• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hushovd not entirely happy with Garmin-Cervelo

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
So it seems as though Thor isn't feeling the love at Garmin-Cervelo this season:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd-to-renegotiate-contract-in-july

He's expressed some disappointment with race strategy, support from the team, and the lack of a bonus being paid as part of being the world champion. An interesting quote from the article:

"Jonathan is a man who usually keeps his promises"

Is this insinuating that JV backs out on his word from time to time, or is it just a sort of laid back way of saying his word is his bond? I'm leaning towards the former.

The other main point is that he (Vaughters) has to raise the funds to pay Hushovd his bonus, which means the team doesn't have a pool of funds they can use "in case of emergency". So they either put everything on credit and pay when they win (which hasn't been overly much this year), or the sponsors have them on a VERY short leash, and they need to beg for money to pay their people. Or there could be myriad combinations of fiscal issues, but not having a buffer of funds seems a little careless.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
You could see how disappointed Thor was with this team in this season's "Beyond the Peloton" for Milan San-Remo. His face says it all during that meeting on the bus. Haussler didn't look to pleased either. My guess is both of them will be somewhere else next year. Good move in my opinion. Vaughters seems to specialize in mediocrity. Don't see any other wins for this team after Paris-Roubaix.

For The World said:
So it seems as though Thor isn't feeling the love at Garmin-Cervelo this season:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd-to-renegotiate-contract-in-july

He's expressed some disappointment with race strategy, support from the team, and the lack of a bonus being paid as part of being the world champion. An interesting quote from the article:

Is this insinuating that JV backs out on his word from time to time, or is it just a sort of laid back way of saying his word is his bond? I'm leaning towards the former.

The other main point is that he (Vaughters) has to raise the funds to pay Hushovd his bonus, which means the team doesn't have a pool of funds they can use "in case of emergency". So they either put everything on credit and pay when they win (which hasn't been overly much this year), or the sponsors have them on a VERY short leash, and they need to beg for money to pay their people. Or there could be myriad combinations of fiscal issues, but not having a buffer of funds seems a little careless.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
wow. can't wait for Thor to move on and make you guys look like the turds you think he is. kinda funny that someone who doesn't carry on and has some class gets **** on. but hey, that's cycling.

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
ozerulz said:
wow. can't wait for Thor to move on and make you guys look like the turds you think he is. kinda funny that someone who doesn't carry on and has some class gets **** on. but hey, that's cycling.

Which team do you think he could move to that would give him the support he needs? I think he needs to go back to an outfit like Credit Agricole.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
lol thor

the most overrated cobbled classics guy no doubt.

after what happened last year, i thought that he was going to be a great world champion and that what he did to flecha was just a one time thing.

right now, i just hope that canc wins the worlds this year (or contador :))

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Finish is actually quite "steep". 500 meters at 7%

The finish is similar like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQO4_STc_CM&feature=related

It's going to be the easiest world championships since 2002 though. Don't let your self be fooled by the small sprinting group in that stage. Someone crashed and blocked like 40 riders or something.

7%?again gilbert?

i thought that it was less than 5%, as tom said.

i just hope that someone with balls wins this one (cont canc gilbert tom)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
c&cfan said:
7%?again gilbert?

i thought that it was less than 5%, as tom said.

I mean around 5-6%. Philippe Gilbert said this isn't a WC for him, so I doubt it. Think it will be Tommeke.

There is only one easy climb every round in this WC, so Gilbert will not be able to fly away from the rest as the race just isn't selective enough. Boonen says that they can reach an average of 50km/h here.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I mean around 5-6%. Philippe Gilbert said this isn't a WC for him, so I doubt it. Think it will be Tommeke.

There is only one easy climb every round in this WC, so Gilbert will not be able to fly away from the rest as the race just isn't selective enough. Boonen says that they can reach an average of 50km/h here.

i just hope that canc takes it. but gilbert has his chances, just like tom. however fabian has only one way.. high average speed and attack with 2km (or less) to go.

hfer07 said:
Ironically, when Hushov was in Cervelo Test Team- he used to complain about Sastre taking all the help while he & Haussler were lacking support in the GT's............... It ain't Karma a b!tch Thor?;)
And at the same time Sastre complained about not having the support he wanted at the Vuelta. Shortly before attacking and dropping Tondo.

Bunch of whiners, the lot of them.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
c&cfan said:

I don't think you'll be disappointed. This Worlds might not have big hills, but it definitely won't be for the faint of heart. In early fall, those roads will either be a little damp or very wet. There could be lots of leaves and/or other debris. There are plenty of narrow, twisty roads. And there's some road furniture, too.

In other words, the position fighting will be hardcore and the risk of crashes high.

Expect a long, narrow, nervous peloton. Moving up won't be easy even if getting dropped off the back could take a while on this course.

So what alternatives does Hushovd have if he were to leave?

Ag2r - La Mondiale A possible choice. He has history with riding for a french team and they don't have an immediate leader that would challenge him but are also perhaps not best suited to support him.

Astana Another possible choice. They don't have a given classics leader but they have a few good riders that could help him.

BMC Racing Team It would be a similar situation to Garmin though they might be in need of a leader as Hincapie gets older and Ballans future uncertain.

Euskaltel - Euskadi Ehm, no...

HTC - Highroad
I have a hard time seeing a connection there given the rivalry between Cervelo and Columbia over a couple seasons.

Katusha Team With Pozzatto perhaps leaving they might want someone to replace him but they also have Hoste so the leadership question would still be there.

Lampre - ISD Who knows what will happen to them so no....

Leopard - Trek Well, if Cancellara were to step away from the cobbles and focus on the ardennes then perhaps they might be interested. Otherwise I would say think not.

Liquigas - Cannondale They have a few youngsters for the classics but they might be interested in a leader. Not sure how Hushovd would fit on an italian team however.

Movistar Team
I can't see them putting any focus on the cobbles to be interested.

OmegaPharma - Lotto Hushovd is friends with Gilbert so there might be a connection there but at the same time Gilbert wants to win all the classics so there would be some conflict of interest.

Quick Step Cycling Team I can't see either party being intersted.

Rabobank Same as QS. They already have their leaders and Hushovd would only complicate things.

SaxoBank - Sungard
Nuyens is pretty alone so perhaps they would like someone else to help lead the team in the classics.

Sky Professional Cycling Team They already have a good classics team so I can't see them getting someone like Hushovd. Perhaps if they were to lose too many of their current riders but thats' also unlikely.

Vacansoleil - DCM I don't quite see the fit there.

Team RadioShack This would be my choice. They have some strong support riders and don't have a strong leader to compete with him. Also he is friendly with Lance. There would be questions about whether they will still be around and about then of course the clinic issues.

Green Edge Green Edge could be an outside but that all depends on what type of riders they manage to get. I don't think Hushovd would be on top of their list but I'm sure they wouldn't mind it as a backup.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I am not entirely sure why anyone is worried about what 'Thor' thinks right now... you're the World 'F**ing' Champion. Outside of being able to cover a couple of FC's moves in PR, he has been utterly ineffectual this season.

Someone demanding support has to demonstrate they deserve that support, no matter what color stripes you have on the jersey. Other than a couple half-hearted appearances on the front this year, we've hardly seen anything from him. Why does he deserve a chauffeur's ride through the spring??

Come on to a new team, show you're the big dog with your legs. He hasn't done anything at all to deserve it, other than to pull on a jersey he won last fall. He doesn't like the 'Whoever has the best legs on the day' strategy?? Well **** man, you are the WORLD CHAMPION!!! If you're really that good, it should never be an issue who has the best legs. Jeebus. It's what you're doing for me right now Thor, not what you did last year. And you haven't shown **** for legs so far, except to follow in one big race. Earn the support, and it will be there.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
why do we have to get flat world champs 2 years in a row? <_<

i don't see thor getting another fluke win this year :p

believe me geelong wasn't flat.
the main climb was difficult and really ramped up in the last 100-200m.
it was a good race, I don't mind seeing a small group -only the fittest made it- contest the win. This year is pretty straight forward in terms of climbs.
Hard to say who will take this one.

Boonen, Thor and Friere should be able to get up there ona finish like this, after a long race. But those guys are iffy of late.

Australia have a tough decision with haussler or goss. Form wise Goss. A shame this edition doeesn't come in a season or two... Matthews would own.

TRENDING THREADS