Hype Thread!

This thread is constructed for people to hype up their personal favorites. On the other hand it also gives the chance for fellow debaters to make a mockery of those who believed in someone who turned out to be exactly that. Just plain hype!

For good measures I will start:

Brayan Ramirez 20/11/1992 = 18 year old Colombia junior from Soacha - Bogota. Youth Olympian gold winner 2010 in Singapore (Part of the Colombian 3 kilometer team pursuit squad who took the honors). His first race ever was Clasico Nacional de Turismero (It’s an open race for all categories) Brayan took 4th that day and was immediately hooked on cycling. He is a bit of an atypical Colombia cyclist, meaning he is a very well-rounded athlete. Excellent climber but also a very strong time-trailist who possesses a fast finish to boot.

I just come back from Clásica Internacional del Café (In Quindio) a few weeks ago and after having spent time with a few people who all have worked closely with him, I must say they all echoed the same statement: extremely polite and determinant young man who is very mature for his age.

Last year he won Vuelta del Porvenir in fine style. On the queen-stage the Antioquian’s attacked him left and right (Among them both Sergio Henao’s two cousins, Juliañ and Sebastian) but he just rode within himself and was never in any real trouble. He also won the Colombian Junior Time-Trail championships last season.

One of the stories I was told (To show his grit and determination) was that on one of his normal training rides he did the entire Puerto de Letras ascent. That’s an 80kilometer climb with virtual no stores to buy any kind of food what so ever! I thought that was a cool anecdote. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oUCs6nClqLU/TFD18nd_TJI/AAAAAAAABAY/jMMZUGklOcg/s1600/LETRAS+vert.+Mariquita.jpg

I have only seen him race live once myself (Colombian junior TT championships). If I have to compeer him with another famous Colombian it has to be Santiago Botero. His 65kg makes him look bulkier in comparison to his rivals and his Climbing and TT abilities make them an obvious match!

So there you go, I thereby hype Brayan for a promising future.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
2
0
brayan ramirez is an amazing talent but has trouble finding a team since he is from bogota and cycling in bogota and cundinamarca is not doing well. basiclaly no more teams and not a lot of money. and teams from other states don't usually want riders from rivaling states although that is slowly changing.

brayan ramirez could be like felix baron or juan pablo suarez, a very complete rider, tall(more than 1.80), good itt, downhil, fast


edit: the alto letras is legendary man, arguably the hardest climb in the world. botero won his vuelta colombia on it in 2007 and also after a brutal downhil to the finish.
 
Jun 9, 2010
2,007
0
0


DUDE!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
I'm pretty sure that every european climber would struggle in that climb BIG TIME even in a training ride!
Those 13kms when you go from 2500 to 3500 you could die! :D
 
Aug 11, 2009
729
0
0
Ryaguas said:


DUDE!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
I'm pretty sure that every european climber would struggle in that climb BIG TIME even in a training ride!
Those 13kms when you go from 2500 to 3500 you could die! :D
This climb is exactly what TGBM needs to win his first Grand Tour.

If only Tom "High Altitude Mutant" Danielson had the opportunity to race this epic climb...

As for legitimate hype, I'm going to say that Alex Rasmussen is going to break through soon. If Breschel doesn't get healthy, Rasmussen will have a shot at a good result at Worlds at home. Otherwise, next year's Classics.

Also, people are quick to dismiss him these days, but EBH is still the sh*t.
 
Ive said this before and will say it a million times more.

We need a 4th gt, in Colombia a month after the Vuelta.

Put that climb in.

I also remember seeing the profile for a stage last year and it was like 100km of straight descending.
 
Ill definetly keep and eye on Ramirez, usually jakobs picks are very succesful.

I would be tempted to mention 2 other ones of those here in Bob Jungels or Jordi Simon, as they seem to have unlimited potential in respectively stageraces/climbs, but that would be boring as Jakob has already spotted those elsewhere.

My favourite talent to be hyped is therefore 20 year old italian climber Francesco Manuel Bongiorno, 56 kg and definetly the best climbing talent from italy. I predict great things for him in the future and the team to sign him next season will be lucky.

Also I still have some hopes for complete spanish stageracer Victor Cabedo, hopefully he will develop better than the similar Arturo Mora (one of the most dissapointing talent of all time so far).
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Kristoff (aka TGAK (The Great Alexander Kristoff) or TOAK (The Overrated Alexander Kristoff)) - I am still awaiting a big win from him though!:eek:
 
MADRAZO said:
Ill definetly keep and eye on Ramirez, usually jakobs picks are very succesful.

I would be tempted to mention 2 other ones of those here in Bob Jungels or Jordi Simon, as they seem to have unlimited potential in respectively stageraces/climbs, but that would be boring as Jakob has already spotted those elsewhere.

My favourite talent to be hyped is therefore 20 year old italian climber Francesco Manuel Bongiorno, 56 kg and definetly the best climbing talent from italy. I predict great things for him in the future and the team to sign him next season will be lucky.

Also I still have some hopes for complete spanish stageracer Victor Cabedo, hopefully he will develop better than the similar Arturo Mora (one of the most dissapointing talent of all time so far).
Do you follow my talent-blog MADRAZO? In two of my latest entries on my blog I have rated the ten most promising U-21 Italians and Spaniards. Its worth to note that I have left out every rider who have already secured a contract weather that be on pro-tour or continental level. Which means riders like Jesus Herrada, Pablo Lechuga, Higinio Fernandez or Carlos Verona for example, all are excluded as they all have already made the jump to the pro ranks. I have focused solely on the U-23 and Junior scene.

I have written their biographies and profiles and ranked them after their potential. My subjective opinion of their potential of course.

Since I think you can’t link to blogs on here, I will just put the list as how I have ranked them. Their entire biographies and profiles (if you’re interested) you have to visit my blog to read.

Top-10 Italian U-21 talents.

1. Stefano Locatelli
2. Francesco Manuel Bongiorno
3. Enrico Battaglin
4. Luca Wackermann
5. Sonny Colbrelli
6. Moreno Moser
7. Enrico Barbin
8. Andrea Manfredi
9. Nicola Boem
10. Fabio Aru

Top-10 Spanish U-21 talents.

1. Jordi Simon
2. Ramon Domene
3. Igor Merino
4. Fernando Grijalba
5. Omar Fraile
6. Roberto Mendez
7. Joaquin Torres
8. Aitor Gonzalez
9. Francesco Jose Medina Abril
10. Mario Gonzalez Salas

In a way you can say I hype them all!
 
Jul 2, 2009
2,394
0
0
The Hitch said:
We need a 4th gt, in Colombia a month after the Vuelta.
While that's clearly a bad idea (no-one wants to do GT in September-October), I think there's a good case for making a ProTour, one week race in Colombia. It would be held in May, alongside the Tour of California, as an alternative to the Giro.



(I'll point out straight away that I have no idea of the Colombian climate in May)
 
Could always upgrade the Clasico RCN to something like 2.HC - it's the one more international stars used to do anyway, and is a focal point of the Colombian calendar but not as important as the Vuelta. It's near the end of the season, sure, after the Worlds, could make a good alternative to the Italian late-season classics or the farcical going-to-be-boycotted-or-just-the-stagiares-and-people-desperate-for-the-rankings-points Beijing race.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
2
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Could always upgrade the Clasico RCN to something like 2.HC - it's the one more international stars used to do anyway, and is a focal point of the Colombian calendar but not as important as the Vuelta. It's near the end of the season, sure, after the Worlds, could make a good alternative to the Italian late-season classics or the farcical going-to-be-boycotted-or-just-the-stagiares-and-people-desperate-for-the-rankings-points Beijing race.
it would be better to create a new race in colombia to have perhaps even pt status than it is to upgrading an existing one since colombian organisers and fans don't want a big historical race like rcn or vuelta to be done with only a handful of colombian teams, do it like how rcn was in 80s and early 90s, it had big teams from europe and was done in june. put in like 5-7 wildcard colombian teams in or selections when can't be done with ct teams and it will be fun. best of course in june as ideal preparation for tour like how rcn used to be.

it seems clasica cafe, a new race in quindio this year that was well organised for a colombian race will upgrade next year to at least 2.2 it's a start
 
Mambo95 said:
While that's clearly a bad idea (no-one wants to do GT in September-October), I think there's a good case for making a ProTour, one week race in Colombia. It would be held in May, alongside the Tour of California, as an alternative to the Giro.
The guys who had a bad season will want to do a GT in october. The guys who felt the could get a bit more out of the season. The guys just returning from injury.

Many major companies would want exposure.

Half the teams there would obviously be south American. But the other half top european teams. Guys who didnt have a good Tour and dont have time to prepare for the Vuelta. Guys like Frank Schleck and CVV wouldnt need to be rushing back from injuries for a place in Spains gt. Guys who would like to say they won a 21 day major stage race. Guys who want to earn a bit more money for the season. Guys who wont be doing much racing till February and March anyway, gind a good way to pick up a check.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
2
0
that would be a really bad idea. the clasico rcn in october is alreayd terrible as the colombian teams and riders are exhausted by that time and those with injurys before or not alot of racing days can win it(cardenas last year) instead of the best riders, same a bit vuelta espana. the europeans will also be tired from their season. nobody would want that and nobody would care for it as a gt.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
2
0
that doesn't matter. why need an official 4th gt?? for me that will always be vuelta colombia 3rd or 4th hardest to win stagerace in existance.
 
Jakob747 said:
Do you follow my talent-blog MADRAZO? In two of my latest entries on my blog I have rated the ten most promising U-21 Italians and Spaniards. Its worth to note that I have left out every rider who have already secured a contract weather that be on pro-tour or continental level. Which means riders like Jesus Herrada, Pablo Lechuga, Higinio Fernandez or Carlos Verona for example, all are excluded as they all have already made the jump to the pro ranks. I have focused solely on the U-23 and Junior scene.

I have written their biographies and profiles and ranked them after their potential. My subjective opinion of their potential of course.

Since I think you can’t link to blogs on here, I will just put the list as how I have ranked them. Their entire biographies and profiles (if you’re interested) you have to visit my blog to read.

Top-10 Italian U-21 talents.

1. Stefano Locatelli
2. Francesco Manuel Bongiorno
3. Enrico Battaglin
4. Luca Wackermann
5. Sonny Colbrelli
6. Moreno Moser
7. Enrico Barbin
8. Andrea Manfredi
9. Nicola Boem
10. Fabio Aru

Top-10 Spanish U-21 talents.

1. Jordi Simon
2. Ramon Domene
3. Igor Merino
4. Fernando Grijalba
5. Omar Fraile
6. Roberto Mendez
7. Joaquin Torres
8. Aitor Gonzalez
9. Francesco Jose Medina Abril
10. Mario Gonzalez Salas

In a way you can say I hype them all!

Didnt know you had a blog, (great names all of those btw.) but kind of figured youd already knew I am "Gamblor" from the DP-forums, where we have had plenty of talent-talks. And at least I singled out Bongiorno (and a couple of the other guys on your list here) first, otherwice getting my **** kicked so far by you picking the talents.

Concerning S. Locatelli im very dissapointed he stayed amateur this season and I fear he is beginning to stagnate, but surely he still have huge potential. Hopefully though he and Bongiorno will have some great battles this season in the italian climbs

Btw. youre very welcome to pm the blog-adress, sounds very interesting
 
Ryo Hazuki said:
that doesn't matter. why need an official 4th gt?? for me that will always be vuelta colombia 3rd or 4th hardest to win stagerace in existance.
I'm not saying there should be a 4th GT.

But it would be nice to see a bit more of South American cycling, and see some of the European teams head down there more often. Apart from Barbot taking place in the occasional Brazilian race and the Tour de San Luís, we don't really get that.

Besides, surely you should be on anything that allows the Colombians to crush the puny European climbers like glue, right?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY