• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Iban Mayo - any news??

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Iban Mayo was one of my favourites, for years I have hoped that he'd make a successful comeback, but I guess that's out of the question? He's still only in his early thirties, isn't he? Ages younger than people like Horner, for instance. Mayo and Bettini, those are the comebacks I want to see.

Stingray34 said:
This is like playing celebrity head.

GotDropped, are you a native English speaker?

Y/N

I am nobody interesting. Believe me, you will be disapointed.

zapata said:
Iban Mayo was one of my favourites, for years I have hoped that he'd make a successful comeback, but I guess that's out of the question? He's still only in his early thirties, isn't he? Ages younger than people like Horner, for instance. Mayo and Bettini, those are the comebacks I want to see.

He turns 34 this year.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Mont Ventoux: Mayo climbed 6.7 W/kg

42x16ss said:
IHis 2003 stage win on the AdH was epic too!
His 2004 stage win on the Ventoux (Dauphine Libere) was epic too.

Dauphine Libere 2004, Stage 4, Mont Ventoux [ITT, 21.6 Km]

Iban Mayo

Elevation / Höhenmeter [m] : 1629 m
Distance / Streckenlänge [Km] : 21.6 Km
Time in seconds / Fahrzeit in Sekunden [sec] : 3351 = 55 min 51 sec = 55:51
Weight rider / Gewicht Fahrer [kg] : 65 kg
Weight bicycle, clothes etc. / Gewicht Fahrrad [kg] : 8 kg

Grade / mittlere Seigung : 7.5 %
Average speed / mittlere Geschwindigkeit : 23.2 Km/h
Total weight / Gesamtgewicht : 73.0 kg

Power : 437.0 Watt
Power / kg : 6.7 Watt / kg

Source: [ http://www.rst.mp-all.de/bergauf.htm ]

From 5.7 Km mark (Saint-Esteve) to 15.5 Km mark (Le Chalet Reynard) [= 9.8 Km]

Elevation / Höhenmeter [m] : 899 m
Distance / Streckenlänge [Km] : 9.8 Km
Time in seconds / Fahrzeit in Sekunden [sec] : 1740 = 29 min 0 sec = 29:00

Grade / mittlere Seigung : 9.1 %
Average speed / mittlere Geschwindigkeit : 20.2 Km/h

Power : 434.1 Watt
Power / kg : 6.6 Watt / kg

From 15.5 Km mark (Le Chalet Reynard) to 21.6 Km (Mont Ventoux) [= 6.1 Km]

Elevation / Höhenmeter [m] : 490 m
Distance / Streckenlänge [Km] : 6.1 Km
Time in seconds / Fahrzeit in Sekunden [sec] : 1007 = 16 min 47 sec = 16:47

Grade / mittlere Seigung : 8.0 %
Average speed / mittlere Geschwindigkeit : 21.8 Km/h

Power : 424.8 Watt
Power / kg : 6.5 Watt / kg

From 5.7 Km mark (Saint-Esteve) to 21.6 Km (Mont Ventoux) [= 15.9 Km]

Elevation / Höhenmeter [m] : 1389 m
Distance / Streckenlänge [Km] : 15.9 Km
Time in seconds / Fahrzeit in Sekunden [sec] : 2747 = 45 min 47 sec = 45:47

Grade / mittlere Seigung : 8.7 %
Average speed / mittlere Geschwindigkeit : 20.8 Km/h

Power : 430.5 Watt

GotDropped said:
Oh sure, so Iban Mayo only doped once, and got caught... in 2007 mind you, and in 2003 when he was dropping Armstrong in his prime he was clean. That's pretty fu$%&@ up logic you have there. We actually get along quite well Iban and I and I quite like the guy personally, so I'm not going to go into more details, but I know enough to know that it wasn't a set-up, and he was caught fair and square. I am just disappointed that the same treatment wasn't given to others at the time, or maybe as another posted put it, he got under the skin of someone important.

Yep. Mayo was a superb racer. I enjoyed watching him race along with Haimar Zubeldia. Euskaltel had quite a team.

GotDropped said:
Wow hrotha, who are you? I couldn't have answered that question as I was no longer in the game when Mayo "lost it". If I had of answered, it would have just been my opinion. But it sounds like you know a lot more than the average Joe.
I'm just a fan, that's just what I gathered from what I've read about doping in a couple of forums. I was hoping you'd have extra info to confirm or deny bits of my "reconstructed" story :p

May 6, 2009
Visit site
GotDropped said:
WTF?!?!?!?! Why the F are you putting words into my mouth!!! When did I claim he is naturally talented enough not to need EPO?!!?!?! WTF!!! I didn't say either one thing or the other! All I said was that his B sample was NEVER negative, and that I rode in the same team as Iban, and that it wasn't a surprise. Nothing more. Oh, and that his case was handled differently to other cases (in regards to the re-testing of the B sample). Please re-read this thread before posting such ridiculous comments.

Why so aggressive? Sorry but your posts implied that you were some sort of insider, seeing as though you said you raced with him.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
GotDropped said:
You don't have to be on the same team at the time of the positive to know stuff. What you have done, and know, has absolutely nothing to do with what other people might know about completely different events. So stop mixing issues. I was responding to a different post that commented that Iban's B sample was negative when that is just not true. His B sample was never negative, it just wasn't a conclusive positive, and was re-tested, various times. Something that may be considered unfair compared to the treatment given to other cyclists but it still doesn't mean Iban is innocent. He isn't. I have ridden with Iban in the past and know enough to know that there is no surprise about the positive. I'm not just anyone giving an opinion based on what I have read in the clinic and in the press, but as someone who has been on the inside. If that to you means I know "jack", then I really couldn't care what you think.

The Bolded part cracks me up. I can see the lab tech right now (with angry UCI boss standing over his shoulder):

Tech: Uh, Bossman, it's really not a positive
Bossman: Well, test it again!!
Tech: Uh, um....Bossman, it didn't come up positive
Bossman: You suck techy, either you find a positive or you lose your job
Tech: HEY BOSSMAN...you were right, it is a positive!!!
Bossman: I told you....and remember to play by MY rules!

And GotDropped...if you know so much, why don't you share some of your insider knowledge?

halamala said:
His 2004 stage win on the Ventoux (Dauphine Libere) was epic too.

From 5.7 Km mark (Saint-Esteve) to 21.6 Km (Mont Ventoux) [= 15.9 Km]

Elevation / Höhenmeter [m] : 1389 m
Distance / Streckenlänge [Km] : 15.9 Km
Time in seconds / Fahrzeit in Sekunden [sec] : 2747 = 45 min 47 sec = 45:47

Grade / mittlere Seigung : 8.7 %
Average speed / mittlere Geschwindigkeit : 20.8 Km/h

Power : 430.5 Watt

Before that stage I had posted a prediction in the wattage group at topica (where talking about doping was strictly forbidden) that Iban Mayo would win with a time of 55 min( can't remember if I said anything more precise, could still look for that post). (In fact it was not so much that I did a calculation for Mayo as for the best a pro cyclist could possibly do at the time over 1 hour assuming state of the art doping, and Mayo happened to be the best that week)

I was surprised he almost needed 56 minutes (55:51) although he still won and was slightly faster than Pantani (1994) ON THE SECTION St-Esteve-top.
BTW although your calculation gives pretty much the right result, it is for the "wrong reasons", the altitude difference being less than the 1389 m. you claim. (Portoleau-Vayer quote 1364 m over 15.9 km). Considering that the last 6 km could be exposed to the wind, it is interesting that you do not find a significant difference in power output between Chalet Reynard and the top.

I recently revised my 2004 calculation and I remember the result was in the neighbourhood of 6.7 watts/kg, i.e 3% higher than Boardman during his superman -56.375 km - hour. In 2004 I had been expecting 6.75 watts/kg.

The altitude at the top of the Ventoux road is often quoted as 1909 m ( sometimes 1912m.) but in fact it does not go above 1900m( from memory, don't quote me, not verified, 1899 meters)

Of course the effect of altitude should be corrected (to compare with performances at lower elevations) for as the finish is so high.
----------

I easily found what I wrote on june 9 2004.

Here are are some excerpts
Jun 09, 2004 .....
Iban Mayo will win the TT tomorrow, unless he gets sick during the night.

(I was implying that whatever treatment he took the previous evening might make him sick (transfusion or other)

here are the altitude gains on successive km ....Ventoux.

32/31/43/58/55/44/95/92/106/88/95/97/87/100/77/75/55/80/75/85/95 +44m/600m

Assume a 75 kg (bicyclist+bike+...), ie a 66 kg standard cyclist,
assume 430 watts ......., ie 419 watts applied to back wheel.
Take Crr=0.004 .
.......air density .......... from 1.15 at the bottom to 0.96 at the top.
A CdA varying from 0.3 for the first 2 km
to 0.38 in the steeper portion and 0.34 in between (4km).

Using analyticycling one gets
2km @ 3.15% 0.3 m**2 -> 9.81 m/s -> 3:24
4km @5% 0.34 m**2 -> 8.19 m/s -> 8:18
15.6k @8.63% 0.38 m**2 -> 5.74 m/s ->45:18

430 watts/66kg cyclist (+ 9kg) gives a total time of 57:00

6.51 watts/kg (better than 442watts/68 kg boardman)
..........add 1-2% for the high altitude finish(?)

.......performances in the TdF have been climbing back up
since ......... 1999, it is a safe bet that if the weather stays good
and there is no wind, Mayo will shave 2 mn off Vaughters'time.

55 minutes means 6.75 watts/kg

May 26, 2011
Visit site
GotDropped said:
I haven't seem him for a couple of years but when I do, I'll ask him. When I saw him last, he was living off what he had earned and invested (bought properties etc...).

I'd rather not divulge what team I rode on with Iban for reasons of anonymity.

well i will assume it was SDP as your English appears too good on here for you to be a Basque from EE...

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:
I was surprised he almost needed 56 minutes (55:51) although he still won and was slightly faster than Pantani (1994) ON THE SECTION St-Esteve-top. BTW although your calculation gives pretty much the right result, it is for the "wrong reasons", the altitude difference being less than the 1389 m. you claim. (Portoleau-Vayer quote 1364 m over 15.9 km).

The altitude at the top of the Ventoux road is often quoted as 1909 m ( sometimes 1912m.) but in fact it does not go above 1900m( from memory, don't quote me, not verified, 1899 meters)

Of course the effect of altitude should be corrected (to compare with performances at lower elevations) for as the finish is so high.[/I]
This is my source of the Stage 4 profile: http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/jun04/dauphinelibere04/images/Profiletape4.gif

mwbyrd said:
The Bolded part cracks me up. I can see the lab tech right now (with angry UCI boss standing over his shoulder):

Tech: Uh, Bossman, it's really not a positive
Bossman: Well, test it again!!
Tech: Uh, um....Bossman, it didn't come up positive
Bossman: You suck techy, either you find a positive or you lose your job
Tech: HEY BOSSMAN...you were right, it is a positive!!!
Bossman: I told you....and remember to play by MY rules!

And GotDropped...if you know so much, why don't you share some of your insider knowledge?

It also cracks me up. The sad thing is that the testing probably did happen like that. Who knows...

My opinion...

- Was the retesting of the B sample unfair compared to the treatment given to other cyclists? Yes.

- Did he have EPO in his A sample? yes.

- Did they find EPO in is B sample (after retesting x times)? yes.

- Did Iban Mayo cheat in regards to the rules? yes.

- Did Iban Mayo cheat more than his rivals? Probably not.

- IMO should he have been suspended? yes.

- Is he talented? yes.

- Riding clean, is he a super talent that can drop the Armstrong of 2003 in the Pyrenees during the tour... probably not.

mwbyrd, your last question is a good and fair question and I will try to answer it as best I can.
- Did I make money from cycling? No.
- Do I still work in cycling. No.
- Did I quit because the culture of cycling at the time scared the **** out of me. Yes.
- If I say what I know will it clean the sport up? No.
- If I say what I know will people within cycling figure out who I am. Yes.
- If I say what I know, will I achieve anything except make enemies for myself. No.
- I don't want to hurt anyone or ruin anyones reputation, because, at the end of the day, if I ever said anything, there is no proof and I wouldn't achieve anything.

hrotha said:
I'll give you the standard, non-insider explanation to see how it differs from the insider view.

Firstly, there's the psychological aspect. Mayo was mentally pretty weak, he didn't handle pressure too well, and when things went badly he shut down. Then, there's the Clinic aspect: Euskaltel were on something great in 2003, with Losa as their doctor, but after the 2004 Dauphiné when the UCI was tipped off by you know who, coupled with the loss of Losa following the Millar debacle, Euskaltel were watched closely and couldn't replicate their past form. Mayo wasn't strong enough to deal with the stress of going into the Tour as a top favourite knowing he didn't have a white lunch bag anymore, and losing time on the cobbles only made it worse. From 2004 on, Euskaltel were suspicious, and so was Mayo. He had a sort of renaissance with Saunier Duval, although we all know how that was and how it ended, but even then he wasn't consistent at all.

So, to summarize the standard view: he was a big talent, probably the best u23 Spanish rider of 1999 (and that was after getting over a serious, career-threatening injury), but he was also mentally weak and relied on dope a bit too much, both physically and psychologically.

That was what I had heard/assumed. Still it was good fun while it lasted. And if he is happier off the bike then that is a good thing.

Without wishing to make this into another Uniballer thread, it is odd that the two guys who seemed to **** with his head most of all were Pantani and Mayo.

GotDropped said:
It also cracks me up. The sad thing is that the testing probably did happen like that. Who knows...

My opinion...

- Was the retesting of the B sample unfair compared to the treatment given to other cyclists? Yes.

- Did he have EPO in his A sample? yes.

- Did they find EPO in is B sample (after retesting x times)? yes.

- Did Iban Mayo cheat in regards to the rules? yes.

- Did Iban Mayo cheat more than his rivals? Probably not.

- IMO should he have been suspended? yes.

- Is he talented? yes.

- Riding clean, is he a super talent that can drop the Armstrong of 2003 in the Pyrenees during the tour... probably not.

mwbyrd, your last question is a good and fair question and I will try to answer it as best I can.
- Did I make money from cycling? No.
- Do I still work in cycling. No.
- Did I quit because the culture of cycling at the time scared the **** out of me. Yes.
- If I say what I know will it clean the sport up? No.
- If I say what I know will people within cycling figure out who I am. Yes.
- If I say what I know, will I achieve anything except make enemies for myself. No.
- I don't want to hurt anyone or ruin anyones reputation, because, at the end of the day, if I ever said anything, there is no proof and I wouldn't achieve anything.

It is interesting that we have your input on the forum.I don't very often post at all in the doping forum but I would be interested in your thoughts on the following.

I am assuming from the sport that you were involved at least in the period 2000-2005 and perhaps before that-

In your opinion did anything change in the culture of cycling from the beginning of your involvement to when you decided you wanted to leave.

Do you think doping become less prevelant from the mid/late nienties to the middle of the nougties decade?

How arms lenght are team managers i.e. is it realistically possible for DS to claim that they would have no knowledge of what is going on within their team.

In your opinion do you believe that it is possible to be competitive in the thick end of GTs and classics in the current era without assistance from clinic material?

Jan the Man said:
It is interesting that we have your input on the forum.I don't very often post at all in the doping forum but I would be interested in your thoughts on the following.

I am assuming from the sport that you were involved at least in the period 2000-2005 and perhaps before that-

In your opinion did anything change in the culture of cycling from the beginning of your involvement to when you decided you wanted to leave.

Do you think doping become less prevelant from the mid/late nienties to the middle of the nougties decade?

How arms lenght are team managers i.e. is it realistically possible for DS to claim that they would have no knowledge of what is going on within their team.

In your opinion do you believe that it is possible to be competitive in the thick end of GTs and classics in the current era without assistance from clinic material?

I will answer this one day, maybe.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
That's fair enough :)

The Alpe d'Huez stage is one of my favourite stages to watch on DVD.
Yeah. I totally agree.

Tour de France 2003, Stage 8, Alpe d'Huez

Iban Mayo

Elevation / Höhenmeter [m] : 1090 m
Distance / Streckenlänge [Km] : 13.8 Km
Time in seconds / Fahrzeit in Sekunden [sec] : 2349 = 39 min 9 sec = 39:09

Grade / mittlere Seigung : 7.9 %
Average speed / mittlere Geschwindigkeit : 21.1 Km/h

Power : 403.2 Watt
Power / kg : 6.2 Watt / kg

Source: [ http://www.rst.mp-all.de/bergauf.htm ]

Angliru said:
Same here! Maybe because of their ability to incite such dislike from Armstrong and their aggressive, impulsive style of racing.

I suspect their aggressive and sometimes unpredictable racing style was what made Armstrong dislike them. Their method of racing combined with their strength on the bike made it difficult for the USPS train to control them and this may have made LA nervous.

Pantani isolated and almost exposed Armstrong on Ventoux in 2000 and judging from his reaction after the stage I'm sure he didn't like it. If you look back at the footage it took a massive burst to close that gap. I'm guessing that because Mayo raced the same way he provoked the same reaction.

TRENDING THREADS