Howman: More money in doping than heroin

Howman: More money in doping than heroin

In case anyone was looking for yet another reason doping might be of interest to the FDA...

World Anti-Doping Agency director-general David Howman has described the trade in doping products as being more lucrative than the trade in heroin. Speaking at the European Union’s Sport Forum conference in Budapest, Howman said, "There is more money to be made [from doping products] because in many countries it is legal."
 
Topangarider said:
Excellent timing for WADA's statement.
Care to comment Mr. Fabiani?
Yes, I didn't mean my comment to deflect what is an interesting topic unto itself. The timing cannot be easily dismissed.

However, since the Landis case, WADA changed its rules and the PR grame is fair territory.

By taking the first step, the game is on.

Who is the worst drug trafficker of all? The wolf in sheep's clothing hiding in your midst.

Yesterday we have the urine samples. Today we have a campaign on hideous drug traffickers.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Dave.
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
Europe leads the World in heroin consumption - about 88 metric tons/yr
They must use over a hundred metric tons of PEDS per yr yikes

The Regional Breakdown for Heroin Consumption:

Europe - 26% at 88 metric tons
Russia - 21% at 70 metric tons
China - 13% at 45 metric tons
Africa - 7% at 24 metric tons
U.S.A. & Canada - 6% at 21 metric tons
****stan - 6% at 21 metric tons
India - 5% at 17 metric tons
Southeast Asia - 5% at 17 metric tons
Iran - 5% at 17 metric tons


Continue reading on Examiner.com: Who uses most of the world's heroin? - San Francisco Health News | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/sf-in-san-francisco/who-uses-most-of-the-world-s-heroin#ixzz1Ept3Ep9q
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
MacRoadie said:
Howman: More money in doping than heroin

In case anyone was looking for yet another reason doping might be of interest to the FDA...
I will post this here - this is a slide show done by Sandro Donati for the 'Play The Game' conference where he shows the various criminal networks that are behind the initial supply of PEDs from different countries:

One example:
A very significant amount, 2.700.000 doses of anabolic steroids (worth
Dirham 27 million it means Euro 7 million), produced and coming from
an East-European country were hidden in two trucks belonging to a nonexisting Dubai transport company and travelled through Jordan.
 
Polish said:
Europe leads the World in heroin consumption - about 88 metric tons/yr
They must use over a hundred metric tons of PEDS per yr yikes

The Regional Breakdown for Heroin Consumption:

Europe - 26% at 88 metric tons
Russia - 21% at 70 metric tons
China - 13% at 45 metric tons
Africa - 7% at 24 metric tons
U.S.A. & Canada - 6% at 21 metric tons
****stan - 6% at 21 metric tons
India - 5% at 17 metric tons
Southeast Asia - 5% at 17 metric tons
Iran - 5% at 17 metric tons


Continue reading on Examiner.com: Who uses most of the world's heroin? - San Francisco Health News | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/sf-in-san-francisco/who-uses-most-of-the-world-s-heroin#ixzz1Ept3Ep9q
Iran consumes more heroin per capita than the U.S? Never would have guessed that.
 
Jul 29, 2010
431
0
0
The Hitch said:
I sincerely doubt this. They say theres more money because its legal, but then far more money can be made from something like heroin precisely because its illegal so people will pay more for it.
Agreed, this is hyperbole. The whole argument for legalization of drugs is that if legal, you take the criminal element out of it, b/c there is no longer obscene profits to be made. The mafia isn't interested in 20% margins.
 
May 14, 2010
5,303
4
0
Polish said:
Europe leads the World in heroin consumption - about 88 metric tons/yr
They must use over a hundred metric tons of PEDS per yr yikes

The Regional Breakdown for Heroin Consumption:

Europe - 26% at 88 metric tons
Russia - 21% at 70 metric tons
China - 13% at 45 metric tons
Africa - 7% at 24 metric tons
U.S.A. & Canada - 6% at 21 metric tons
****stan - 6% at 21 metric tons
India - 5% at 17 metric tons
Southeast Asia - 5% at 17 metric tons
Iran - 5% at 17 metric tons


Continue reading on Examiner.com: Who uses most of the world's heroin? - San Francisco Health News | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/sf-in-san-francisco/who-uses-most-of-the-world-s-heroin#ixzz1Ept3Ep9q
Yeah, but half of that goes for Pot Belge and most of the rest for taking the edge off Boonen's coke withdrawal.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
It is hard for me to believe that PED use has more money in it then one of the most addictive narcotics. Then again I am sure WADA and Interpol know their facts. It looks pretty easy to get PEDs on the internet.....
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
The Hitch said:
I sincerely doubt this. They say theres more money because its legal, but then far more money can be made from something like heroin precisely because its illegal so people will pay more for it.
I think it has more to do with a cost benefit analysis. It is more lucrative in that certain costs which are there with heroin trade are not there (most notably cirminal prosecution). Due to the lack of such a negative incentive it can be seen as more lucrative as their are no real downside to the doping trade when compared to the heroin trade.

(not that I completely agree, but I can see his argument)
 
Aug 4, 2009
1,056
0
0
flicker said:
It is hard for me to believe that PED use has more money in it then one of the most addictive narcotics. Then again I am sure WADA and Interpol know their facts. It looks pretty easy to get PEDs on the internet.....
PEDS are medicines that some people need .speed etc is another thing all together so David just do what you are suposed to do and do your job properly and all will be good. Stop trying to make a name for your self in the media
by making stupid statements .

Go take a pill and relax one day someone will invent a hormone that will grow brain cells in WADA and UCI untill then we must have this crap.
 
Apr 14, 2010
137
0
0
NashbarShorts said:
Agreed, this is hyperbole. The whole argument for legalization of drugs is that if legal, you take the criminal element out of it, b/c there is no longer obscene profits to be made. The mafia isn't interested in 20% margins.
Agreed, plus i don't believe the market sizes are even remotely similar. Far more potential heroin users than PED users i would bet.
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
Howman like to pretend he is "Popeye" Doyle?

Geez, if Howman seems a bit sensationalist, it is only because he has stood on the Shoulders of Giants. **** Pound and Monsieur Bordy lol.

They have all come up with a bunch of doozies.
Mostly in the name of budget battles...
"Protect our Children" yah right - protect our budgets is more like it.

Howman compares ALL PED abuse to one TINY subset of Illegal Drug Abuse.

How many PED abusers have also used some sort of illegal drug?
pot cocaine jagermeister ludes peyote etc etc etc. PLENTY.

How many illegal drug abusers have also done PEDS. Small percentage.

Illegal Drug abuse is sooo much worse than PED abuse imo.
Presription Drug Abuse is much worse than PED abuse imo.
 
Polish said:
Howman like to pretend he is "Popeye" Doyle?

Geez, if Howman seems a bit sensationalist, it is only because he has stood on the Shoulders of Giants. **** Pound and Monsieur Bordy lol.

They have all come up with a bunch of doozies.
Mostly in the name of budget battles...
"Protect our Children" yah right - protect our budgets is more like it.

Howman compares ALL PED abuse to one TINY subset of Illegal Drug Abuse.

How many PED abusers have also used some sort of illegal drug?
pot cocaine jagermeister ludes peyote etc etc etc. PLENTY.

How many illegal drug abusers have also done PEDS. Small percentage.

Illegal Drug abuse is sooo much worse than PED abuse imo.
Presription Drug Abuse is much worse than PED abuse imo.
you've been out of ammunition for awhile now, the only distractor you seem to have left is minimization. serious question, how does that not get boring for you?
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
lean said:
you've been out of ammunition for awhile now, the only distractor you seem to have left is minimization. serious question, how does that not get boring for you?
minimization?

Saying Drug Abuse is much worse than PED Abuse is minimizing?
How so?

"the economic cost of drug abuse to the United States (alone -ed) was $180.9 billion."

"The most obvious effects of drug abuse--which are manifested in the individuals who abuse drugs--include ill health, sickness and, ultimately, death. "

"Children of individuals who abuse drugs often are abused or neglected as a result of the individuals' preoccupation with drugs. National-level studies have shown that parents who abuse drugs often put their need to obtain and abuse drugs before the health and welfare of their children"

etc etc etc http://www.justice.gov/ndic/pubs11/18862/impact.htm

Geez, if anyone is guilty of minimization its Howman.

Sensational minimization.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Mr. Howman is being a sensationalist, nothing more nothing less. PED abuse in sports is serious, however his statement is outlandish.
Even if there was more money changing hands or profits made in PEDs over Heroin, the human suffering and direct link to enslaving individuals, and the crimes committed by said Heroin addicts, does not compare in any way to PED abuse.
WADA has taken a step down in my eyes by Mr. Howmans' statement.
 
Polish said:
minimization?

Saying Drug Abuse is much worse than PED Abuse is minimizing?
How so?

"the economic cost of drug abuse to the United States (alone -ed) was $180.9 billion."

"The most obvious effects of drug abuse--which are manifested in the individuals who abuse drugs--include ill health, sickness and, ultimately, death. "

"Children of individuals who abuse drugs often are abused or neglected as a result of the individuals' preoccupation with drugs. National-level studies have shown that parents who abuse drugs often put their need to obtain and abuse drugs before the health and welfare of their children"

etc etc etc http://www.justice.gov/ndic/pubs11/18862/impact.htm

Geez, if anyone is guilty of minimization its Howman.

Sensational minimization.
if anything, howman's comments are maximization, genius.

slower this time, YOU are minimizing PED use by comparing it to ALL illicit drugs.

the truth is located in the middle. PEDs are a major concern and so is heroin.

i make my living as a health educator so i doubt you'll be shedding a lot of light on these subjects, thanks for taking 3 minutes to cut and paste from the dept of justice website tho. :rolleyes:
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
lean said:
if anything, howman's comments are maximization, genius.
:
Howman is minimizing the effects of Drug Abuse, Einstein.
More from the Dept of Justice Report:

DOJ said:
The risk to children is even greater when their parents or guardians manufacture illicit drugs such as methamphetamine. Methamphetamine abusers often produce the drug in their own homes and apartments, using hazardous chemicals such as hydriodic acid, iodine, and anhydrous ammonia. Children who inhabit such homes often inhale dangerous chemical fumes and gases or ingest toxic chemicals or illicit drugs. These children commonly test positive for methamphetamine and suffer from both short- and long-term health consequences. Moreover, because many methamphetamine producers also abuse the drug, children commonly suffer from neglect that leads to psychological and developmental problems. NCLSS data show that U.S. law enforcement agencies report having seized 9,895 illicit methamphetamine laboratories in 2004. These agencies report that 2,474 children were affected by these laboratories (i.e., they were exposed to chemicals, they resided at laboratory sites, or they were displaced from their homes), while 12 children were injured and 3 children were killed.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY