• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hushovd's problem with Garmin?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thor didn't even contest today's intermediate sprint.

JV might be thinking Green will be an objective....for Tyler anyway.

And I do think this year's sprint changes suit Thor more than they suit Tyler or Cav - if he had free rein.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
VeloGirl said:
Thor didn't even contest today's intermediate sprint.

And I do think this year's sprint changes suit Thor more than they suit Tyler or Cav - if he had free rein.

Couldn't agere more. btw. hrotha is now on my ignore-list along with flicker. Aren't many that make that list, but hrotha has a well deserved place.

Roman Feillu doesn't think Thor is arrogant

cyclingnews article

To quote Feillu "He tells Ouest-France that he's more comfortable with rivals such as Thor Hushovd or Alessandro Petacchi. "They have a more peaceful attitude [than Cavendish]. You'll never hear them saying they are the best. I feel more similar to Thor Hushovd, firstly because of our favoured route profiles, I mean false flat, and then in term of discretion."

I guess I will go with the guy that rides in the peloton with him.

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
True Thor seemed to be genuinely happy for Tyler and Tyler very thankful but has anyone seen anything in the media from JV praising Thor for being in the yellow jersey since the weekend. Look at all his compliments for the americans but not one tweet inpraise of Thor and in an interview he complains that protecting the yellow jersey is hard work and effectively mucking up JVs plans for the tour.

How many DS would love to be in JVs place at the moment and be wanting to give him full support for the green? Interstingly Riis and Nygard that have gone out of their way to praise Thor publicly.

VeloGirl said:

If that's the case, then JV is a fool, but then he's also a fool if he doesn't consider the green jersey an objective for his team at all. Thor and Farrar on your team and you don't go for green? Huh?

Thor is now in 3rd place in the points standings and may well have more points if he had had free rein to go for the green. Idiotically, JV wants the sprint support to go to Farrar, a guy who has a snowball's chance in hell of beating Cavendish on points.

At this point, Thor should go for green anyway, letting his actions on the road send a big "screw off" message to his foolish team director JV, then shop for a new team next year.

muscat said:
Look at all his compliments for the americans but not one tweet inpraise of Thor and in an interview he complains that protecting the yellow jersey is hard work and effectively mucking up JVs plans for the tour.

I'm starting to wonder if JV has any worthwhile plans for the tour. He doesn't want to go for green even though he has at least one rider with a good shot at it. He doesn't have a strong GC contender. What does he want? He's mentioned wanting a top ten GC finisher. Big deal. They won't get a podium place. Stage wins? They're nice, but green is better and winning stages fits in well with that goal anyway. He seems committed to underachieving.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
muscat said:
True Thor seemed to be genuinely happy for Tyler and Tyler very thankful but has anyone seen anything in the media from JV praising Thor for being in the yellow jersey since the weekend. Look at all his compliments for the americans but not one tweet inpraise of Thor and in an interview he complains that protecting the yellow jersey is hard work and effectively mucking up JVs plans for the tour.

How many DS would love to be in JVs place at the moment and be wanting to give him full support for the green? Interstingly Riis and Nygard that have gone out of their way to praise Thor publicly.

Not to mention Holm from HTC. He said he wants Hushovd on his team if they get a new sponsor(or maybe if he(Holm) moves on to Leopard Trek. Riis has been trying to get Thor on his team for a long time. They love him, and it's not strange, cause he's worth a lot.

I can understand Vaughters thinking when it comes to green. The sprint stages this year is a mix of Hushovd stages and Farrar stages. Instead of letting Hushovd go for green by getting some 5th and 6th places in the flattest stages (and still not get green) it makes more sense to let Farrar take a shot at the flat stages. It's better to win stages than to have someone finish 3rd in the green jersey competition.

I think the best fit for Hushovd would be Radio Shack if it wasn't for the shady team management. They have some rather solid support riders for the classics that are just waiting for a leader. There he would be the undisputed leader for the classics without having to share duties with Haussler or Farrar etc but still with good enough support to actually still have a shot at something. I think most of the french teams would probably be a bit too weak in the classics. At any rate, I expect he would get Gabriel Rasch with him at least wherever he goes and perhaps he can get someone from his continental team Plussbank-Cervelo with him as well. Øystein Stake Laengen feels like a guy that could be a useful cobbled domestique eventually.

ingsve said:
I can understand Vaughters thinking when it comes to green. The sprint stages this year is a mix of Hushovd stages and Farrar stages. Instead of letting Hushovd go for green by getting some 5th and 6th places in the flattest stages (and still not get green) it makes more sense to let Farrar take a shot at the flat stages. It's better to win stages than to have someone finish 3rd in the green jersey competition.

But a combination of winning or nearly winning stages that suit Hushovd with good finishes on the pancake flat ones, plus contesting the intermediate sprints, is a good strategy for winning the green. Thor has already shown that to be true. Despite being told he's not going for green and not even contesting several intermediate sprints, he's in 3rd place.

As for the comment from Vaughters I saw yesterday in a video about the course suiting more of an all rounder for green with the tough finishes, thus ruling out Thor and Farrar, he apparently missed his own rider's astonishing finish on stage 4. 6th place is worth 20 points. The only other sprinter (Rojas) to get any points there got 8.

patrick767 said:
But a combination of winning or nearly winning stages that suit Hushovd with good finishes on the pancake flat ones, plus contesting the intermediate sprints, is a good strategy for winning the green. Thor has already shown that to be true. Despite being told he's not going for green and not even contesting several intermediate sprints, he's in 3rd place.

As for the comment from Vaughters I saw yesterday in a video about the course suiting more of an all rounder for green with the tough finishes, thus ruling out Thor and Farrar, he apparently missed his own rider's astonishing finish on stage 4. 6th place is worth 20 points. The only other sprinter (Rojas) to get any points there got 8.

The way to look at it is that almost all of the stages where he has an advantage over Cavendish is gone and he only has a lead of 18 points over Cavendish which Cav will overtake in one stage. If Hushovd had sprinted in a couple of intermediates more then it would instead take 2 stages. There is simply too many points for the top places compared to 5th or 6th places for Hushovd to have a shot.