• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How weak is Horner?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Seriously.

He and Tomas Vaitkus have to drive 1,800km to the start of Amstel Gold race and Horner only does 2 one hour stints at the steering wheel? That means that Tomas had to do something like 14 hours at the wheel (speed limits for French parts of the journey are about 130kph)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-nets-a-top-10-in-amstel-gold-race

Chris really couldn't do another session or two in that trip? (Even if he was team leader for the race, letting someone else do all that driving - particularly at night - was pretty weak)

Martin318is said:
Seriously.

He and Tomas Vaitkus have to drive 1,800km to the start of Amstel Gold race and Horner only does 2 one hour stints at the steering wheel? That means that Tomas had to do something like 14 hours at the wheel (speed limits for French parts of the journey are about 130kph)

Chris really couldn't do another session or two in that trip? (Even if he was team leader for the race, letting someone else do all that driving - particularly at night - was pretty weak)

What's weak is putting a Beamer model in your poster name.

FAIL.

129156831681354107.jpg

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
At least he made it there. The same cannot be said for some other "weak" racers. I know I like driving when I go somewhere with someone no matter how far (it gives me something to do). I guess that Vaitkus brought the meaning of domestique to a new level.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
At least he made it there. The same cannot be said for some other "weak" racers. I know I like driving when I go somewhere with someone no matter how far (it gives me something to do). I guess that Vaitkus brought the meaning of domestique to a new level.

Absolutely agree - they should be embarrassed.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
mate - we've all seen the photo you are hardly presenting anything new. I'm glad that Chris was able to have a bit of fun in the last few km that race with someone from another team after putting in the effort as a domestique. Its a great picture.

How about instead of engaging in a swear fest attacking other forum members you tell us what you think about the amount of time Horner spent behind the wheel in over 1800km on the road when the other person in the car was going to have to get on a bike at the end of it too?

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow.

Just when I thought the forum had seen its lowest point someone takes it even lower.

We have argued doping, dating and drafting.

We have conspiracy theorists, fan-boys, haters, and cynics.

But now we have a thread about who didn't do their share of the driving on the way to a race.

Wow.

Martin318is said:
mate - we've all seen the photo you are hardly presenting anything new. I'm glad that Chris was able to have a bit of fun in the last few km that race with someone from another team after putting in the effort as a domestique. Its a great picture.

How about instead of engaging in a swear fest attacking other forum members you tell us what you think about the amount of time Horner spent behind the wheel in over 1800km on the road when the other person in the car was going to have to get on a bike at the end of it too?

Was Vaitkus driving your car or something? Is that why you're being such a b!tch?

This is cycling we're talking about, not driving. When I drive with people to races, I like to do all or most of the driving. Big deal. Personal preference. Nothing to get your panties in a knot over. Not like I expect people to pull me around in return.

Calling Horner weak = massive douchebaggery.

And I'm not even a RadioShack fan.

Martin318is said:
Seriously.

Vaitkus was probably afraid Horner would fall asleep at the wheel. You know how it is with elderly drivers.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
This dumb thread has given me some serious laughs in only two pages. I prefer to do most of the driving on long trips and in Horner's defence if he was the protected driver in the race I would probably tell him to rest as much as he could while I drove. Especially if his driving sucks. Anyway, maybe I'm out of touch due to the massive distances over here but 1800 km is not really a big deal. The guys who didn't make the trip should be embarrassed.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
This dumb thread has given me some serious laughs in only two pages. I prefer to do most of the driving on long trips and in Horner's defence if he was the protected driver in the race I would probably tell him to rest as much as he could while I drove. Especially if his driving sucks. Anyway, maybe I'm out of touch due to the massive distances over here but 1800 km is not really a big deal. The guys who didn't make the trip should be embarrassed.

Canadians, Americans and Australians rarely have problems in contemplating these kind of distances in a car, but my experience is that Europeans will rarely drive fractions of these distances. Perhaps because of population density making highway driving problematic or border issues before the EU became established?

elapid said:
Canadians, Americans and Australians rarely have problems in contemplating these kind of distances in a car, but my experience is that Europeans will rarely drive fractions of these distances. Perhaps because of population density making highway driving problematic or border issues before the EU became established?

I dunno man. 1,100 miles is sill a LONG haul no matter what. That's LA to Vancouver or New York to Miami.

I'd have a SERIOUS problem contemplating that kinda drive...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
I am not European and in no way pretend to be but why didn't some of these guys just jump on the train?

Trains are not always that nice to travel on and getting a seat is near impossible at the moment (unless you want to go smoking)
Also, there is no fast train from Spain to France

Anyway Horner weak NO - he did the trip

Maybe he didn't drive because the other bloke liked driving or it wasn't his car and didn't get an option, I have personally towed a trailer 22 hours overnight and the other guy only did 4 hours. Rules are simple - My car I drive unless it doesn't suit me

YOu could go the other way, all the protected riders at the Amstel were weak... they spend all but the last 30k sitting on :p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Notso Swift said:
Maybe he didn't drive because the other bloke liked driving or it wasn't his car and didn't get an option, I have personally towed a trailer 22 hours overnight and the other guy only did 4 hours. Rules are simple - My car I drive unless it doesn't suit me

Valid point - I made the assumption that the driving split was determined by Chris and not by Tomas

My bad. Consider my comments withdrawn :eek:

MacRoadie said:
I dunno man. 1,100 miles is sill a LONG haul no matter what. That's LA to Vancouver or New York to Miami.

I'd have a SERIOUS problem contemplating that kinda drive...

Wuss. Maybe on a hardtail pan or knuckle it would be rough. This family managed it and than some and doesn't seem any worse for wear.

bh5.jpg