• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If 28 Million is the Message, Why Just the Last Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, it's a very important message (zero sarcasm) and would appear to be THE central point to Comeback 2.0 and global cancer awareness (as repeatedly asserted by Armstrong and LiveStrong), so why not create the kit, get UCI approval prior to the start, and wear the thing for three full weeks?

It seems that 3 weeks of TV exposure, especially in light of the very real possibility that they wouldn't podium (it's bike racing, nothing is guaranteed), would truly serve the intended purpose much better than a couple of hours on the last day when TV time is spread out so thin.

Just sayin...

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
It's an interesting point but I don't think the Radio Shack corp would be interested in spending 25M dollars to get their name on the top tube and the wheels.

MacRoadie said:
I mean, it's a very important message (zero sarcasm) and would appear to be THE central point to Comeback 2.0 and global cancer awareness (as repeatedly asserted by Armstrong and LiveStrong), so why not create the kit, get UCI approval prior to the start, and wear the thing for three full weeks?

It seems that 3 weeks of TV exposure, especially in light of the very real possibility that they wouldn't podium (it's bike racing, nothing is guaranteed), would truly serve the intended purpose much better than a couple of hours on the last day when TV time is spread out so thin.

Just sayin...

I actually think this is a fair point. Contrary to what others seem to imply, wearing this special kit would not have detracted from the race. Certainly not anymore than the other gazillion (slight exaggeration) LiveStrong related promotions going on throughout the race.

But even if they made the decision to limit the release to the last day of the race, I'm still scratching my head over the decision NOT to obtain UCI approval for the change in kit. It seems like a simple and straight forward request (and the kit looked better than the existing team kit too). Maybe they couldn't be bothered.

In any event, it became quite the spectacle.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I actually think this is a fair point. Contrary to what others seem to imply, wearing this special kit would not have detracted from the race. Certainly not anymore than the other gazillion (slight exaggeration) LiveStrong related promotions going on throughout the race.

But even if they made the decision to limit the release to the last day of the race, I'm still scratching my head over the decision NOT to obtain UCI approval for the change in kit. It seems like a simple and straight forward request (and the kit looked better than the existing team kit too). Maybe they couldn't be bothered.

I suspect they looked at previous kit changes and decided they'd just pay the fine. or, someone within knew damn well that it would cause such a controversy and land them / the cause hours and hours of free press.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
2 years into the comeback Armstrong suddenly remember it was all about "awareness" He figured that wearing a jersey for a day can make up for the last two years

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
No, I did it to illicit innane comments from people with ridiculous cat pic avatars. It seems to have worked perfectly.

Thanks.

It worked on me too. ;)

Seriously, someone in the other thread on the issue said Phil on Versus accidentally stated it was "a publicity stunt" and then recanted those words later. I think his first intuition basically summed it up. They purposely did not contact the UCI for permission and probably expected to have to abort it; but the fuss it caused reminded viewers of Lance's charitable foundation on his last day on Tour and I'm sure this was premeditated to accomplish a couple of things:

1. Give Lance a chance to make the news at the end and gain some glory since he wasn't going to win anything. It wouldn't be great for their efforts to leave quietly.

2. Primarily to evoke the archetype of his "beneficence" and "charitable" qualities in a manner that could not be ignored on the eve of a potentially destructive investigation that could affect him and his closest colleagues.

It appears to me it was effective at doing both these things. Floyd was on Nightline a couple of days ago and the news could have been directed on that appearance for quite awhile. As it now stands, the news has been diverted to the "stunt" and what it represented.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
MacRoadie said:

Just sayin...

what tv exposure?? those moments lance fell on his ***??

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
The whole point

Publicus said:

You've got it! Of course it was spectacle! Surely you don't imagine this was about cancer sufferers? It was about an egoist who can't bear to be out of the limelight so, having ridden a mediocre race, he pulls a last stage stunt. And he wasn't asked to make a speech on the podium. He must have been the most disappointed man on the planet. :p

Publicus said:

I generally agree with this. I don't have a problem with the kit. People can argue about Lance's intentions all they want, but there is some good behind the cause. And the kits did look good. I suspect they were not the primary kit due to the de-emphasis on the sponsor. But as a one time thing, particularly on a completely ceremonial stage seems reasonable.

Problem is, you have to get approval for this kind of thing. Every sport has rigid uniform rules. I've seen in the NFL, in MLB, hell even in high school track and field. Not getting approval beforehand was very stupid and I would have to think intentional. Anyone remotely assoicated with the sport would have known to ask. That would be the reason for complaint.

A

Anonymous

???

MacRoadie said:
No, I did it to illicit innane comments from people with ridiculous cat pic avatars. It seems to have worked perfectly.

Thanks.

And what exactly is wrong with ridiculous cat pic avatars?

That said... if you mean to imply that the RS 28 jersey incident was a disingenuous, self serving stunt, why not just come out and say that?

I liked it in the Versus commentary when Paul Sherwin said the #28 stood for the 28 BILLION cancer survivors on earth now. Another for the boner book.

editedbymod

BANNED
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
2 years into the comeback Armstrong suddenly remember it was all about "awareness" He figured that wearing a jersey for a day can make up for the last two years

Jerseygate represents everything that is completely and utterly nasty about Armstrong not to mention the pure crassness of his actions. The final stage is a day for the “jersey winners”. To celebrate up and down the peloton and up the front of the race. It’s the only day the race is not on so they can relax and show themselves to the cameras. The sponsors who pay for each of the jersey’s invest large sums for their company’s names to appear on each shirt and this day out of all is the biggest for them to be up the front and on camera. Its not a day for any other team or individual to decide they have another jersey by which has no made no investment to the race in terms of sponsorship to show off to hijack the event. Its also the respect for your competitors who have battled it out to win those jersey’s. If this show was allowed to go forward the cameras would have spent more time on them and less time on the jersey that matter most. What were they thinking? Is this the way to highlight that 28 million people today suffer from cancer? Plaster it all over a cycling jersey with the logo’s of Nike and Livestrong? Perhaps but there are more formal environments, or better environments to pass on this message. Don’t do it on a day where by the winners want to be drinking champagne and celebrating their victories. No one should have the right to deflect the attention from that moment. As those winners want to inspire as well but through their own actions and in their own way. 28 million is a big number. That’s a lot of people suffering from cancer but don’t disrespect those people by taking away from what the day is really about. Its about them not you.

Is there any way for cancer sufferers to go to the livestrong web site and opt out from having this *** represent them?

Who made him the spokesman for cancer sufferers? ****ing freeloading off the back of a terrible disease more like, not sure what is worse, cancer or parasites like him.

So it's official.
Whether or not intensionally staged staged between Pat and Lance&Co.
UCI takes offence of jerseygate.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci...-and-bruyneel?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=news_headlines

How to properly punish such an intional breach and disrespect of rules, while every attention it receives will only further sing the glory of the perpetrators?

Just radio noise (excuse the pun) to put he witch hunt in absurdist context?

Or...did the UCI manage to erase some evidence, and are they confident to fire the first warning shot?

bobbins said:
Is there any way for cancer sufferers to go to the livestrong web site and opt out from having this *** represent them?

Who made him the spokesman for cancer sufferers? ****ing freeloading off the back of a terrible disease more like, not sure what is worse, cancer or parasites like him.

With the internet wide op, it's not so hard to open a Twitter account for those cancer supporters who'd like to openly define their support of cancer support that little bit more by following the LancelessCancerCause of sorts. There may be 100 such initiatives already, a better one is undoubtedly wanted by future followers. How about setting up a 97% efficient cancer charity. 3% (or whatever it is) being the paypal fee, to contract Livestrong.org's 45%?

@CancerDoesn'tNeedAHero ?

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Personal mea culpa:

My sister was taken 3 years ago by cancer. It dragged me down very far. I am not immune to the concept of how cancer awareness and activism has a place, being personally effected by its clutches. As an awareness, and as a matter of reseach dollars, cancer is very high on the minds of those in science and medicine and in funding, both private and govt.

I was jolted by the fact that TRS chose to thrust this issue into the final day in the manner in which they did. This this was done instead of choosing a day during the Tour (could have been the final stage), coordinating the approvals, building up the anticipation (selling "that" special shirt for everyone to wear on "that" day) comes off as an amateurish attempt to detract from the jubilation of completing the most difficult and prestigious cycle race on earth.

It also stood to polarize, unnecessarily, the cause as well. Why have it be a big debate? Why have it be a big scandal. If fighting cancer can be said to unite us all in a unifying theme, why use tactics that will surely divide and create chaos?

I think I can tell you why. It was done to hi-jack the accomplishment of those on the podium, as a "certain man from Texas" did not make it to one of the three top steps this year. It was a "look over here" moment, one last time, for the man who cannot realize his competitive days have passed and now must rely on a stink bomb gambit to attract attention.

Message to Lance: Perhaps you should contract with a menswear bespoke on Saville Row to create a line of "28" themed suits to be worn during your trial for fraud? If you are indicted, you can pledge to the cancer stricken that if found guilty, you will take whatever sentence and serve it "for them, to raise awareness"?

Would you do that for us? Would you serve whatever your fate as a show of unity to those fighting cancer?

"And this I do for you..."

His majesty's final ascension to sainthood. Next, we'll hear in prison of the miracles he performed.

St. Lance Armstrong of Hemoglobin

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Well said,
thanks

editedbymod said:
Jerseygate represents everything that is completely and utterly nasty about Armstrong not to mention the pure crassness of his actions. The final stage is a day for the “jersey winners”. To celebrate up and down the peloton and up the front of the race. It’s the only day the race is not on so they can relax and show themselves to the cameras. The sponsors who pay for each of the jersey’s invest large sums for their company’s names to appear on each shirt and this day out of all is the biggest for them to be up the front and on camera. Its not a day for any other team or individual to decide they have another jersey by which has no made no investment to the race in terms of sponsorship to show off to hijack the event. Its also the respect for your competitors who have battled it out to win those jersey’s. If this show was allowed to go forward the cameras would have spent more time on them and less time on the jersey that matter most. What were they thinking? Is this the way to highlight that 28 million people today suffer from cancer? Plaster it all over a cycling jersey with the logo’s of Nike and Livestrong? Perhaps but there are more formal environments, or better environments to pass on this message. Don’t do it on a day where by the winners want to be drinking champagne and celebrating their victories. No one should have the right to deflect the attention from that moment. As those winners want to inspire as well but through their own actions and in their own way. 28 million is a big number. That’s a lot of people suffering from cancer but don’t disrespect those people by taking away from what the day is really about. Its about them not you.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised that Radio Shack would allow them to do it. They paid big bucks to the "R" with a circle on the teams back and the last day is arguable the most significant day for a team to get exposure!

MacRoadie said:

Just sayin...

I'm guessing it's because they were focused on winning the race in the beginning. When that tanked, they remembered the other reason they were there.

LOL.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
Armstrong's new profession is publicity wh0re. He wasn't making news anywhere else in the race so he had to resort to grandstanding. It's as simple as that.

Armstrong's long-standing purpose in life is publicity wh0re.

Status
Not open for further replies.