• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

IE Or Firefox??

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Downloaded Opera, looks pretty good. I have three fish in my simquarium. Does it have similar add ins as firefox such as flashblocker?

A

Anonymous

53 x 11 said:
Downloaded Opera, looks pretty good. I have three fish in my simquarium. Does it have similar add ins as firefox such as flashblocker?
http://my.opera.com/Lex1/blog/flashblock-for-opera-9
to use it download the zip file and extract the files
flashblocker.css
and flashblocker.js

or if you go to my opera unit page http://laptop.dimspace.operaunite.com ive put the two files in my shared files section.. ;)
(also in my shared files section is googlesuggest.js - this if put in your userjs folder, turns on google suggest when searching on google...)

then put them in the following directories..
flashblocker.css to docsandsettings/username/appdata/opera/styles/user
flasblocker.js to docsandsettings/username/appdata/opera/profile/userjs
then load opera and do the following...
tools>preferences>advanced>content>javascript options
and select the userjs folder... then on reboot flash is blocked

in windows 7 they are in your user/appdata/roaming/opera...........

2ihqlpl.jpg

you can then turn permentant flash blocking for a site on or off using ctrl-alt-f to turn flash on for a particular site, or ctrl-shft-f to turn in back off..

Its not as easy as a plugin, BUT, one of the points of opera is you can do just about whatever you want with it... all of the ini files are text based so you can change menus etc, you can control css with multiple style sheets for different styles.. so while something like flash blocking is slightly more complicated the benefit is a much more customisable browser

for instance, heres a simple one...
go to documentsandsettings/user/opera/profile and look for the speeddial.ini document.. open it in notpad, scroll to the bottom and you will see rows and columns numbers.. you can change them to what you like and have 50 speeddials if you screen is big enough..

second tip, right click on any toolbar and select customise.. you will find you can change buttons, add them, remove them, drag extra searches onto toolbars etc... loads of extra buttons here as well http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons and http://operawiki.info/CustomSearches

one more magic tip and im done... custom searches...
if there is somewhere you go regularly and search, lets say for instance imdb.. go to imdb and in the search box right click and create search.. call the search movie or something...
now, in the address bar instead of typing www etc, just type movie, a space and your search term.. hit enter, and hey presto, imdb search.. work with everything.. we have g, i (google and image), wiki, movie and a whole host of others..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
one more magic tip and im done... custom searches...
if there is somewhere you go regularly and search, lets say for instance imdb.. go to imdb and in the search box right click and create search.. call the search movie or something...
now, in the address bar instead of typing www etc, just type movie, a space and your search term.. hit enter, and hey presto, imdb search.. work with everything.. we have g, i (google and image), wiki, movie and a whole host of others..

I like that. :)

A

Anonymous

oh i forgot...

opera also has rss feeds... just click and rss feed and it adds to your opera mail...
112gas7.jpg

I am now officially an Opera convert, thanks to Dim. It is just so much faster and more customizable than anything else. I also love the mouse shortcuts, all my mail is together from multiple email addresses - all i have to do is press the mail panel. The address bar shotcuts are also awesome. Like typing: g <insert search here> will search google, e <insert search> is ebay. w is wikipedia, y is yahoo etc. Instead of actually going to the website and entering it manually.

I also have the speed dial up as my homepage instead of a single homepage as i couldn't work out if it is possible to have multiple homepages. And the widgets are also awesome. I have a proxy one, google translator, chuck norris facts and the panic button one. Any other good ones??

Also what options do you guys want for a poll?

A

Anonymous

El Imbatido said:
I am now officially an Opera convert, thanks to Dim. It is just so much faster and more customizable than anything else. I also love the mouse shortcuts, all my mail is together from multiple email addresses - all i have to do is press the mail panel. The address bar shotcuts are also awesome. Like typing: g <insert search here> will search google, e <insert search> is ebay. w is wikipedia, y is yahoo etc. Instead of actually going to the website and entering it manually.

I also have the speed dial up as my homepage instead of a single homepage as i couldn't work out if it is possible to have multiple homepages. And the widgets are also awesome. I have a proxy one, google translator, chuck norris facts and the panic button one. Any other good ones??

Also what options do you guys want for a poll?

there are loads, i use the twitter one regularly, google translate, radio player, currency converter...

if you are using the mail good tutorials here http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/mail/ the filters are excellent once youve got them set up... im trying to resist the temptation to sign up to too many news feeds though...

you know you can make your own address bar shortcuts?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I was happy with Safari but had to upgrade Firefox after seeing how many people used it. v3.5 is a vast improvement. Also had to try Opera based on Dim's sheer enthusiasm. I only use browers for basic stuff, so much of what Dim writes is over my head. This much for sure, it's very fast. And I like how rotating ads (like at the right side of this screen) don't play unless you activate them. I guess that conserves power, but it's also less annoying. There are some things I'll have to get used to, but so far it looks pretty good. Appreciate the tips n' tricks folks.

Firefox with no-script.

Really like Safari though, with their new TopSites feature. Really nice, fast way to start the day. If I had a script blocker that installed and worked as well as NoScript, I'd stay on Safari. Need to look more into AdBlock and Easylist.

BIL uses Opera, I'm not quite that geeky, though I should look more into it.

Chrome is strange to me, can't quite get into it. Though I'm curious about Google's Cloud OS to come.

IE sucks. Slow, pop-up/under hell, ad hell. Avoid, avoid, avoid. Can't believe so many people use the damn thing.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
+1 for Opera. I have been messing around with it for the past hour after reading some of Dim's posts, and I really like it. Now... if I can just get Emory's email to work with it I will be set. Unfortunately, Emory's IT is a joke. I can see how the conversation is going to go already.

me: "I need help setting up an Emory email in Opera"
IT: "Umm... ok, I am not familiar with Opera. Are you using a PC or Mac"
me: "I am using Linux"
IT: "What's Linux?"
me: "&%(*&^"

A

Anonymous

n
Cobber said:
+1 for Opera. I have been messing around with it for the past hour after reading some of Dim's posts, and I really like it. Now... if I can just get Emory's email to work with it I will be set. Unfortunately, Emory's IT is a joke. I can see how the conversation is going to go already.

me: "I need help setting up an Emory email in Opera"
IT: "Umm... ok, I am not familiar with Opera. Are you using a PC or Mac"
me: "I am using Linux"
IT: "What's Linux?"
me: "&%(*&^"

not as simple as just putting in the server mail.emery, etc, and the usernames in then yet..

found the imap settings here> http://www.sph.emory.edu/computing/email/OEInitial.htm

any use...?
tools> mail and chat accounts
new
imap
incoming server: imap2.sph.emory.edu
outgoing: smtp.service.emory.edu
username and passwords in the boxes...

once done, go back into tools> mail and edit the account
on the servers tab, check the authentification box for both in and out
authorisation method as auto
outgoing port: 465

you can also on the incoming tab decide if you want it to download the full message, or just the headers, if you only download the headers it downloads the email when you click on it to read it (so email is not available when you are offline) or you can make mail available when offline..
there is also the low bandwidth mode option available there..

might be completely useless but that just what google came up with..

weird glitch with imap settings.. once youve connected for the first time and sent a message go back into edit the account, go onto outgoing, and change teh "sent messages folder" to the relevant folder. if not all messages you send also appear in your inbox.. :/

more info http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/mail/quickstart/
opera forums (and they are brilliant) http://my.opera.com/community/forums/

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
n

not as simple as just putting in the server mail.emery, etc, and the usernames in then yet..

found the imap settings here> http://www.sph.emory.edu/computing/email/OEInitial.htm

any use...?
tools> mail and chat accounts
new
imap
incoming server: imap2.sph.emory.edu
outgoing: smtp.service.emory.edu
username and passwords in the boxes...

once done, go back into tools> mail and edit the account
on the servers tab, check the authentification box for both in and out
authorisation method as auto
outgoing port: 465

you can also on the incoming tab decide if you want it to download the full message, or just the headers, if you only download the headers it downloads the email when you click on it to read it (so email is not available when you are offline) or you can make mail available when offline..
there is also the low bandwidth mode option available there..

might be completely useless but that just what google came up with..

weird glitch with imap settings.. once youve connected for the first time and sent a message go back into edit the account, go onto outgoing, and change teh "sent messages folder" to the relevant folder. if not all messages you send also appear in your inbox.. :/

more info http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/mail/quickstart/
opera forums (and they are brilliant) http://my.opera.com/community/forums/

Thanks Dim... yea I had all the settings correct, it just won't allow authentication. Since it can connect, the servers/ports should be OK, correct? It just won't authenticate my password, even though it works fine in webmail. I am going to call tech support on Monday, so I'll let you know what happens.

A

Anonymous

aol which is also imap plays up sometimes on setup..

i have to cycle through auto, plaintext etc one by one, unchecking and checking the "server requires authorisation" checkbox *and reputting the password in each time)

and eventualy, on a setting that has already failed, it suddenly decides to kick into gear and stays working from then on...

for me, tls unchecked for incoming, and checked for outgoing, with auth auto for both works.. im not sure why they dont have an incoming port though.. although most seem to use 143 coming in..

maybe those port settings are out of date.. imap is a strange beast...