• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How would you rate Milano-Sanremo 2017 finale?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How would you rate Milano-Sanremo 2017 finale?

Votes: 7 8.4%

Votes: 19 22.9%

Votes: 22 26.5%

Votes: 17 20.5%

Votes: 4 4.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Sagan

• Total voters
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Echoes said:
Did you enjoy Gougeard's attack on the Capo Berta, Maarten? ;)

I always like riders trying to anticipate and Gougeard anticipates very frequently. :D

Unfortunately in the current route anticipating the finale is a bit difficult.......

In the years with Le Manie it was 298km. This year it was 291km. Adding Civezza would make it 7km longer, so it'd still be under 300km with that. Not that I get what anyone (even including UCI) could have against a handful of additional kms.

Anyway, you could just extend the neutral start if it's important to have the race under 300km.

Of course, and Netserk knows it :p , I give it a 8 :D .

50 or so riders in the main field shows little action overall, but what a finish! Proof that the Poggio can still make a difference, three super riders going at it, a very close sprint...I don't understand bad ratings for this one.

Nearly 300km of racing, and nothing of significance happened until the last 7km. I can't give more than a 5 for that! And all that happened in the last 7km was one rider attacked... two followed... the first attacker stays at the front practically the entire time and is the first to start the sprint as well. Hardly any action in this race whatsoever. I think people rate this really high because of the names of the riders in the top 3. I can understand that. It was exciting to watch the last 7km. I just think for a monument, a good monument has a lot more than this.

People talk about the finish as if it was special. I don't understand. Yes it was exciting. But how could it have been much less exciting than this? It doesn't get much worse.

Re:

red_flanders said:
Good race–I gave it a 7. Always great to see Sagan on the rampage. I reserve a 9 or 10 for a solo win. I guess there aren't many 9's or 10's coming soon, but oh well. I enjoyed it today.

Each unto their own I suppose, but what about Paris Roubaix 2016? 5 heavy weight men on empty legs was a glorious 10 for sure. Does Terpstra's solo beat that?

Re:

spiritualride said:
Nearly 300km of racing, and nothing of significance happened until the last 7km. I can't give more than a 5 for that! And all that happened in the last 7km was one rider attacked... two followed... the first attacker stays at the front practically the entire time and is the first to start the sprint as well. Hardly any action in this race whatsoever. I think people rate this really high because of the names of the riders in the top 3. I can understand that. It was exciting to watch the last 7km. I just think for a monument, a good monument has a lot more than this.

People talk about the finish as if it was special. I don't understand. Yes it was exciting. But how could it have been much less exciting than this? It doesn't get much worse.
As the OP said, this is only a rating for the finale. This is MSR. It pretty much always sucks until the very end. Frankly, we couldn't have hoped for much more than we got. For an MSR in this day and age, I thought is was damned good.

Re: Re:

The Hegelian said:
red_flanders said:
Good race–I gave it a 7. Always great to see Sagan on the rampage. I reserve a 9 or 10 for a solo win. I guess there aren't many 9's or 10's coming soon, but oh well. I enjoyed it today.

Each unto their own I suppose, but what about Paris Roubaix 2016? 5 heavy weight men on empty legs was a glorious 10 for sure. Does Terpstra's solo beat that?

I mean in MSR. I think to truly make MSR exciting and epic one needs the breakaway solo. Roubaix needs nothing––it's epic by definition.

Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
The Hegelian said:
red_flanders said:

I mean in MSR. I think to truly make MSR exciting and epic one needs the breakaway solo. Roubaix needs nothing––it's epic by definition.

Ah. That makes a lot more sense....