• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I wish I was 21 today

While browsing the internet I came across the really interesting read which touches on doping in the pro peleton, including interviews with riders, it is from 2010

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0FSXO-fRA-sC&pg=PA152&lpg=PA152&dq=drapac+doping&source=bl&ots=nmuOiwTAu0&sig=FjNGwfZG0kafbFt3k1bpLCwCOs0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=SVN4VK6LJtLU7QaZpoGABA&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Some interesting quotes

Like on Page 65

One riders answers discussing systematic doping on page 65

I think it started to change 3 years ago (I guess from this around 2006-2007). I think they where still doing it three years ago. Systematic. Every team . .... I think some may be a little bit but now they are being tested so much ... but I wish I was 21 now. If I was 21 now I guarantee I would have been twice as succesful as n the past 15 years

Not that I was an angel because I did chiken feed to what they where doing, like bulldozer fuel

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
i think i know who the individuals were, and most australians on this forum, might be able to deduce who the riders are/were.

MArtin is now defending Essendon, more so, JAmes Hird and the executive. Not an exact volte face, but not not an exact volte face.*

*the double negative allows a space for ambiguity. it is not, two negatives = positive. It "could" equal a positive, but that was not "ambiguity". I meant, ambiguity.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I though maybe this had been posted here some time ago, but perhaps not.

The pdf was originally available for free download from the main website for the New Pathways for Pro Cycling Conference when this event happened (which coincided with the World Championships in Geelong).
http://www.newcyclingpathway.com/conference

This was the same event that Landis' participation became a hot topic for some of his detractors.
Amongst the critics of Landis’ appearance are the organising committee of the world championships. They have called for Deakin University to rescind his invitation, and have withdrawn their support from the conference until that happens.

"Providing Floyd Landis with a soapbox to deliver a tirade like he did on the eve of the Tour of California is not something the world championship organizers want," the committee's media director David Culbert told the Herald Sun.
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5711/Landis-explains-motivations-to-speak-at-New-Pathways-for-Pro-Cycling-conference.aspx

I remember when I first read the, " I wish I was twenty one" report. This jumped out at me.
Q: You agree that there's some worth in prosecuting director sportifs and administrators.

A: Abso-f'cking-lutely. That will stop systematic doping on its head. If Saiz goes away for twenty years there will not be a director in the world would even f'ckin' go near it. If he's getting bent over the barbecue, getting f'cked every night in jail, I'll tell you right now, there wouldn't be a manager in their right mind would even think about it.

Granville57 said:
I though maybe this had been posted here some time ago, but perhaps not.

The pdf was originally available for free download from the main website for the New Pathways for Pro Cycling Conference when this event happened (which coincided with the World Championships in Geelong).
http://www.newcyclingpathway.com/conference

This was the same event that Landis' participation became a hot topic for some of his detractors.

I remember when I first read the, " I wish I was twenty one" report. This jumped out at me.

Perhaps it was but there are a lot of interesting interviews, would be good to know which one is Stuey

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
del1962 said:
Perhaps it was but there are a lot of interesting interviews, would be good to know which one is Stuey

Now that I think back about it, a condensed version of that Saiz quote was to have been my signature when I initially registered for the CN forum.

But Francois was not having it, and it was deleted (along with an explanation by PM) before I ever had a chance to use it. :p

When I was in my early 20's, peaking around 25-26 (got too lazy after), I was typically only consistently beaten by real pros and guys who definitely trained as pros. I never trained like a pro, just steady training that was usually (much) less than people I was racing. Less access to off-road riding (I focused on MTB and cross), and lack of motivation to go ride largely because of that.
If I now deduct a modest 10% of power from those consistently beating me, there would be very few left.
Even before I really peaked, I hit 506W at VO2Max, in my off-season taking it very easy in terms of training. At 81kg I was usually THE heaviest contender, and rarely anyone heavier finished before me. Strangely my climbing was my best strength, high speeds seemed to handicap me due to really long legs, great air drag.
My life in terms of sports would have been vastly differently had the EPO era finished 2 decades earlier.
There's just no denying it. Racing through the era without hct limit, without EPO test, and then bloodbagging. I dabbled in supplements but never got that really sorted. Some things seemed to help a bit, if perhaps mainly as placebo. I was thinking that I was getting a similar boost to dopers. I just did not know that adding 30% or more red blood cells was on the cards. Cannot imagine what tht would be like. Only that it would be insanely addictive. Riding at my VO2Max much longer, and effectively having a higher VO2max? I'd be a cycling god! Still not tempted though. Sports is to prove something to myself and others, and cheating for it wouldn't get me the kicks.

TRENDING THREADS