• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How patriotic are cycling fans?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What country are you and your favorite rider from?

• I'm from other; favorite is not from same country.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My favorite rider (as a person) is definitely Kurt Asle Arvesen, followed by Jens Voigt and then Haussler.

I also enjoy watching exciting riders like EBH, Gilbert and Spartacus. I guess I'm a bit patriotic, but not overly so.

A

Anonymous

EBH is my favorite. He is just a beast, and I love to watch him pound everyone into submission.

Kenny van Hummel because he has more guts and determination than half the peloton.

After that, probably Ben Jacques-Maynes domestically.

I'm from the Netherlands, favorite of all-time is [blank] (Merckx i guess, but that's more for a pure admiration thing than deep love for him). I guess from the current ranks it probably Vino.... But in the end I'd never root for Vino over Gesink, say, if those two were in the finale of a big race together. Petty nationalistic pride takes over I guess.

Thoughtforfood said:
EBH is my favorite. He is just a beast, and I love to watch him pound everyone into submission.

I really enjoy watching boasson, too, but I'm norwegian, so i guess there's an element of patriotism in it. (I also like both hushovd and arvesen, but i like to think i'd like these riders regardless. might be deluding myself, though.) The poll is hard to answer; i don't think I've ever had one, single, favourite. There's a lot of riders i like, and the majority is, obviously, not from norway. Many italians and spaniards, for some reason..Simoni was a big favourite of mine. Pantani before that. Bettini. Nibali. Bennati amongst the sprinters. Iban Mayo! Also, I've always liked flecha. It's a long list, when i start to think..

I am in the U.S.

I don't have one favorite rider. I like Simoni and Cunego. Andy Schleck is growing on me quickly. I did not really care for Contador before, but this year he showed a lot of guts in a really difficult situation; I hope he continues to occasioally take chances in races.

As for American riders I have decided to support Tommy D. Yeah, it's a thankless job with poor rewards, but someone has to do it. ;)

EDIT: Forgot Voeckler. I am also starting to come around to pulling for Evans; I want to see the aggressiveness from last year continue.

Am from the US.

My favorite was Kloden for sometime, but a few others have begun to shine for me. I love watching Boonen and (now) Haussler in the spring, and I'm becoming a big fan of little Andy Schleck--largely b/c he comes off very well in his CN diary feature. If only he wasn't riding for Riis, who I think is one of the two-faciest hypocrites in the sport. I also like the GT underdogs. Nibali is near the top of the list.

I refuse to make a decision. :mad:

Favorite US cyclist: VDV. (Jeff Louder, domestically.) I also really like Katie Compton and Kristin Armstrong. Strong, strong ladies.

As for nationalism: I have a Joycian view of it.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Curious that we have no Australian votes yet, but then I realized it is still early (Thursday) morning over there...

To answer your question, it is hard for me to vote for this, I was born in New Zealand, and still carry a NZ passport (I don't have Australian citizenship), but I'm 3 weeks short of living here for 11 years. Myracing licence is through Cycling Australia, and if you listen to my accent, you would have no idea where I was born, unless I told you. As for your four questions you put in your OP, here they are:

1) Who is your most favorite rider? It's really hard to answer this, as I like a lot of riders. But if I were to get off the fence, I would say it is Contador. On a more local front, we have a few current and ex-pro's that live here during the off-season (and are locals as well), and I ride with them sometimes, and they seem friendly enough.
2) What country is he from? España
3) What country are you from? See above.
4) Are the answers to (2) and (3) the same? I would say no.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
1) Big fan of Robbie McEwen and I like to see Evans win.
2) Oz
3) Oz
4) Yes indeed.

Outside of Oz I like Sylvain Chavanel.

I hate anyone who rides for Saxo Bank and Radio Shack.
I also hate that pr@@k Tom Boonen.

I love the French.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Just curious...

1) Who is your most favorite rider?
2) What country is he from?
3) What country are you from?
4) Are the answers to (2) and (3) the same?

Answer the poll, too, please.
Gilbert/Boonen/Most Belgians
Belgium
Belgium
Yes:cool:

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm from PNG live in OZ, don't know any cyclists from PNG.

Favourites
Evans/Voigt/Gilbert

least-favoured
Hamilton or his unborn twin. Riding style was OK but what a load of BS after his drug +ve.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Roman Kreuziger. Guy is developing fast and gets in the mix all the time,maybe 2 or 3 years more for a big win. Sylvain Chavanel,guy is really,really fast,he climbs pretty good but I think he will have a couple of big wins this year. I used to like Robbie,after seeing the way he treats his fans and his family (brother) he appears to be a really nice guy,not afraid of rubbing his wheel on anybody at 50 mph.Very disappointed that he wants to race a crit with 60 guys and call it a championship.still like him

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I emigrated from Republic of South Africa to the United States of America, eventually making my way to the Republic of California (some might say, that's full circle.)

At this moment, my favorite rider is Gilberto Simoni.

Go figure.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
tifosa said:
I emigrated from Republic of South Africa to the United States of America, eventually making my way to the Republic of California (some might say, that's full circle.)

At this moment, my favorite rider is Gilberto Simoni.

Go figure.

I hope he does a run at Lampre and ditches the Rock idea. SA has the biggest shrimp,fruit and veggies I have ever seen. There are lots of surf spots in CA that remind me of SA. CA doesn't have that gunman/criminals coming into the shopping mall and robbing everybody thing but close.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
My favourite rider was Italian.

I come from the US, but live in Germany, and became a cycling fan in Germany.

Susan

Do you mean 'was' as in past tense? No longer alive? Pantani?

To the thread title. I'm Australian. Australians are only my favourite athletes in Rugby League, AFL (not that I watch often), Cricket, Triathlon, Swimming and Surfing.

That will never change for cycling, unless a miracle happens.

Favourite current cyclist. Valverde, followed closely by Contador. Also fond of the riding styles of Samu, Schleck 1 and 2, Cancellara, Hushovd, Cunego, Gilbert, Vino and Rasmussen.

Also have an appreciation that grew last year for one Jan Ullrich. Other retired cyclists include Lemond, Hinault, Fignon to name the big ones.

Aussie favourites? I like Haussler and McEwen. Don't mind Lloyd, Gerrans or O'Grady. The rest? Well they are aussies so I'd be pleased to see them do well, but I'd prefer one of the others I've mentioned win.

Colombian-born living in USA & Italy- my love affair with cycling started in the beginning of the 80's when my compatriots Luis Herrera & Fabio Parra stormed Europe with their climbing skills-so I get really exited when a compatriot is riding!! but I must say: I never liked Botero at all!!!!
I'd love to see Soler & Urrego develop their careers even further, now that they found in Caisse a solid team.

since I'm old school, I have, I do and always will like the aggressive riding style of the French & the Italian. I was a fan of Bernard Hinault, Stephen Roche, Pedro Delgado, Greg Lemond, Sean kelly and pretty much all the stars from the golden era. the 90's passed by dead to me, only the exception of Marco Pantani-regardless of what fueled his victories. then Simoni & Basso caught my enthusiasm a bit. nowadays I like Contador a lot, so Andy Schleck & LL Sanchez-Valverde still makes the cut for me, & I really enjoy Heinrich Haussler & Thor Hushov. :)

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm British but i enjoy watching the racing from Belgium in the spring above all other races. Consequently, my favourite riders have usually been Belgian (all time = Museeuw, current = Gilbert).
However, I have always taken a disproportionate amount of pleasure (pride?) from good results for Hammond & Hunt. Their performance for Cervelo were a highpoint of last season but overshadowed by Gilbert's at the end of the season.
If it's a race I'm not too bothered about (eg. TdF) I confess I get more interested (patriotic?) when Brits are doing well.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
As for American riders I have decided to support Tommy D. Yeah, it's a thankless job with poor rewards, but someone has to do it. ;)

EDIT: Forgot Voeckler. I am also starting to come around to pulling for Evans; I want to see the aggressiveness from last year continue.

I am with you on both those accounts. Saw TD race Mt Evans more than once, have some people in common, have to be a fan until my endurance runs out.

Also, have to love Voeckler, he a lot of spirit. I believe/hope he is clean and love how he held onto the yellow jersey for so long (was that 2005?)