• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How to Use the Ignore Feature

If there is a member of the site whom you find to be personally annoying, and know you don't want to read any of their posts, the best solution is to just ignore them.

Thankfully, CyclingNews forums has an Ignore feature. Here's how to use it:

First, find a post by the user you wish to ignore:

Ignore-1.jpg

=========================================================

Click on that person's name, this gives you a drop down menu, choose "View Public Profile":

Ignore-2.jpg

=========================================================

Once there, look for the 2nd tab from the left, called "User Lists", click it, which brings up another drop down menu. From there, simply select "Add to Ignore List":

Ignore-3-1.jpg

Confirm that you wish to Ignore, and you're ready to surf in peace.

I think the ignore feature is just papering over the problem. The only ones who will use it are the regular members. Meanwhile the casual readers will still see a deluge of stupidity from our resident troll. It won't be so bad because fewer people will respond to him, but it will still be disruptive.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
It's pointless because somebody needs to quote the post made by the person on ignore and they will see it. I mean I could put BPC on ignore, but for example blackcat quotes one of his posts, then I will see it. So what is the point?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Like Bro said, I've put many on ignore but I still have to wade through the threads, and not to mention if someone quotes the one I'm ignoring, I'll see the post.

Ban a poster immediately or whatever you can do to stop them posting, if she/he can't stay on topic, would be much more fun to read than wading through 20 pages of garbage from a troll.

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I am not representing Cycling News, or saying this is how CN is going to deal with the problem of so-called trolls. The purpose of this thread, and little tutorial is just to show how to use the ignore feature. That's it.

The ignore feature can be helpful, and it's a good tool to use to avoid at least a lot of posting you're not interested in dealing with when the staff at CN don't have the time to promptly delete posts or ban miscreants who truly deserve it.

The process of tracking down "trolls" and permanently banning them is certainly a goal. that is being pursued, and something some of us have put a lot of effort into seeing through. Some have been banned recently. And the plan is to get repeated offenders permanently banned. It's just that not all the ducks are in a row just yet with the holiday season, so the hammer has yet to fall for the hardest, let alone final, time.

I should also note that I do not have the power to ban anyone.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I visit another forum and we have had a poster that was given a perma ban, and has had more multiple accounts then BPC ever has. It was something upto 15-20 multi's/troll accounts. They had ISP banned him, and that is what killed him from coming back.

Why should I ignore someone who is so ridiculous? It's obvious that they shouldn't be a member here.

If people are actually encouraged to ignore an individual, it says there is a problem.

I will feed the troll, and quote his posts if it's what it takes.

Roadhouse

BANNED
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
now if someone is just being irrational beyond any reasonable doubt than sure, ignore them and put them on your list. but if it's just because the main majority of users are friendly and like back in middleschool, friends stick together and anything outside of that little circle should be ignored, then that's that certain circle's problem and still a pretty elementary one. i've been around enough to know the difference and still i choose to ignore no one.

my two cents but i doubt i'll be hanging around this forum for much longer or with enthusiasm.

thanks for letting me register though,

Preston.

Roadhouse

BANNED
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
That's too bad we'll really miss your knowledge filled insightfull posts on the topic of pro cycling as it pertains to one pro cyclist.

there goes that middleschool circle thing. who's we? wait, don't answer.i can see by your location that you are in bad taste anwyho.

that was fun, thanks.

Roadhouse said:
there goes that middleschool circle thing. who's we? wait, don't answer.i can see by your location that you are in bad taste anwyho.

that was fun, thanks.

OK, you're right, we (the Cyclingnews forum) probably won't miss you after all. You made me feel better, thanks.

Actually my location says "just outside of good taste", if you listed your location as just outside of Austin I would not automatically assume that you were in Dallas.

Roadhouse

BANNED
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
OK, you're right, we (the Cyclingnews forum) probably won't miss you after all. You made me feel better, thanks.

Actually my location says "just outside of good taste", if you listed your location as just outside of Austin I would not automatically assume that you were in Dallas.

next to you i'm beginning to feel like an astronaut, a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist all in one. thanks, i may hang out awhile after all. who knows, maybe some team will pick me up..Livestrong, I'm available.

Roadhouse

BANNED
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:

what the hell is that? let me explain something to you missy, if i was to say i was outside of Austin, then i wouldn't be in Austin thus for i could only be considered outside of it and not too mention, i said so in the first place. now if the shoe fits then wear it or in your case, the dunce cap.

"Fly me to the moon!!" :)

Roadhouse said:
what the hell is that? let me explain something to you missy, if i was to say i was outside of Austin, then i wouldn't be in Austin thus for i could only be considered outside of it and not too mention, i said so in the first place. now if the shoe fits then wear it or in your case, the dunce cap.

"Fly me to the moon!!" :)

Never have 70 words been more wasted.

Roadhouse

BANNED
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
you counted my words? too funny. and here in Texas if i were to say i was just outside of Austin than i could very well be in Dallas but i prefer being just outside of Austin here in Houston. and your lack of ability to ignore me on the how to use the ignore feature thread speaks volumes about you and the people in your circle, just saying.

me? i said i'll chose to ignore no one and besides, you keep giving me candy so what the hey, i like you...:)

Roadhouse

BANNED
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Kudos to the moderators of this place for not banning me and for not removing those posts. i only went that distance to prove what an ignore feature should be capable of and that people need insight to be able to use it if you are going to. petty to argue like that anywhere let alone a simple forum just to show one another up.

anywho, it's a nice cycling forum you all have here and i appreciate you letting me hang around and i for one will not be using the ignore feature on anyone.

Preston.

Roadhouse said:
Kudos to the moderators of this place for not banning me and for not removing those posts. i only went that distance to prove what an ignore feature should be capable of and that people need insight to be able to use it if you are going to. petty to argue like that anywhere let alone a simple forum just to show one another up.

anywho, it's a nice cycling forum you all have here and i appreciate you letting me hang around and i for one will not be using the ignore feature on anyone.

Preston.

Interesting sentiment from someone who's first post was
Roadhouse here. didn't see any newbie threads so thought i'd say aloha in my own thread. thanks for having me and looking forwards to annoying the hell outta you Lance haters!

Preston.
I really don't consider myself part of any circle and will agree or disagree with any post or poster based on what I consider to be the merits of their statements. What you call "Lance haters" are the cycling fans who no longer are able to be fooled by the Lance PR campaign. But the real "haters" are the people who hate anyone who disapproves of their hero.

TRENDING THREADS