• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Howard Jacobs - the athletes lawyer

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Apparently this guy can get Papp customers off for $20k. Must be something to do with attacking Joe's character over the domestic violence matter.

http://www.athleteslawyer.com/services.html

I am sure that anyone who was a Papp customer knows this. It is just a shame that big names or rich kids are not getting sanctioned over this.

A quick look at Howard Jacobs site shows this person as a client and perhaps this is the papp customer who Jacobs got off. I am sure you guys have discussed this and know who it is.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...ionships-charged-with-doping-violation_141266

No wonder Chuck Coyle and other less paid riders end up hanging it up. Shame he cant just ring Mum and Dad and get himself off.

If this has been posted before delete the thread.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Floyd spent $2MM with him, and it didn't work.

I don't have any beef with Jacobs. He's an attorney.

You'd be a fool to enter into a doping case (guilty or innocent) without one. It might as well be with one who understands the sport and the complex processes of a doping case.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
LastRide said:
I guess it was harder to dispute the French Labs credibility then Papps.

Honestly, I'm not sure that the post-indictment actions of Papp had anything to do with those people's fates. The FBI gets the data and then follows it. If USADA ends up with that same data, and they follow it, they don't really need Papp's testimony to help them make a case. If they place an order, and the Chinese send it to them, Papp doesn't need to do very much but be the guy who acts as the marketplace. These people hang themselves.

I don't see why you folks have to gun further on the character assassinations. You don't have to like Papp, but at least consider the fact that every transaction has two ends.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Honestly, I'm not sure that the post-indictment actions of Papp had anything to do with those people's fates. The FBI gets the data and then follows it. If USADA ends up with that same data, and they follow it, they don't really need Papp's testimony to help them make a case. If they place an order, and the Chinese send it to them, Papp doesn't need to do very much but be the guy who acts as the marketplace. These people hang themselves.

I don't see why you folks have to gun further on the character assassinations. You don't have to like Papp, but at least consider the fact that every transaction has two ends.

Speculating on what evidence is required for each case? We can do that all day.

My point is that if Howie is offering to get people off for 15-20k then he must be confident of a failure in one of the fault elements that would cross all cases. My speculation (yeah i know) is that it is something to do with Papp. Im not the only one saying so.

http://stevetilford.com/?p=6617

I know Papp is a bit of hero here but if you are going to court to present evidence you need to be prepared to have your character taken apart and not take it personally.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

You'd be a fool to enter into a doping case (guilty or innocent) without one. It might as well be with one who understands the sport and the complex processes of a doping case.

You don't need a lawyer to contest a doping case. Only lawyers want you to believe otherwise ($$$$). Coyle didn't contest his case because he was guilty and knew the evidence showed that.

Coyle's defense that the drugs were ordered by somebody else was the same lame defense offered by Kirk O'Bee. And USADA was able to bring in a forensic IT expert to show it was O'Bee who ordered the doping products.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

I don't think Amber Neben had a lawyer and if I remember correctly she got her sanction cut in half.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
some random comments and thoughts:

-someone has to represent athletes. Sure, almost all of them are guilty, but what about the tiny fraction who aren't? Even if it's one guy, he deserves good representation. No need to crucify Jacobs. Even guilty people deserve representation; that's how the system works

-I think Papp's character has little to nothing to do with the defense of his customers. There's a large paper trail, and his personal character doesn't matter much. In the PZ case, the issue was providing that he was the one using the drugs. Google the name and you'll see why.

-I don't know how Neben got her suspension reduced, but in her case representing herself did work out. The ruling made no sense, though. I don't have an opinion either way on whether or not she ingested anything accidentally; however, like Moninger, she never proved it. All she proved was that she took (and was given) a lot of supplements. Why she got the short suspension after he didn't is bizarre, and seemed motivated by the politics of the situation.

TRENDING THREADS