• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I thought all Colombians are clean

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
yep complete outlier. just him, Oscar Sevilla, Santiago Botero....

joking asside, when it comes to recreational pharms the local Colombians are generally cleaner than the citizens of most major cities. Colombia has been an exporter they ar generally too smart to use it themselves. (at least in the past but I assume in the last 5 years not much has changed).

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Martin318is said:
yep complete outlier. just him, Oscar Sevilla, Santiago Botero....

joking asside, when it comes to recreational pharms the local Colombians are generally cleaner than the citizens of most major cities. Colombia has been an exporter they ar generally too smart to use it themselves. (at least in the past but I assume in the last 5 years not much has changed).

Sevilla is Spainish. Rubiano is Columbian

Martin318is said:

No. Colombia has a drug problem, specifically with crack cocaine use amongst the poor in the barrios and slums of their major cities.

Getting high is a human tendency that spares no culture.

Many in the farming communities of Colombia chew coca leaves all day and night-what would that be called if not a drug problem?

for the spanish-readers:
http://www.eltiempo.com/deportes/ciclismo/positivo-de-edwin-parra-en-la-vuelta-a-boyac_10698424-4
I hope they would reveal what was the substance he used in order to get the + because it would indicate how "sophisticated (if it can be called it like it) is the doping level over there-and maybe expose some of those "in the know" of those matters-but we all know we have to look no further than those DS & riders who have riden in Europe & brought the dirty tricks to Colombia....
If I have to look at this situation in a constructive way-I'm pleased he got caught because it means the controls are working there, even at Amateur levels & secondly I support Coldeportes decision to exclude him-they know better is important to start this new enterprise on the right foot & comply with WADA & UCI at all costs.....

Berzin said:
No. Colombia has a drug problem, specifically with crack cocaine use amongst the poor in the barrios and slums of their major cities.

Getting high is a human tendency that spares no culture.

Many in the farming communities of Colombia chew coca leaves all day and night-what would that be called if not a drug problem?

two Questions:
1-)Have you ever been there long enough to speak of those topics "so eloquently"?
if not-then your ignorance has been exposed;) because people who talks about other Countries/Cultures out of "stereotypes" are only that-IGNORANTS.
2-)which Country are you comparing Colombian's drug problem's to? the USA? European Countries? Asian Countries?

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Impossible. Colombians are like Warcraft orcs, a noble warrior race. They'd never stoop to this because every single one of them is immensely talented anyway.

Something about this made me laugh. It sounds like something Vegeta from Dragonball Z would say. Best post I've seen here so far.

hfer07 said:
two Questions:
1-)Have you ever been there long enough to speak of those topics "so eloquently"?
if not-then your ignorance has been exposed;) because people who talks about other Countries/Cultures out of "stereotypes" are only that-IGNORANTS.
2-)which Country are you comparing Colombian's drug problem's to? the USA? European Countries? Asian Countries?

1) Yes.

2) No comparison needed when one sees things with one's own eyes and speaks to people who live there at length about the issues the country is wrestling with.

The fact that you make such a statement gives me the impression that you are automatically inclined to doubt what I say.

So if YOU know so much, please tell us where in Colombia you've been and what sort of people you know there and in which communities, because this isn't about stereotypes but about problems that exist all over the world.

Why would Colombia be immune to problems with a drug that's even more readily available and less expensive than anywhere in the Western Hemisphere?

Berzin said:
So if YOU know so much, please tell us where in Colombia you've been and what sort of people you know there and in which communities, because this isn't about stereotypes but about problems that exist all over the world.

I'M COLOMBIAN
specifically from Bogota-so I know what my country is and what isn't-I don't try to portray it with a blinded nationalistic view & deny our current problems- but as much as we have issues with "drug traffic" -WE-Colombians don't have the levels of "drug addition" that you claim. As I stated it - people like you- have the tendency to link wrongfully "drug trafficking" to "drug addition" & blow it out of proportion, simply because-lets say-it makes sense -If they sell it- they "must be hooked to it as well"..........

you said you've been there..Where? for how long? who are the people you dealt with while your visit?Did the persons you met there are drug addicted? did you get involved in drug usage there? where did you get it from? did any Colombian ever "force" you to get drugs"?did they point a gun at you if you didn't do drugs? Did you get to see "drug deals" first hand?

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:

To be fair they're probably much healthier than the droves of idiots in England who imbibe alcohol on a daily basis.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
My wife is also COLOMBIAN, also from Bogota and in fact has been back there with our two daughters visiting her parents and other relatives around the country since August - I'm heading back over soon. Her family is the source of my comments from my past visits and they entirely match the attitude that hfer07 expressed.

Martin318is said:
My wife is also COLOMBIAN, also from Bogota and in fact has been back there with our two daughters visiting her parents and other relatives around the country since August - I'm heading back over soon. Her family is the source of my comments from my past visits and they entirely match the attitude that hfer07 expressed.

Glad to read your comments & I hope you enjoy your time over there -& nonetheless- do some good cycling too:)

hfer07 said:

I'M COLOMBIAN
specifically from Bogota-so I know what my country is and what isn't-I don't try to portray it with a blinded nationalistic view & deny our current problems- but as much as we have issues with "drug traffic" -WE-Colombians don't have the levels of "drug addition" that you claim. As I stated it - people like you- have the tendency to link wrongfully "drug trafficking" to "drug addition" & blow it out of proportion, simply because-lets say-it makes sense -If they sell it- they "must be hooked to it as well"..........

you said you've been there..Where? for how long? who are the people you dealt with while your visit?Did the persons you met there are drug addicted? did you get involved in drug usage there? where did you get it from? did any Colombian ever "force" you to get drugs"?did they point a gun at you if you didn't do drugs? Did you get to see "drug deals" first hand?

Just for the sake of clarification, this is what I said-

Berzin said:

You are getting quite emotional and are clearly misinterpreting what I said for the sole purpose of jumping down my neck.

I responded to a poster who said Colombia exports cocaine but as a people are too smart to use themselves. You yourself should know what a fallacy this is, and it was the point I was addressing.

Because if it were true, please explain what is so unique about the Colombian psyche that allows them to abstain from recreational drug use (specifically in the poor barrios), because you would be responsible for single-handedly ending the war on drugs from the demand side.

I never said Colombia was one big crack house. But if you've visited the barrios around Bogotá or Medellín, you'd know what I'm referring to.

I don't hang out with low-lives as you are clearly inferring. But I have friends who are doctors and do volunteer work in the slums and they have taken me along for the ride.

For example, have you ever been to La Sierra in Medellín? Soacha in Bogotá?

We had to get permission from the local gang leader just to enter, and he chose which patients were going to be seen and which were not. The local delinquents make their money by extortion and selling crack. They also smoke it, and did so right in front of our faces.

These are just two examples. Colombia is a beautiful country and the vestiges of the cartel wars are pretty much a thing of the past. I wasn't addressing the situation as an American who hasn't traveled anywhere and believe everything I see on television.

As for where I've been, here's the list-

Bogotá

Armenia

Pereira

Medellín

Barranquilla

Cartegena

If you need to see my passport you'll have to come to NYC. I'll gladly show it to you.

As for your comments, you can get defensive all you want, but please realize that once you get emotional all rational responses go out the window. There really was no need for the manner in which you expressed yourself.

As an aside, (and I'm not talking about you specifically, so don't take this personal) in defense of their countries of origin I've heard people make the most outlandish statements that just aren't true. It's only natural, but it doesn't make such comments any less false.

For example, I once had a woman tell me, with much pride and righteous indignation, that in the Dominican Republic people don't eat not because they are poor but because "they just don't want to", because everyone has plenty to eat. It was as if she was implying that the poverty I saw with my own eyes walking around the barrios that line the Rio Ozama in Santo Domingo was a mirage.

This woman's sister went on to say that many of these people "choose" to live in poverty, when other alternatives are available to them. The only people I know who live in squalor are those who cannot afford anything better or poor people who are mentally ill.

If there is anything unclear about my post, please address the comments in a civil manner. I happen to love Colombia very much and did not want to offend anyone, much less someone who was born there.

Berzin said:
Because if it were true, please explain what is so unique about the Colombian psyche that allows them to abstain from recreational drug use (specifically in the poor barrios), because you would be responsible for single-handedly ending the war on drugs from the demand side.

there is nothing unique about what Poverty forces people to do-the same happens in all NYC slums & across USA as well.

Berzin said:
For example, have you ever been to La Sierra in Medellín? Soacha in Bogotá?
yes I have, & I did my share of volunteering as part of my professional education-so please don't lecture me on that.

Berzin said:
We had to get permission from the local gang leader just to enter, and he chose which patients were going to be seen and which were not. The local delinquents make their money by extortion and selling crack. They also smoke it, and did so right in front of our faces.

right........ I've seen that movie too;) I know American doctors here in Boston doing Voluntary work in my country-and they happen to do it "through an Hospital or a health institution" not in the slums or the barrios-such Suacha or the Southern area(in Bogota)-as you claim.
the USA embassy makes sure their citizens are located properly & safe from the places & circumstances you said you & your friends experienced.

next time try harder & perhaps come up with a different movie script:cool:

hfer07 said:
right........ I've seen that movie too;) I know American doctors here in Boston doing Voluntary work in my country-and they happen to do it "through an Hospital or a health institution" not in the slums or the barrios-such Suacha or the Southern area(in Bogota)-as you claim.
the USA embassy makes sure their citizens are located properly & safe from the places & circumstances you said you & your friends experienced.

next time try harder & perhaps come up with a different movie script
:cool:

I see I'm not going to get anywhere with you, so let me be blunt.

The doctors I spent time with weren't from the United States, they are Colombian born and trained. I never said they were North American or part of any North American relief effort. Where you're getting this from I don't know, but it seems that you are just pulling it out of your rear end for the sake of being unreasonable.

You'd rather twist my words around than try to see where I'm coming from, and I see nothing will change your disrespectful tone.

I guess I would get defensive too if my country of origin, after all the hard work put into changing it's once-infamous image, has the world-wide reputation for two things* and pretty much nothing else-international sex tourism and the exporting of cocaine.

Don't blame me for that.

(*Oh, and I left out one more thing-a great place to get inexpensive, high-quality PED's.)