• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

HTC Columbia vs. Sky

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
Now, if they gave each "rider" a lapdance, that really might prove to be a new and "exciting" approach.;)

By who? Brailsford, Yates or Sunderland? Can't see how that would work... unless it was some sort of threatened punishment...

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Yeah, but just think of how much more boring it would be if HTC had a totally new approach like Sky.

Maybe we could all chip in and buy Dim a few pints to wash away his sorrows. :p

why.. its not more than we all expected.. columbia are doing this year just what they did last year.. in sprint based races or tours they are going to dominate..

That said, at least sky have tried to have the courage to do something about it which is more than some.. The rest of the teams seam content to accept 2nd place behind cav or greipel as a result..

edit: cant be bothered to insult people regardless of how funny my original comment was

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
That said, at least sky have tried to have the courage to do something about it which is more than some.. The rest of the teams seam content to accept 2nd place behind cav or greipel as a result..

I also find this very refreshing, good competitiveness between Sky an HTC is only good for the sport.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I love seeing Sky in the mix but don't see them living up to their hype right away. If they expect to compete with HTC-Columbia for sprint dominance, they will have to settle for a series of disappointing seconds....maybe third or fourth if Tyler Farrar or the God of Thunder is present. However, spring is nigh and they have the capability take a few classics with EBH and Flecha, to name but a couple. Sky will have their day, but it won't come against Cav or Greipel.

Regardless, they are by far the best dressed team in the peloton.

auscyclefan94 said:
hendo might win against grepel due to being so excited though would be an odd photo shot with him sitting up clebrating the win with his schlong being quite visible!

tom-boonen.jpg

(Also, lol'd at the "You know who else..." bit from El Imbatido.)

What an utterly stupid thread.

Obviously sky is set up to compete with Columbia in sprints;that's why they comitted so much resource bringing in a top class sprinter like Henderson...

Oh, wait.

The only thing on a team sprinting front to take from the first 2 stages is that, shock horror, Griepel is the fastest guy there by a distance, but TeamSky are the most organised team - twice Griepel has used his superiority to freelance rather than riding much of a train.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
What an utterly stupid thread.

Obviously sky is set up to compete with Columbia in sprints;that's why they comitted so much resource bringing in a top class sprinter like Henderson...

Fail. These things are not obvious at all. If they were then we would not have certain members here who cannot recognize that Garmin is not set up to compete in the same types of races as Sky. But they cannot figure that out, so we get threads like this one.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Fail. These things are not obvious at all. If they were then we would not have certain members here who cannot recognize that Garmin is not set up to compete in the same types of races as Sky. But they cannot figure that out, so we get threads like this one.

Oh so this is a retaliatory stupid thread in revenge for the other stupid threads...

It all makes sense now.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
I am still waiting for you to give us a breakdown of this all new approach that Sky is using. Inquiring--err, skeptical--minds want to know.

I will when you go and demand breakdowns of everything everyone else has ever said as well..

I didnt realise you where someone who gave a monkeys.. ;)

BroDeal said:
I am not really sure, but Dim can tell us all about it. He mentions it in every other post of his about Sky. .

Seeing as you have time on your hands, i am sure you can go through every post where i mention team sky, and highlight the posts where i mention it, and ive no doubt it will turn out to be half..

Alternatively you could be exagerating slightly, or you could just be talking **** in an attempt to draw a response..

Whats up, have the rest of your playfreinds been banned and you got nobody to argue with.. ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
why.. its not more than we all expected.. columbia are doing this year just what they did last year.. in sprint based races or tours they are going to dominate..

edit: cant be bothered to insult people regardless of how funny my original comment was

Do you think Hendo can climb to win the next stage and get one back on greipel?

Greipel is way too fast for anyone really. Each sprint he has lost his leadout man, came from quite a few bike lengths back and has been boxed in each sprint. Sky need to turn up the pace abit more to strech it out.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Do you think Hendo can climb to win the next stage and get one back on greipel?

Greipel is way too fast for anyone really. Each sprint he has lost his leadout man, came from quite a few bike lengths back and has been boxed in each sprint. Sky need to turn up the pace abit more to strech it out.

I doubt it, though as I say at least Sky are trying which is more than most teams have tried against columbia (i seem to remember Garmin trying to shake it up once in the Tour last year).. Sky got it right on Sunday, Columbia responded, Sky almost got it right yesterday but simply led out too early and ran out of riders in the final 500m. I dont think they will stop him, but, i think each day they will look at what went wrong and try and come up with a fresh idea which at least is keeping it exciting. Its just a shame that none of the other teams are willing to give it a go. Yes RS led for a bit yesterday but that wasnt a leadout, that was just Lance and the boys grabbing tv time.

Columbia are the best train in the pelaton but that train doesnt look so hot so far.. At least someone is giving it a go which can only make things more exciting.. Would have been nice to see cervelo at the TdU as I think they may have been another team willing to take it to Columbia.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
I doubt it, though as I say at least Sky are trying which is more than most teams have tried against columbia (i seem to remember Garmin trying to shake it up once in the Tour last year).. Sky got it right on Sunday, Columbia responded, Sky almost got it right yesterday but simply led out too early and ran out of riders in the final 500m. I dont think they will stop him, but, i think each day they will look at what went wrong and try and come up with a fresh idea which at least is keeping it exciting. Its just a shame that none of the other teams are willing to give it a go. Yes RS led for a bit yesterday but that wasnt a leadout, that was just Lance and the boys grabbing tv time.

Columbia are the best train in the pelaton but that train doesnt look so hot so far.. At least someone is giving it a go which can only make things more exciting.. Would have been nice to see cervelo at the TdU as I think they may have been another team willing to take it to Columbia.

When Lance was on the front, trying to leadout, radioshack went backwards. it happened in both stages:D. I was laughing so hard watching that happen. The Liggett gets really excited when he sees that and wets himself. he said on stage 1 that lance armstrong's team mate Gert Steegmans won the stage. How disrespectful?

dimspace said:
Seeing as you have time on your hands, i am sure you can go through every post where i mention team sky, and highlight the posts where i mention it, and ive no doubt it will turn out to be half..

You mean like this one:

dimspace said:
"I think everyone is cycnical, throughout cycling.. but you can read to much into things.. one thing to bear in mind, team sky is being run like no other team ever has.. the week in manchester they spend doing dietary lessons, phsyco head babble and all that stuff, they each got given a laptop, they are very different."

That just cracks me up. :D

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
You mean like this one:

That just cracks me up. :D

And that is 50% of my posts is it..

Wind your neck in and go find another playmate :D

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
No one cares about the TDU. The teams are only there to fulfill McQuaid's global Pro Tour fantasies and to put in a few hundred kilometers. The race is way too early in the year.

Well theres a glaring innacuracy.. Clearly some people care. For instance, as a cycling fan i welcome any opportunity to watch some cycling, so I care (although the result isnt exactly high on my emotional palmares)..

You mean, YOU dont care.. fine.. and a lot of people dont care.. Fine.. But not everyone..

Anyway.. why am i being drawn into this pointless debate..

dimspace said:
Well theres a glaring innacuracy.. Clearly some people care. For instance, as a cycling fan i welcome any opportunity to watch some cycling, so I care (although the result isnt exactly high on my emotional palmares)..

You mean, YOU dont care.. fine.. and a lot of people dont care.. Fine.. But not everyone..

Yeah, I am sure there are many ProTour teams that build their season around the hope they can score a win at the TDU, probably the same ones that target the Tour of Poland and the ENECO tour. Maybe they'll show up at a local parking lot crit near me. Then I can get upset when everyone else in the world fails to give much weight to the crit results.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
No one cares about the TDU. The teams are only there to fulfill McQuaid's global Pro Tour fantasies and to put in a few hundred kilometers. The race is way too early in the year.

I wouldn't say that. A lot of people are interested in it because it is the start of the year and their hasn't been a lot of racing for a while. Also, some riders not just aussies come here with good form so people do take this race seriously.

dimspace said:
but youre the only one who gives a damn...

Well theres a glaring innacuracy.. Clearly some people give a damn. For instance, as a cycling fan i welcome any opportunity to keep score about cycling, so I care (although the result isnt exactly high on my emotional palmares)..

You mean, YOU dont care.. fine.. and a lot of people dont give a damn.. Fine.. But not some do..

Anyway.. why am i being drawn into this pointless debate..