• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hushovd prediction Criterium du Dauphine

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
After 2 years of nothing from Thor I predict we get to see Thor 2.0 in this race. No longer a sprinter and leaner than ever before, he will climb like a mountain goat and take two stage wins.

acesand said:
After 2 years of nothing from Thor I predict we get to see Thor 2.0 in this race. No longer a sprinter and leaner than ever before, he will climb like a mountain goat and take two stage wins.

I hope you are right!

His focus after the advent of Cavendish has been on improving other areas of his riding, so that means his training is bearing fruit. As for leaner, unless he has been locked in a MCDonalds for the last 2 weeks, he should be quite lean. ;)

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
acesand said:

Unless some magic happened since California where he was getting dropped on regular basis I dont think he will be able to climb with the real climbers. He still got fast finish and was "there" in Cali on flatter stages so there is a chance he may still get some good results this year.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have never really seen him so fit that he is right know(he always seems to have a couple of kg's extra). I'm sure you have seen his instagram photos(the one in the pool and with his wife). Norwegian TV2 interviewed him today, and he cofirmed a weight-loss. He was also stating that he wanted to test his climbing-legs by leading chases in the "mountainius" stages at Dauphine.

Even though his spring-campaigns is inconcistent, Thor always seems to find superb form in the Tour. For that reasons, and the fact that he is 100% comitted to be a helper, I am actually quite sure he will show up in this years edition if he does a decent effort at Dauphine.

Jancouver said:
Unless some magic happened since California where he was getting dropped on regular basis I dont think he will be able to climb with the real climbers. He still got fast finish and was "there" in Cali on flatter stages so there is a chance he may still get some good results this year.

In California, there was a heatwave as far as I remember 40c+. After the temperature dropped, he seemed fine. After that I don't think there were any climbing stages were he should have applied himself instead of saving his energy.

Unfortunately for us Norwegians, it really seems like Hushovd is finished at the top level. He confirmed it again yesterday, and I'm afraid with no ticket to the tour he'll retire in autumn.

With the "crown prince" Boasson Hagen being a workhorse for Sky we don't have that much to look forward to from a nationalistic point of view.

acesand said:

think he will never be same again for me best he can hope for is break away or do few good days work as a domestic.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Armchaircyclist said:
Unfortunately for us Norwegians, it really seems like Hushovd is finished at the top level. He confirmed it again yesterday, and I'm afraid with no ticket to the tour he'll retire in autumn.

With the "crown prince" Boasson Hagen being a workhorse for Sky we don't have that much to look forward to from a nationalistic point of view.

Oskar Svendsen. ;)

Armchaircyclist said:

Kristoff has suck out their lifeforce. Is it a coincidence that Hushovd and EBH decline has coincided with Alexander's rise? :D

Armchaircyclist said:
Of course we have. Sondre Holst Enger is almost as big a talent as EBH was. He's literally good at everything and has an incredible winner's mentality. He reminds me of Sagan in terms of his characteristics and personality (he's even at his level when it comes to acrobatics on the bike). Holst Enger had mono last year, losing almost the entire season, and just got back to his best before Glava Tour this year. But I'm sure he'll be great for the rest of the season, perhaps even dominate.

Oskar Svendsen is obviously still a huge talent, this year he has focused on finishing high school but he'll probably be strong in Tour de l'Avenir. With his VO2 max and FTP he'll have to screw up pretty hard if he doesn't become a top pro...

maltiv said:
Of course we have. Sondre Holst Enger is almost as big a talent as EBH was. He's literally good at everything and has an incredible winner's mentality. He reminds me of Sagan in terms of his characteristics and personality (he's even at his level when it comes to acrobatics on the bike). Holst Enger had mono last year, losing almost the entire season, and just got back to his best before Glava Tour this year. But I'm sure he'll be great for the rest of the season, perhaps even dominate.

Oskar Svendsen is obviously still a huge talent, this year he has focused on finishing high school but he'll probably be strong in Tour de l'Avenir. With his VO2 max and FTP he'll have to screw up pretty hard if he doesn't become a top pro...

---------------
The number of great talents that did not quite make it as a pro, is quite high. But I was a bit pessimistic yesterday, we have Kristoff, and even Stake Langen is a pro with that fantastic name ("Long Stick"). Anyway I enjoy the cycling regardless of the nationality of the winner, only problem is that media coverage goes down if Norwegians suck...