• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ian Stannard Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
MBotero said:
This was hilarious:D
"Stannard did what he had to do. Then again, I think that a rider from his calibre from that team should share the work until the gap was 40 seconds. He played it hard but tomorrow or next week it?s another race, then we can play that game. Stannard was team leader today. A team leader that was on the wheels for 40 kilometres. A rider of his level, a team leader, doesn?t stay on the wheels for 40 kilometres," Lefevere said.

Hmmm ... so he was expecting Stannard to help his guys, so his guys could then beat him up and he would lose the race? Tactical genius thinking again ... can see where the riders got it from ;)

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
MBotero said:
This was hilarious:D
"Stannard did what he had to do. Then again, I think that a rider from his calibre from that team should share the work until the gap was 40 seconds. He played it hard but tomorrow or next week it?s another race, then we can play that game. Stannard was team leader today. A team leader that was on the wheels for 40 kilometres. A rider of his level, a team leader, doesn?t stay on the wheels for 40 kilometres," Lefevere said.

If Stannard had put a lot of work you'd be calling him a mug when he got tenderised by the 3 Etixx riders attacking him then Boonen riding away for the win when Stannard's legs went. In fact Stannard did take a turn on the front when he saw the gap was down to 13 seconds or so. But in that situation, 3 on 1, there is no obligation what so ever to work, particularly given the pedigree of the three he was with. So he rode the perfect race, sat all back of the bus, then turned the screw as Etixx fluffed their lines in the last 5k. Vanmarcke's puncture was the ultimate gift to Stannard, it would have been a very different race without that, and if GVA put a proper effort in, rather than a belated one, hoping he could ride Vanmarcke's wheel back to G1.

Coming of age for Stannard, should now be considered a proper classics rider and a threat for Ronde and P-R.

And Lefevre got it all wrong, tried to blame everything but dissension in the ranks and poor tactics. Why on earth did Vandenbergh cover Terpstra's attack? He made it easy for Stannard to cover, and distanced Boonen while he was recovering. Wasn't a team effort, and clearly there are still rankles over last year's P-R.

Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
He was playing from the Putin book of lying in plain sight. Only a moron would say Stannard didn't ride the perfect race, and that Etixx made an absolute Eton mess of the last 5k

What Putin book of lying?

Fair play to Stannard, I'm not a Sky fan but I'm glad he got the win today. He reminds me of Boxer the workhorse from Animal Farm, he's a bit naive but he's a very hard worker. He's only 25 so lots more to come from him before he's sent off to the glue factory.

That's what I said this time last year - I was a year off with his age but more importantly I called him naive - after that I read several interviews from him that seemed to indicate that some of his tactical mistakes were due to Sky orders rather than his own instincts - I'm happy to be proven wrong - obviously Quick Step fecked it up big time today but Stannard also needed discipline, patience, and timing to pull off the win like he did.

Pricey_sky said:
Quoted for pure awesomeness, and a new addition to my signatures! :D

I'm a Belgian, and I'm a fan. (I'm sure he has a lot of fans in Belgium after last year's Omloop).

I felt bad for him when he broke his vertebrae, I hope to see some more fireworks from him this campaign, especially in Roubaix!
I thought he looked a bit like Carlos Betancur though. He could loose some pounds to get him over the steeper and more numerous hills in de Ronde!

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The win this year at least shows last year's wasn't a fluke, and now he must be pencilled in as a contender for Ronde and P-R, although it has been said riders that win Omloop can't always carry the form through to the cobbled monuments. There were doubts that Stannard had the weapons to win at the sharp end of the race, I think those can be laid to rest now, EQS blunders aside. It is telling that. Boonen said as soon as Stannard came back to him he knew he was going win. Obviously he was miles fresher than than the EQS boys, who I think under-estimated him and were more focused on the threat from Vanmarcke. I think Boonen was also concerned by Terpstra nicking the win, which would explain his attack at 4.6k and the fact Vandenbergh covered Nikki's attack, and dragged Stannard with him. Perhaps EQS were too concerned in delivering Boonen his win and not enough on ensuring a team win.

Anyway, a brilliant race and a well deserving winner. He's been a favourite of mine for several seasons now, I hope he now becomes a classics legend. He's got the guts and legs to do it.

JimmyFingers said:
The win this year at least shows last year's wasn't a fluke, and now he must be pencilled in as a contender for Ronde and P-R, although it has been said riders that win Omloop can't always carry the form through to the cobbled monuments. There were doubts that Stannard had the weapons to win at the sharp end of the race, I think those can be laid to rest now, EQS blunders aside. It is telling that. Boonen said as soon as Stannard came back to him he knew he was going win. Obviously he was miles fresher than than the EQS boys, who I think under-estimated him and were more focused on the threat from Vanmarcke. I think Boonen was also concerned by Terpstra nicking the win, which would explain his attack at 4.6k and the fact Vandenbergh covered Nikki's attack, and dragged Stannard with him. Perhaps EQS were too concerned in delivering Boonen his win and not enough on ensuring a team win.

Anyway, a brilliant race and a well deserving winner. He's been a favourite of mine for several seasons now, I hope he now becomes a classics legend. He's got the guts and legs to do it.

No way. In Roubaix, maybe...

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Flamin said:
No way. In Roubaix, maybe...

He wasn't that bad on bergs at Omloop..He followed Boonen and Vanmarcke..yes not straight on the wheel but he ain't bad...and anyway he's clearly a contender, no way near any favoruite for it.

If it rains and is cold, he becomes top favoruite straightaway and thats what I hope for :D

TRENDING THREADS