• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ian Stannard Thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Today the Sky team was really strong with Edvald and Stannard .
Ian Stannard is really a classicman who can hope for win a very good classic or get a nice result in one of this race .
But it's clear , the principal problem is the fact that , he haven't got a big burst of speed unlike the others like Sagan , Boonen and Co.. and we can see a large list of favourite for Paris-Roubaix and Tour des Flandres .
Good progression for this man .

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
“They’re just hard, aren’t they? They suit me for one, they’re normally hard races in hard weather and I enjoy the hell out of them,” Stannard said of his love of the cobbles. “Banging around Flemish roads is fun.”

gotta love the guy

me too, i don't think he is the caliber of cancellara,sagan,boonen or vanmarcke. but with a little bit of luck, he could win roubaix. podium definitely possible even this year

Perhaps Sky will start believing in him now. 2012 PR was an utterly criminal amateurish performance on their DS' part. He's been their best prospect for the last 3 year's but they cant' see past Eisel, Hayman and Fleche's reputattions. This sport is so *** when it comes to critical analysis it beggars belief how many DS make their living...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alexiss said:
Today the Sky team was really strong with Edvald and Stannard .
Ian Stannard is really a classicman who can hope for win a very good classic or get a nice result in one of this race .
But it's clear , the principal problem is the fact that , he haven't got a big burst of speed unlike the others like Sagan , Boonen and Co.. and we can see a large list of favourite for Paris-Roubaix and Tour des Flandres .
Good progression for this man .

PR does not require 'big burst of speed'. PR is won by handling, positioning and progressive increase in speed over the final cobbled sectors >50 kms from the velodrome.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
vedrafjord said:
Fair play to Stannard, I'm not a Sky fan but I'm glad he got the win today. He reminds me of Boxer the workhorse from Animal Farm, he's a bit naive but he's a very hard worker. He's only 25 so lots more to come from him before he's sent off to the glue factory.

Only 25! Wow, didn't know he was so young. Always thought of him as a veteran hardman and have never bothered to check. Glad to know he's still got lots of years left. :)

Super impressive and very strong riding by him today. I'm growing to like Stannard more and more. He's a real racer, the kind that just goes to the front without complaint and makes himself and everyone else hurt. Nice to see him grab the win today. Looking forward to seeing what else he can do this classics season.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He couldn't follow the strongest in any of the moves on the cobbles on the hills, he was just behind though. Got away on the flat in the end.

Won't be enough for Roubaix. Unless he can suddenly follow the strongest on the cobbles (unlike today)
Hagen is still a better bet judging by todays race, even though it sounds weird if you just see the result

Yeah, he's definitely not going to be a factor at Flanders. Roubaix is obviously the one for him but the weather would need to be horrendous. The Simon Spilak of cobbles races.

jens_attacks said:
“They’re just hard, aren’t they? They suit me for one, they’re normally hard races in hard weather and I enjoy the hell out of them,” Stannard said of his love of the cobbles. “Banging around Flemish roads is fun.”

gotta love the guy

me too, i don't think he is the caliber of cancellara,sagan,boonen or vanmarcke. but with a little bit of luck, he could win roubaix. podium definitely possible even this year

He looked super yesterday and of course he's very nearly won Roubaix already. So smooth on the cobbles.

If Sky has any sense then they'll swap EBH's contract at the end of this year for Vanmarcke (I think they're both out of contract). Although one problem could be that Vanmarcke likes to ride the Tour and that's much less likely to happen at Sky compared to Belkin and other teams.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit I'm not a SKY fan. And I was pulling for GVA in the finish. But I will say Stannard is an impressive classics rider. If I had a team I would sign him without giving it a second thought.

CycloAndy said:
Gutted! Looking like it could be a bleak season for Sky this year.

Sky have done ok this year in the one day races (1-3 in Omloop, podiums in MSR,E3). Stannard is obviously a massive loss but Thomas has shown good form as long as he stays upright of course! He was strong at E3 so will hopefully carry that form through to PR.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
BkNlGAoIgAAmy1C.jpg

He looks quite happy