• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How much money is Bruyneel making?

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:
It must be a lot. Think about it: by hiring Bruyneel you are guaranteed a TDF win and no positive tests.

Wrong forum. All talk of the Hog and Positive tests should be in the clinic

May 6, 2009
Visit site
In Johan Bruyneel's book he claimed that when he signed Dutch sprinter Max van Heeswijk who was on the cycling scrapeheap (what happened to him BTW?) for USPS, there was no money left to pay for him, so Bruyneel at the heat of the moment paid van Heeswijk's salary out of his own pocket, which was 10% of what Bruyneel earned per year. This was for the 2003 season.

Fair to say he was good money then, and is now.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
In Johan Bruyneel's book he claimed that when he signed Dutch sprinter Max van Heeswijk who was on the cycling scrapeheap (what happened to him BTW?) for USPS, there was no money left to pay for him, so Bruyneel at the heat of the moment paid van Heeswijk's salary out of his own pocket, which was 10% of what Bruyneel earned per year. This was for the 2003 season.

Fair to say he was good money then, and is now.

That would mean The Hog was making around $1 million a year in 2003, about what I have heard. For Astana it was supposedly $2-3 million a year. As an owner of the team you can clear some serious cash, especially when you pay most of your riders next to nothing.

I am sure The Hog made up the deficit by selling bikes out of the back of the Service Course like Julian has been doing for years.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
When he signed van Heeswijk he talked about 'getting a quality rider on the cheap' so that left me to think it was between the 30-50k mark.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
When he signed van Heeswijk he talked about 'getting a quality rider on the cheap' so that left me to think it was between the 30-50k mark.

I know guys on the team in the late 90's with 1/2 the palmares of Max who were making 100K USD. The lowest paid Neo-pro was making 24k (Euros). He had not won many races but was a proven worker in the classics, something they needed bad. In 2002 he had made the podium of the Dutch championships and top 10 Paris Roubiax. That is worth some $$$

Max had a huge 2004. Not just winning races but being a key classics guy. That year he was worth 300k +, but likely did not get close.

TRENDING THREADS