• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hushovd Impressive

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
For a guy of his size to get over those four mountains and finish with the first chase group is impressive.

He deserves the jersey for the next couple of days, for sure.

Petachi or Cavendish might rip him on the Champes in a flat sprint. Petachi may well end up with the Green Jersey. Either way, Thor's efforts and ability are impressive.

For one, I am glad that there will be some suspense on the final day of the Tour.

Does anyone in Denver know the best bar downtown for viewing the race?

May 14, 2009
Visit site
It's a fenomenal ride from him. I hope that on thursday e gets some extra points from the 1st sprint.

He needs at least 10 points on Petacchi or he will have to be ahead of him in at least one of the sprint stages.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
He's doing it the old school wa that Zabel won his last few. Anyone remember the pain on Eric's face as he crossed the line after a mountain stage (after Mario withdrew in the first week and Stuey, Robbie, etc are all driving the bus on the uphill bits)

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Martin318is said:
He's doing it the old school wa that Zabel won his last few. Anyone remember the pain on Eric's face as he crossed the line after a mountain stage (after Mario withdrew in the first week and Stuey, Robbie, etc are all driving the bus on the uphill bits)

Zabel was good. Real good. Pity his legs didn't keep up withs his minds wants. A year or 3 too many in pro pelotons.But I believe he spent that time helping newer riders and their carreers.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
It's great to watch Thor fight for green!

I'll be sad if he ends up losing it because he didn't go for the points on that silly neutralization.

Was Ciolek auditioning for Cervelo with that leadout? Maybe he just wants to see the green jersey go to a solid all-rounder?

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Cioleck I think wants to know what direction is best for his carreer. Another lost rider......

I believe Hushovd has a lot of friends in the peloton, and they seems to want to see him in green. Cioleck had nothing to ride for and afterwards Hushovd called it "a favor among friends". Both Charteau and Voigt(if I remember correctly?) has done leadouts for Hushovd at intermediate sprints.

got to say i was very dissppointed in the leaders group yesterday..

they had Gessink, Sanchez and a number of others distanced, and let them back..

Thor should have been no where near that group but they didn't push

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
ansimi said:
Was Ciolek auditioning for Cervelo with that leadout? Maybe he just wants to see the green jersey go to a solid all-rounder?
Funny thing is, I think Ciolek is actually heading back to Columbia... A bit of a contrast between him today and Velits in Colmar last year.

Pharazon said:
got to say i was very dissppointed in the leaders group yesterday..

they had Gessink, Sanchez and a number of others distanced, and let them back..

Thor should have been no where near that group but they didn't push
At the foot of the Tourmalet they were even taking it so piano he jumped out of the groupe maillot jaune!

theyoungest said:
Gesink joked after yesterday's stage: "You work your a$$ off to get into a group, and then you look around you and see that Hushovd is there as well. Not very motivating, I can tell you."

:D I thought a similar thing when the ITV podcast were saying how well Geraint did to stay in that group!

Thor has been outstanding though.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Lots of love for Thor!! Glad to see...his riding is totally inspiring. I will definitely be pulling for him to take the green in Paris!! Rock On!

May 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd prefer Thor to Cavendish, but Petacchi is way faster than Thor, so Ale should be the winner. Simple as that. :)

The neutralized stage to Spa would have been the same for Hushovd, loosing points to Petacchi and Cavendish.

It seems that the green is following suit with the polka dot. The climber's jersey is rarely on a true climber nowadays. What's next? Yellow for good breakaway riders? :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
avantage said:
I'd prefer Thor to Cavendish, but Petacchi is way faster than Thor, so Ale should be the winner. Simple as that. :)

The neutralized stage to Spa would have been the same for Hushovd, loosing points to Petacchi and Cavendish.

It seems that the green is following suit with the polka dot. The climber's jersey is rarely on a true climber nowadays. What's next? Yellow for good breakaway riders? :)

Wrong...Cavendish and Petacchi were not in the group with Thor...he most definitely would have made good points in that stage. Also, Petacchi has more speed, but is not nearly the rider that Thor is....and its not the sprinters jersey anyway its the points jersey.

are there any news about Petacchi? I do think it's possible that he might have to leave the tour...having a cyclist winning the green jersey who is unter heavy investigation definitely won't suit the ASO.

that could open the fight for the jeryey with even Cavendish being back in the game

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
oevkride said:
I believe Hushovd has a lot of friends in the peloton, and they seems to want to see him in green. Cioleck had nothing to ride for and afterwards Hushovd called it "a favor among friends". Both Charteau and Voigt(if I remember correctly?) has done leadouts for Hushovd at intermediate sprints.

I noticed last year in his big stage 17 break that Voekler essentially delivered Hushovd to the top the climb on their little break away, and then waved goodbye and left Thor to his own devices. I wondered at the time if Voekler was doing it to help Thor as much as to hurt Cavendish.

TRENDING THREADS