• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How to Use the Ignore Feature

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roadhouse said:
Kudos to the moderators of this place for not banning me and for not removing those posts. i only went that distance to prove what an ignore feature should be capable of and that people need insight to be able to use it if you are going to. petty to argue like that anywhere let alone a simple forum just to show one another up.

anywho, it's a nice cycling forum you all have here and i appreciate you letting me hang around and i for one will not be using the ignore feature on anyone.

Preston.

Wherever you got that from it's wrong. Not trying to speak on behalf of them, but mods are only going to take action if a person is aggressive towards other members, or persistently ruins discussions.

Try not to have any preconceptions and just experience it for yourself. If you come here with your mind made up that everyone is out to get you, you're more likely to have a harder time.

I know you weren't being overly serious, just thought I'd say that though.

Roadhouse

BANNED
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Wherever you got that from it's wrong. Not trying to speak on behalf of them, but mods are only going to take action if a person is aggressive towards other members, or persistently ruins discussions.

Try not to have any preconceptions and just experience it for yourself. If you come here with your mind made up that everyone is out to get you, you're more likely to have a harder time.

I know you weren't being overly serious, just thought I'd say that though.

i was dead serious. and the only preconception i have is that you may just have a preconception about me but in a way you kinda just proved it as i don't think anyone is out to get me other than me and i could care less one way or the other if they were anywho. just saying but thanks for the 'insight'.

Roadhouse

BANNED
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Well all in all that was the most fun I've ever had introducing myself on a forum. Thanks ladies and no hard feelings, I'm just goofing around.

Preston.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think the ignore feature is just papering over the problem. The only ones who will use it are the regular members. Meanwhile the casual readers will still see a deluge of stupidity from our resident troll. It won't be so bad because fewer people will respond to him, but it will still be disruptive.

In addition it tends to create factions and threads with people telling each other how great they each are like a Private Idaho

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
ya'll spend too much time partonizing coming up with varying definitions outlining what is and isnt cool to post iyho. in some respects it is as bad as the trolling and encourages it.

there are as many " I was here first" "he isnt talking about cycling" I am talking about cycling" 'Your take is old news'....'you should have used search'...blah blah I don't like this and that....

just let it police itself

A

Anonymous

rather than an Ignore Feature

that doesn't show the posts in question...

it would be nice to have a feature that allowed you to put a certain user and their comments in a different colour. like a red flag of sorts, kind of warning you that this person is full of sh*t and guaranteed to raise your blood pressure.

there are a few who incessantly **** me off (i am long time lurker, relatively new poster) and i think it would be a very helpful feature to warn me not to rise to the bait.

it's not a function i have seen elsewhere, so i don't know if it is possible. nor have i ever felt the need before, but this forum is so huge... (why must these idiots post on topics i am interested in, goading me to break Barrus' request not to mention HWSNBN?)

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
wildeone said:
it's not a function i have seen elsewhere, so i don't know if it is possible. nor have i ever felt the need before, but this forum is so huge... (why must these idiots post on topics i am interested in, goading me to break Barrus' request not to mention HWSNBN?)

If someone is doing that, report them, trying to bait people to start an off-topic discussion is as bad, or even worse than beginning an off-topic discussion

A

Anonymous

Barrus said:
If someone is doing that, report them, trying to bait people to start an off-topic discussion is as bad, or even worse than beginning an off-topic discussion
no, it is my problem -- not theirs; there is no baiting involved... they are trashing other riders for offenses that could easily be said of their idol.

i'm afraid i have a low hypocrisy threshold :eek:

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Why should I ignore someone who is so ridiculous? It's obvious that they shouldn't be a member here.

If people are actually encouraged to ignore an individual, it says there is a problem.

I will feed the troll, and quote his posts if it's what it takes.

I was trying to hold on but I've sold out and put somebody ignore for the first time, probably the most annoying person I've come across on message boards in several years.

The thing is I cant flag this person for anything other than derailing threads and being an irritating ****. The trolls can be funny at times but its when you get very dull, condescending people try and take over everything.. It ruins it for everybody.

sublimit said:
I was trying to hold on but I've sold out and put somebody ignore for the first time, probably the most annoying person I've come across on message boards in several years.

The thing is I cant flag this person for anything other than derailing threads and being an irritating ****. The trolls can be funny at times but its when you get very dull, condescending people try and take over everything.. It ruins it for everybody.

You say that you ignore me because i "derail threads" but then coming on a " how to use the ignore feature " thread to merely declare that you are putting someone on ignore, is derailing a thread in and of itself. :rolleyes:

Its also funny that you claim to ignore me because i troll and derail threads, but your last attempt to attack me was because I had started a new thread that was completely on topic :rolleyes:

In fact all your "complaints" to me where never anything more than random attempts to antagonize and call names and sarcastic comments.

And while i doubt youll apply the same standards to yourself for the crime of trolling and derailing threads, at least by ignoring me well be spared your random ad hominem attacks that popped up now and again so we are all better off.

Later

TRENDING THREADS