to turn the cranks for the rest of the stroke. Doesn't make sense to do that most of the time, but I can understand how it might help on a climb. How much of an effect it has on a climb is where I become a bit dubious, the steeper it gets the less likely it is to help and the steeper it gets the more likely you are to need help, so it may just work out to nothing. The guy who told me this is approaching 70 and has ridden a fixed wheel all his life, but as with all things I want more than just his view :) Especially when I have no experience myself!

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Alex Simmons/RST said:
sciguy said:

My feeling would be roughly on the order of zero, zip, zilch or nada but I'm open to be corrected.
I think you're overstating it.
We finally agree on something.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alex Simmons/RST said:
sciguy said:

My feeling would be roughly on the order of zero, zip, zilch or nada but I'm open to be corrected.
I think you're overstating it.

That's an understatement.

Re:

42x16ss said:
No benefit whatsoever in that regard but fixed is great for working on leg speed and cadence, as well as strength. Once you're used to it they're fun to ride.

These are the reasons I've decided to give it a try. Reading about coaching techniques and they all seem to talk about fixed wheels to improve those three things.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/using-track-cycling-training-methods-to-prepare-for-the-road

This is some ideas on how I think riding track can help your performance on road. Don't think there is anything special about riding a fixed gear. Maybe one thing is that because you can't stop pedalling you end up doing more work.

Seeing some love anecdotes round here Ivan Basso and Cadel Evans has their best Grant Tours when the late Aldo Sassi got them doing a lot of fixed gear riding in the off-season.

Re:

CoachFergie said:
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/using-track-cycling-training-methods-to-prepare-for-the-road

This is some ideas on how I think riding track can help your performance on road. Don't think there is anything special about riding a fixed gear. Maybe one thing is that because you can't stop pedalling you end up doing more work.

Seeing some love anecdotes round here Ivan Basso and Cadel Evans has their best Grant Tours when the late Aldo Sassi got them doing a lot of fixed gear riding in the off-season.

Thanks, I'll have a read today. Did my first commute on the fixed wheel today and enjoyed it. Apart from stopping and starting (it's going to make me get much quicker at clipping in...) the biggest difference for me was getting used to the gear as it has increased by 3 inches. I also noticed I tend to coast when breaking, unsurprisingly, and I need to remember not to try do that!

I like the idea that it'll give me both leg speed and low cadence mashing in the same ride and it forces me to do it, especially the leg speed.

Re: Re:

sciguy said:
King Boonen said:
Thanks, I'll have a read today. Did my first commute on the fixed wheel today and enjoyed it. Apart from stopping and starting (it's going to make me get much quicker at clipping in...)

Or you'll get really good at your track stands:)

Hugh

Tried it and it felt very weird! I'm use to keeping my feet level while track standing, which is fine, but the back and forth movement is something I'm going to have to get used to!

Re:

42x16ss said:
What are your impressions so far? Have you ridden your geared bikes much since you started?

I bet you find some habits may have changed ;)

Did 90k and 1000m climbing on it on Saturday including one of the local cat. 3 climbs. Set a new PB to the car park half way up and would have set a very good PB all the way but met a fella who wanted to talk bikes (and call me crazy for riding a fixed wheel up the Crow Road :) ). Absolutely loving it, great workout and I can push the gear fine on climbs I'd usually drop to something smaller on. I've found that as long as you are out of the saddle the strain on your knees isn't too bad as you're leaning over the handlebars so your drive is longer anyway. I pretty much always climb out of the saddle so it really works for me. Descending is a bit hairy (50kph on a 70" is about all I can do then I have to back off a bit) but it's brilliant fun. Pretty sure it will end up being my main bike!

I've only ridden the fixed wheel since I made the change, but brought the geared bike into work today as I'm riding with someone new to the area. Freewheeling felt very weird, I could hardly do it, putting my feet level to bunny hop also felt very strange! Felt a bit strange trying to push a bigger gear too, but also strange on smaller gears, so I may vary the fixed a bit for commuting and turn it into a bit more of a workout.

All in all I'm loving it, if I plan my route well I can easily get in long days and I can climb anything up to about 12% on the 70" it seems. Really glad I made the switch :D I'd recommend it to anyone who is considering giving it a go!

I used to do a LOT of early season training on a fixed singlespeed (no prizes for guessing the setup ;) ) and found that I shifted far less when I changed back to my race bike. It was great and forced you to choose routes based on what you wanted to achieve. I also feel that it makes your pedal stroke much more fluid, because if it isn't good, you will struggle a lot on hills.

It's definitely made me more aware of my pedalling and when is best to apply power. I do feel I climb better on the fixed, probably because I just have to go rule #5 and push the gear :D

Was out on the road bike on Wednesday and freewheel felt very weird, I could tell I was doing a lot less of it and I could certainly push bigger gears. Very glad to see some benefits creeping through as I was feeling my training was starting to stagnate. Got a long ride in the rain planned tomorrow morning and I'm trying to decide which bike to take. The climbing will be tough on the fixed but doable and I'm thinking it'll help, but I have a long, hard sportive coming up and I also think I need some long miles in my legs. So I'll probably take the fixed wheel :D

I'm currently on 44x17, I'm considering putting a 16 or even 15 at the back for my commute as it's only 10k and I could treat it as a hard, fast workout, but I'm not sure I can be bothered swapping sprockets :) Guy who rides a fixed wheel to lead our fast rides runs 48x18, so that's the kind of gear I'd like to be able to push on the climbs round here (although there's no chance i'd get up the Tak Ma Doon on that!).

I've ridden a fixed gear for almost twenty years now. For the first ten of those I tended to alternate workouts with the road bike and the free wheel always felt slightly odd as you describe it--I tended to coast on it much less. In recent years I only use a road bike at all for several days of climbing in actual mountains. In the city I tend to run a 49 X 15 and sometimes a 51 x 15 for distance trips out and the former gearing has worked fine in San Francisco, London, Pittsburgh and New York. I personally think you'll find over time that if riding in an urban context it's a much superior way of getting and around and training and that your climbing will improve immensely as well as the free wheel coming to seem effortless and useful again--even leisurely when you're actually doing rides that require it. The biggest issue with it is getting stuck in groups with riders who aren't fully attentive given the slight difference needed to react.

But assuming I can get registered for it, I'll do the next London/Edinburgh/London on the same set up.

carton said:
King Boonen said:
So... Fixed wheel drive-chains really can cut through fingers...
Sounds bad. Hope you're ok.

I'll live, detailed it a bit more in the "Where did you ride" thread in the general sub-forum.

Short version, severed half the end of my finger through the bone, surgery to reattach, it'll survive but 6+ months until the nerves heal, currently no feeling in the re-attached part. Looks a mess now but lasting effects should be only a weird nail and a bit of scaring.

I'm back on the bike but can't use STI hoods/levers, so riding everything, club runs, an upcoming sportive, climbing sessions etc. on the fixed wheel (and loving it ;) ).

King Boonen said:
I'll live, detailed it a bit more in the "Where did you ride" thread in the general sub-forum.

Short version, severed half the end of my finger through the bone, surgery to reattach, it'll survive but 6+ months until the nerves heal, currently no feeling in the re-attached part. Looks a mess now but lasting effects should be only a weird nail and a bit of scaring.

I'm back on the bike but can't use STI hoods/levers, so riding everything, club runs, an upcoming sportive, climbing sessions etc. on the fixed wheel (and loving it ;) ).
Good to hear they could reattach it and you're back on the bike. I was following that thread but must have missed a couple of posts. Hope all continues to improve.

Have been pining for a fixie myself, but the geography (and my weight) make it a bit tough to justify. Carrying 98kg up my regular 6.5km @ 6.5% training ride hill isn't really fixie stuff. I've committed myself get down to 85kg or my times up that hill down 10 minutes before buying a new bike.

carton said:
King Boonen said:

Good to hear they could reattach it and you're back on the bike. I was following that thread but must have missed a couple of posts. Hope all continues to improve.

Have been pining for a fixie myself, but the geography (and my weight) make it a bit tough to justify. Carrying 98kg up my regular 6.5km @ 6.5% training ride hill isn't really fixie stuff. I've committed myself get down to 85kg or my times up that hill down 10 minutes before buying a new bike.

Seems to be going well thanks.

That's about 1km longer than the longest climb I have locally but a similar gradient, I manage it fine on the 70" but I'm only carrying around 73kgs up there! Everywhere round here is hilly, hence the short gear, but I've really enjoyed getting out and climbing on it.

TRENDING THREADS