• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I fear for Saxo Bank.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
BTW I had noticed that on several stages Contador is without helpers the last 10k-ish. Apparently thats also something Horner has noticed:

“I think he looks the strongest still,” Horner said. “The problem is, he’s by himself a whole lot. He looks really strong at the finishes. He’s doing a lot of work by himself. So maybe that could take some energy away from him. But he still looks like he has the best form of all the favorites."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...ays-contador-still-looks-really-strong_182389

I noticed that too. Usually in the final he is in front of his helpers instead of behind. Which is a bit odd. But once things go uphill that should improve. There are always 2-3 guys behind him, so if he needs help they are there. And that Danish champion jersey hides one of them.

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
BTW I had noticed that on several stages Contador is without helpers the last 10k-ish. Apparently thats also something Horner has noticed:

“I think he looks the strongest still,” Horner said. “The problem is, he’s by himself a whole lot. He looks really strong at the finishes. He’s doing a lot of work by himself. So maybe that could take some energy away from him. But he still looks like he has the best form of all the favorites."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...ays-contador-still-looks-really-strong_182389

That Kolobnev said about Contador after stage 4:

"What most caught my attention today is seeing Alberto Contador riding the last 15 kilometers by his own, taking all the wind and getting the final result after all that effort. Really impressive."
http://www.kolobnev.com/news_individual.php?id=54

May 23, 2011
Visit site
minessa said:
That Kolobnev said about Contador after stage 4:

"What most caught my attention today is seeing Alberto Contador riding the last 15 kilometers by his own, taking all the wind and getting the final result after all that effort. Really impressive."
http://www.kolobnev.com/news_individual.php?id=54

How can this be? The chattering crowd here has convinced themselves that Contador is showing fatigue from the Giro. What do the pros riding beside him know anyway?

ImmaculateKadence said:
Touche :eek:

But don't forget there was a bit of objection to Contador losing over a minute on stage 1.

Just a bit but they chose to let it go and we haven't heard much on that topic since. I think any team ds would've at least tried to get the time loss cut or erased. Once they saw the judgement wasn't likely to be changed they moved on.

hfer07 said:
In all fairness, Riis lost 3 of the best engines in Pro-Cycling: Spartacus, Jens & O'grady -no doubt about it-those guys are unique and irreplaceable, so is understandable that the Team lacks that extra power & mostly experience required to ride the Tour, BUT the current setup for Alberto looks good & currently are doing what they're meant to do before they get set to perform in the mountains-which is when & where it matters the most.

Even Riis concedes that they are not as strong as their rivals on the flats but looks forward to the mountains where their team is stronger and better suited.
I can't wait!

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
Even Riis concedes that they are not as strong as their rivals on the flats but looks forward to the mountains where their team is stronger and better suited.
I can't wait!

Agree, however as Horner says, the fact that Contador is alone alot and takes some wind could zap his energy a bit for the mountains

Cimber said:
Agree, however as Horner says, the fact that Contador is alone alot and takes some wind could zap his energy a bit for the mountains

That is a definite possibility, especially with the fatigue in his legs from the Giro that even he admits is there. No rest for the weary and he's got to be the weariest (is that a word?:eek:) of all the contenders.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
That is a definite possibility, especially with the fatigue in his legs from the Giro that even he admits is there. No rest for the weary and he's got to be the weariest (is that a word?:eek:) of all the contenders.

Yep. I am disappointed by the flat-lands guys on the team who should be able to help him better in the final of the flat stages. Esp guys like Noval and Tosatto but also Vandbord and Nicki Sørensen. On the stages with a rather tough finish like today or on the Muur Porte should be there imo.

Its ok that guys like CAS, Jesus and Navarro dont show anything yet. Their days will come. Though CAS has actually been sheltering Contador here on some of the flat stages, a job that should have been covered by others.

Maybe Riis should have picked a guy like Cooke instead og Noval. Would have been better for the end of the stages where he knows his way around, and also on the TTT for that matter.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Contador + Chris Anker Sørensen + Navarro + Porte + Jesus Hernandez.. there is no better group of climbers in any other team, and of course not in Leopard or BMC.

If instead of Noval they would have brought Larsson it would have been better though. Saxo has taken a risky compromise, but maybe it will pay off in a week from now.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
"What most caught my attention today is seeing Alberto Contador riding the last 15 kilometers by his own, taking all the wind and getting the final result after all that effort. Really impressive." Kolobnev
love it! conti fans in the pelaton :p

as i mentioned on the TDF stage 6 thread, i'm not terribly emotionally invested in contador winning. it would be incredible for him to get get both giro d'italia and TDF though, if he has the legs. and if he has the legs, he doesn't appear to need the help that others do in winning. not knocking the importance of the team, just saying. tend to agree with those thinking saxo boys will be good to go in the mountains and conti is capable on these flat/ hilly stages. plus, he does seem to have support from others in the pelaton. i remember samu giving him water last year, wasn't it? : )

interesting observation about AS and leopard trek expending energy staying in the front while saxo isn't. it's essential leopard treks shepherd the schlecks along considering what happened to frank last year. but protecting andy is impossible in grenoble and it doesn't appear andy has improved his time trial skill. i'm not anti-schleck, i just doubt very much even if andy hadn't dropped the chain last year that he wouldn't have lost to contador. and it's fun to have drama :D i hope for andy to be in form. :p

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
khardung la said:
Contador + Chris Anker Sørensen + Navarro + Porte + Jesus Hernandez.. there is no better group of climbers in any other team, and of course not in Leopard or BMC.

If instead of Noval they would have brought Larsson it would have been better though. Saxo has taken a risky compromise, but maybe it will pay off in a week from now.

sorensen and navarro are strong although navarro is VERY inconsistant. the others climbing skills are passable at best. there are way stronger mountain teams

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
khardung la said:

I wouldn't agree with that. Noval has been riding with Contador for five seasons now. He's obviously a man he can trust and count on. That's important.

I reckon he will follow the tactics of the Great " LA and Bruyneel" by pretending to be weak and then attacking making them pace him up a climb. Besides i think Frank would still be around when Navarro drops off so then Frank shall work for Andy and Contador. It's only a worry if he has no teammates halfway up a climb or on a multiday climbing stage. His team would probably only ride if someone from Leopard attacks anyways.

The team are strong enough but i think Tossato should not have raced. I think Larsson should have. I think Larsson would be a better motor and is just as experienced. Cooke is also good at protecting from the wind just like in the WC at Geelong. Porte is the only one keeping the SBS boat on the flats afloat.

On the topic of losing Cancellara, O'Grady and Jens, Riis had enough time to recruit somebody else. I think Big George would have been a good choice as well, Millar as well.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm not worried about the mountains. The flats however isn't good enough. Amazingly Nicki Sørensen, Tosatto, Vandborg and Porte has all been left behind in the finals. Not good enough. Maybe pulling Contador back to the front after material mishaps at critical times has something to do with it.
With the benefit of hindsight it's now clear to everyone that Cooke should have made the tour selection.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
On the topic of losing Cancellara, O'Grady and Jens, Riis had enough time to recruit somebody else. I think Big George would have been a good choice as well, Millar as well.

Except George is more than happy to be at BMC because he gets to wear his own clothing line

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
khardung la said:

Navarro and Hernandez will be ******ed, Porte was quite average during the giro coming off a fair load of racing. Navarro and Hernandez don't really look like doing much as they have struggledthroughout the year. Leopard have a much stronger team. Don't underestimate the old horses such as Voigt and Cancellara on the climbs.

Saxo and Contador could look very good in the Pyrenees, but the 3rd week is what will really be descisive.

auscyclefan94 said:
Navarro and Hernandez will be ******ed, Porte was quite average during the giro coming off a fair load of racing. Navarro and Hernandez don't really look like doing much as they have struggledthroughout the year. Leopard have a much stronger team. Don't underestimate the old horses such as Voigt and Cancellara on the climbs.

Saxo and Contador could look very good in the Pyrenees, but the 3rd week is what will really be descisive.

I agree re Porte but simply that he isn't a particularly great climber. He is good at setting tempo on earlier climbs.

Hernandez, Navarro and Chris Anker Sorensen will put some hurt on especially in the steeper Pyreneean climbs.

auscyclefan94 said:

I would like to hear you after the mountian stages. I'm pretty confident we will see plenty of Contadors teammate in the mountains.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
but the 3rd week is what will really be descisive.

Imho the first (or the first two) MTF-stages are often the most important ones. That is where the riders get to test eachother and gain that psychological advantage/disadvantage that is important for the following MTF-stages.

About SBS, I think they will be ready for the mountains. They might not be the best mountain team, but they are still a strong mountain team that should be able to support Contador well. Ofcourse its a bit unsure whether Navarro and Jesus have recoved from the Giro, but if just one of those 2 are at normal form the team should be fine. There is also CAS who might be BErties most important helper. Porte will be able to pull on the early mountains at a steady pace and maybe the first k on the last climb. Nicki will also be able to do some decent work on the early climbs on the stages.

However, its really is not good enough that they arent able to support him better on the flats. Cooke should have been there.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Leopard is still gonna be stronger in the mountains no matter what.

This is true. And they need that if they wanna beat Contador, cos he looks stronger than Andrew so far.. They need to be willing to use Frank offensively a bit earlier than Andy. But I doubt they will be willing to risk it tbh.