• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hushovd's problem with Garmin?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Cavendish doesn't throw a tantrum because Martin talks about doing a top 10 in the GC. Cunego hasn't even complained about the whole team being built up around Petacchi. For me this is clearly a matter of an inflated ego, nothing else.

And where is Greiple now? Not at HTC, why, because they couldn't handle both on the same team due to similar goals. I'm also sure Cavendish has his set of riders for his designated leadout, he also knows Martin is a possible top 10 and if he's not close his duties will be for Cavendish. Hushovd on the other hand does not have any designated domestiques because they're shared with Farrar, even at the same race. Totally not World Champ support.

Cunego, would be happy to have anything distract attention from him as he's been rather bad as of late, his 2004 Giro is starting to be more of a fluke (I won't go into why here, best for the clinc) so if the rest of the team was set up around Petachi he'd go along with it and even take a pull, what choice does he have.

I was glad Thor found a team in Garmin, but knew pretty quickly it would not be idea.
For the last few years, it is true that Thor has lost the ability to bunch sprint with the best of them - however, in my opinion only, I believe it is because he never had a team supporting him like, say HTC or Quick-step where the whole team was leading out their sprinter.
It always seemed Thor had 1 or 2 lead out men, but had to grab the wheel of someone like Ale Jet or Renshaw.

I admit, I am biased - Thor is always my pick for green. I love how he can drag his *ss over mountains and just picks away at the sprint points.

I think JV should support Thor for Green this year. Tyler's form has been off (probably a little mentally off as well). Thor is coming into form at just the right time. Give Thor the lead out.

I think Thor goes to a French team next year who have no GC hopes.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
As the Tour goes on, JV should see that Thor's a better candidate for green. Hopefully he doesn't realize it when Thor's too down on the points classification.

Also, why did Thor end up with Garmin. Was it a last minute thing to have a secure team because of the whole CTT thing?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Questions:
1. Has JV actually said that Garmin are focussing on Farrar only?
2. Is there any reason to believe that he would be telling anyone what his real plans are this early in the Tour?

To me the whole thing has the air of a web driven 'scandal' based upon some still photos and poor translations. Thor seemed happy enough to me on the podium last night. He may well have had issues with the team (and yes there are many good reasons) but lets wait and see what happens tonight before trying to decide who Garmin are working for (and why)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Bonus or no bonus, I think Thor might be justified in wondering why a former green jersey and reigning world champion is doing lead-out work for Farrar, especially since this year's stages seem better suited to Hushovd's capabilities. Any help he gives Farrar just hurts his own chances. As for ego, it seems that most sprinters have that alpha-dog mentality as part of their makeup. Two on one team is usually a recipe for unhappiness.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
2wheels said:
Bonus or no bonus, I think Thor might be justified in wondering why a former green jersey and reigning world champion is doing lead-out work for Farrar, especially since this year's stages seem better suited to Hushovd's capabilities. Any help he gives Farrar just hurts his own chances. As for ego, it seems that most sprinters have that alpha-dog mentality as part of their makeup. Two on one team is usually a recipe for unhappiness.

+1 Farrar hasn't won a single TdF stage yet. Why a reigning world champion should play lead-out man for this guy is beyond me.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
2wheels said:

Farrar is not your typical alpha-male. He's got that zen calm and perspective that would let him walk away from cycling at any point without skipping a heartbeat if that was what he wanted. Thor has no beef with Farrar, at least not in any shape or form like the Cav-Greipel mindgames of yesteryear. Thor has always honored his contract in a professional manner, and showed his loyalty to JV at P-R. Doubting that, and Hrothas comment to the effect that he's only happy when he's the unquestioned leader, is just bull. Now, Thor doesn't have the luxury of a long career in front of him, and that just makes it that more urgent to make the most of every chance to fulfill his own personal ambitions, like that coveted P-R win. JV should realize that, probably has, and will make the necessary concessions further down the road.

My bet is Thor will be part of the leadout for Farrar today, come in with the bunch and continue in yellow tomorrow. But he won't pull much for him at the intermediate sprint.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
There was a behind the scenes video Garmin did about MSR where JV was talking to the team before the race and Thor had an attitude like...what did I get myself into, this guy is clueless.

JV is a team guy first. It worked out well at P-R, even if it didn't help Thor realize his dream of winning it, and it worked out well in Thor's favor yesterday. Maybe Thor is coming around to understanding JV's point of view. Obviously financial issues are huge but if that can be solved perhaps Thor is appreciating JV a little more now.

ElChingon said:
And where is Greiple now? Not at HTC, why, because they couldn't handle both on the same team due to similar goals. I'm also sure Cavendish has his set of riders for his designated leadout, he also knows Martin is a possible top 10 and if he's not close his duties will be for Cavendish. Hushovd on the other hand does not have any designated domestiques because they're shared with Farrar, even at the same race. Totally not World Champ support.

Cunego, would be happy to have anything distract attention from him as he's been rather bad as of late, his 2004 Giro is starting to be more of a fluke (I won't go into why here, best for the clinc) so if the rest of the team was set up around Petachi he'd go along with it and even take a pull, what choice does he have.
Greipel left HTC because he wouldn't get into the races he wanted, let alone get enough support (but at Lotto he doesn't get a full team worth of support, he shares them with the other leaders and has been praised for working his *** off for them too). Hushovd's big objective was Roubaix, and he had support there. He didn't have a Farrar at Cervélo but he still whined about the team splitting their resources between the GC guys and him. That Cav doesn't complain about Martin because he already has enough support was kind of the point - Hushovd complains even when he does have that support. At Garmin, Hushovd gets support in the races that actually suit him, but my whole point is that his attitude isn't new. He had the same problems at Cervélo and, like someone mentioned, at Crédit Agricole, which leads me to think it's primarily a matter of ego.

Cunego has been one of the best riders in the world in the past 5 years, in case you haven't been paying attention to anything but GTs. He should have quite the status at Lampre, but he doesn't really have any helpers. He shares them with Petacchi. Does he complain? Nope.

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
That Cav doesn't complain about Martin because he already has enough support was kind of the point - Hushovd complains even when he does have that support. At Garmin, Hushovd gets support in the races that actually suit him, but my whole point is that his attitude isn't new. He had the same problems at Cervélo and, like someone mentioned, at Crédit Agricole, which leads me to think it's primarily a matter of ego.

Cunego has been one of the best riders in the world in the past 5 years, in case you haven't been paying attention to anything but GTs. He should have quite the status at Lampre, but he doesn't really have any helpers. He shares them with Petacchi. Does he complain? Nope.

Well thats irrelevant. Has Cavendish ever been a questioned leader? Not that I can remember. If Cavendish wants Martin to do the lead-out he would have no choice. I don't see any reasons to complain about that.

And who cares about the classic riders? If you have paid any attention to the GT over the last couple of years, tell me what this kind of riders have achieved. Some breaks now and then, but nothing more. Why should Cunego be the leader when he can't win unless he goes in a break?

Credive said:
Well thats irrelevant. Has Cavendish ever been a questioned leader? Not that I can remember. If Cavendish wants Martin to do the lead-out he would have no choice. I don't see any reasons to complain about that.

And who cares about the classic riders? If you have paid any attention to the GT over the last couple of years, tell me what this kind of riders have achieved. Some breaks now and then, but nothing more. Why should Cunego be the leader when he can't win unless he goes in a break?

If cav wasnt getting the all the support he wanted on a flat Stage he would have plenty to say. Thor has had the team behind him when they think it suits him. On Saturday they were working for Thor not Farrar. If they felt Thor was there best chance at a win on a flat stage I'm sure they would work for him and give him there support

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Gosta1 said:
I remember the years at C-A when Hushovd was supposed to do leadouts for O'Grady. It always ended in Hushovd avoiding Stuey at all cost, and both sprinting on either side of the road, finishing well outside the podium. One of the biggest egos in the peloton for sure.

exactly and whenever hushovds fails he always comes up with the most ridiculous excuses. and what little respect I had left for him I lost after him crying in paris roubaix in the cancellara pursuit

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Eric8-A said:
It mainly has to do with the bonus. JV's still looking for an additional sponsor to give Thor the World Champion bonus he wants. I think it also has to do with the fact that his spring didn't go according to plan, jealousy with Summie winning Roubaix instead of him. But looking at it from a realistic point of view, will Summie ever win Roubaix again? No. Hushovd has a better classics pedigree than Summie. So he should get that out of his head. The only thing that'll probably keep Thor with Garmin for next season is if he gets that bonus.

how does hushovd have a better classics pedigree? vansummeren has won p-r and hushovd has won? nothing and he's older than summie

Ryo Hazuki said:
how does hushovd have a better classics pedigree? vansummeren has won p-r and hushovd has won? nothing and he's older than summie
From that situation Hushovd would have won as well. But there's a reason he never gets into that situation: he's too good.

Come on, you're not going to argue that Johan Vansummeren is a stronger classics rider than Thor Hushovd, who BTW has won an interesting classic that you may have heard of: the ****ing World Championships.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Hushovd complains even when he does have that support. At Garmin, Hushovd gets support in the races that actually suit him, but my whole point is that his attitude isn't new. He had the same problems at Cervélo and, like someone mentioned, at Crédit Agricole, which leads me to think it's primarily a matter of ego.

Nice one. As you never were part of the inner circle in CA, and definitely isn't in Garmin, what you write leads me to the inevitable conclusion that you quite like putting forward your own postulates and draw conclusions from them.
You know nothing about Hushovd's complaints, real or imagined. As I wrote; he has always been loyal to the team management in public.

theyoungest said:
And winning the Worlds counts for... nothing? You're talking out of your ***, as usual.

the worlds are not a cobbled classic. and think thats the kind of classic pedigree being discussed. besides hushovd has as many chances of winning a cobbled classic as i have. he doesn't has what it takes to challenge the ronde and in roubaix he will always come short because he clearly lacks something. i mean cammon he had done nothing other then sucking canc's wheel in roubaix and still wasn't able to follow canc's attack with 6 or 7 or W/e k to go that got canc a second place.

hushovd is really overrated as a cobbled classic rider imo. JVS gives a team as many chances of winning roubaix again as hushovd.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Vansummeren would've never won PR without Thor on the team, I'm convinced of that. If Cancellara looked back on the cobbles and saw no one on his wheel except a knackered Ballan, I think he would've went for it and caught Vansummeren easily.

TRENDING THREADS