• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If Contador Starts the Tour I Will:

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will You Watch Contador Race:

• Cry and throw things at the television

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmmm said:
I'm with you. Big fan of Sean Kelly here - have The Sean Kelly Story video, have watched it many times, and the grit and determination of that man gives me chills. The mentality of both Kelly and Merckx is something that pushes me when I ride - I draw energy from both.

I can't argue with that - Kelly and the Cannibal were awesome racers.

What I can argue with, however, is the nature of the PEDs that were available THEN and NOW.

THEN: a little kick in the pants that would get you up to your potential if you were fatigued, and a bit more if you were ready to rock. A few moments of high-zoot performance in a GT.

NOW: the undeniable ability to modify a genetically average racer into something surpassing a genetically gifted racer. The H'crit level of people is something that they're stuck with. The ability to modify that doesn't make for better racing, it results in the *** mtn drag races that make for boring racing.

What's the average male H'crit taken to be now? High thirties, low forties? I've worked with a lot of 'genetically gifted' (and by that I mean TOTALLY unaided) athletes who have a natural 43+ H'crit.

That's the lottery that life has given them, and that's what make sport awesome! Isn't that the entire goal of sport? To see what the human genetic potential is, and to revel in that? THIS IS WHAT GIFTED HUMANS CAN DO, AND IT IS TRULY INSPIRING!

Counter that with what cycling has become. If I want to see a bunch of cranked-up freaks, appearing that they're on motorbikes, climb something at speeds that should make their hearts blow out of their chests, I'd watch motor-sports. Don't the Yanks have 500 mile races where all the competitors are 'pretty close'?

F*ck that. I want to see what a gifted human can do. Doping detracts from that, and that's why I see it as chaeating and find it utterly repelent.

As to the spectacle of Conti in another tour? I really don't care. If not him, then another few contenders who have 'magically' slipped through testing (maybe they're vegetarian?). Once LA got on the TdF scene, I stopped watching the TdF.

I'm not a big fan of having sh*t stuffed into my mouth and being told to enjoy it.

A

Anonymous

Laugh at Baby Schleck trying to keep on his wheel.

(if AC gets banned, it dont make Andy any cleaner)

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
JMbeaushrimp

everything that you said, was far from "smart". sorry, but it is true.

basically you are saying that today's dopers have more advantages that merckx had?

sorry again.. that isnt even funny.

merckx era was an era of amateur cycling (when tough men was able to win sprints and GTs.). in fact, it was "amateur" at least until an amateur colombian came to the alps and killed all the great guys in the mountains. not only that, obviously merckx (because he was the best) was able to get much richer than the others, creating HIS OWN TEAM and paying to the riders if they did a "good" job.

again, it is obvious that a guy like merckx was able to use some stuff that others couldnt, since he had much more resources and, because he was the best (again), with by far the best doping, he was able to win sprints GTs etc. nowadays, even if only contador was doping with the same that armstrong used and the rest of the field was clen (ups clean. pun), it is impossible to do that.

so, merckx was BY FAR the "dirtiest" rider, since he was the guy that had more profit with the doping.

and

anphetamines plus horse steroids and "special" juices etc»»»»epo with clen with transfusions etc.

special juices plus anphetamines plus horse steroids against a not so much doping field»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»against an almost equal field of rivals.

not only that, you and the others that dont even deserve an adjective, that are only saying rubish:

-was merckx clean?no.
-was anquetil clean?no.
-was gimondi clean?no.
-was coppi and bartali clean?sorry, no.
-was hinault clean? obviously..no.
-was armstrong clean?yeah lol
-was pantani ulrich riis jalabert etc clean?no no.
-was contador clen? ups clean! no.
-is andy clean?no.
- was any champion clean? nothing is impossible.

the ones that said that would ignore the tour or cry, are far from smart, really.
no one was able to win without using some sort of PED! so why are you saying that? where is your brain?

go watch ping-pong instead... ups.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
btw

i will watch the tour, cheer for him as much as i can, especially if he wins the giro first. then it is the confirmation that he is the best GT\stage racer ever (at 29).

Yeah, I'm going to let a doping case based on 50 picograms of clen keep me from watching the Tour. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I will be more excited to watch if Contador is there as the field looks like it might be a bit lacking this year. If he had tested positive for being doped to the gills with EPO I might feel differently.

Andynonomous said:
Lol. I would pay to see that.

What many of you avid fans of professional bike racing don't get is the reaction from the casual fans and sports journalists. If Contador is in serious contention for the win, there will be a collective groan out there ("ya, it's just that doped up Spaniard stealing another victory").

I believe that if Contador is half way savy, he either will not compete in the TDF, or he will not "cycle up" for the event.

We'll see. I think his ego is big enough to sincerely think he's the victim and that's he'll want to ride the Tour specifically to **** off people like most here in the Clinic and show them "how it's done".

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
Yeah, I'm going to let a doping case based on 50 picograms of clen keep me from watching the Tour. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I will be more excited to watch if Contador is there as the field looks like it might be a bit lacking this year. If he had tested positive for being doped to the gills with EPO I might feel differently.

+1

nail on head

May 24, 2010
Visit site
If Contador Starts the Tour I Will: Stand and cheer on Luz Ardiden and Plateau de Beille and get some good piccys of him and the rest of the dopers!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
Well he would've ridden the tour two year ago, the only problem with that was that it passed through Italy, where he was banned
Is it possable for AC to get banned in other countries other than Spain. Just thinking out loud here, having to watch the peleton ride into another country as he stops at the border ??

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
c&cfan said:
JMbeaushrimp

everything that you said, was far from "smart". sorry, but it is true.

basically you are saying that today's dopers have more advantages that merckx had?

sorry again.. that isnt even funny.

merckx era was an era of amateur cycling (when tough men was able to win sprints and GTs.). in fact, it was "amateur" at least until an amateur colombian came to the alps and killed all the great guys in the mountains. not only that, obviously merckx (because he was the best) was able to get much richer than the others, creating HIS OWN TEAM and paying to the riders if they did a "good" job.

again, it is obvious that a guy like merckx was able to use some stuff that others couldnt, since he had much more resources and, because he was the best (again), with by far the best doping, he was able to win sprints GTs etc. nowadays, even if only contador was doping with the same that armstrong used and the rest of the field was clen (ups clean. pun), it is impossible to do that.

so, merckx was BY FAR the "dirtiest" rider, since he was the guy that had more profit with the doping.

and

anphetamines plus horse steroids and "special" juices etc»»»»epo with clen with transfusions etc.

special juices plus anphetamines plus horse steroids against a not so much doping field»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»against an almost equal field of rivals.

not only that, you and the others that dont even deserve an adjective, that are only saying rubish:

-was merckx clean?no.
-was anquetil clean?no.
-was gimondi clean?no.
-was coppi and bartali clean?sorry, no.
-was hinault clean? obviously..no.
-was armstrong clean?yeah lol
-was pantani ulrich riis jalabert etc clean?no no.
-was contador clen? ups clean! no.
-is andy clean?no.
- was any champion clean? nothing is impossible.

the ones that said that would ignore the tour or cry, are far from smart, really.
no one was able to win without using some sort of PED! so why are you saying that? where is your brain?

go watch ping-pong instead... ups.

Thanks for your reasoned and obviously intelligent response to my post. I have to say that it warms my heart that such brilliant minds as yours can actually read.

You might want to clean your keyboard, it seems that some keys are sticking.

You want a bit more insight as to why I've lost interest in "La Grande Boucle" (that's the Toor Dee Franze for your phonic reading level)? It really doesn't matter that much. It's ONE Grand Tour. There are others. Sure it's a grand spectacle, but unfortunately that's all that its become. A spectacle. Less of a bike race, more of a spectacle.

Fortunately there's an entire year of *ss-kicking racing that still exists outside of the TdF. H*ll, it's even going on while the TdF is happening. Imagine that... The 'Tour' is not the end-all be-all of cycling?

Suck it up, Buttercup. Do some learning, and clean your keyboard while you're at it. Those arrow things are irritating...

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Mister,

like it or not, Toor Dee Franze isnt another GT. the tour is, in fact, "the" GT.

all the "first class" cyclists are trying to win the "first class" races, and other races are just warm up for them.

let me ask this, are the "first class" winners clean? you do know the answer, maybe one or two since the begining of cycling were really clean, the others werent.

not only that, doping is widespread. but only the bests at it can win "first class" races.

what is the logical reason to give up in le tour an watch the giro\vuelta, the great 5, etc? there is no logical reason.

i dont try to use correct grammar, but that does not mean that i am saying sh*t. on the other hand, look at you.

correct grammar, but "nonsense" is all what you are saying.

use your brain a little..
who is going to dope more? tour\the great 5 winners, or wannabe's tour\the great 5 winners(including those that are in those *ss-kicking races)? the answer? most likely almost all of them were doping before turning pros, the others did it after that.

there is no clean races in pro tour. you know it. so stop watching the tour and watch other races»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»really stupid people»»»»»»»»»»»»»stupid people.

sorry, there is no logical reason for that. and my keyboard is really messed up.lol
you should stop watching all kinds of sport.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
stop it with the personal attacks, all of you. You might disagree and have different opinions, but keep the discussions civil

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
c&cfan said:
btw

i will watch the tour, cheer for him as much as i can, especially if he wins the giro first. then it is the confirmation that he is the best GT\stage racer ever (at 29).

Contador is 29 in December this year. He's 28 right now. Other than that, great points. I agree with most of them. Don't go telling the Europhiles Merckx is the dirtiest rider ever...they'll lose the plot, not that he didn't have an extraordinary advantage. Heck, proof in the pudding is his 3rd bust for PEDs. First time a test was implemented, who did it catch? Only Merckx and one other guy. He simply won the genetic jackpot, economic jackpot and lack of equal competition jackpot all at the same time. Hence he won across the board in such a fashion.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I really hope some of you keep to your word and stop watching cycling, if nothing else, just so we won't have to hear these incessant threats about every single controversy being "the last straw."

But we all know just as well as you do that you're going to watch. If you want to lie to yourself from now until July, fine. But you'll be glued to the telly come July.

Exactly.
The indignation is a bit ott. Like why not stop watching when Frandy got popped for his "training program"or one of the million other times someone has got busted.
Conta being there only adds to the waning drama.

Trying to keep this thread on topic here, I will probably watch some if, and skip some of it. When watching I'll probably be cheering against Contador, but looking for small victories during the race. If Contador takes a significant lead during the race on GC and the conclusion seems foregone, I may tune out much of it.

Having said that. I don't think he'll be there. The UCI or WADA will appeal, and CAS will uphold the appeal. That failing, I wonder what ASO will do. Not to forget they essentially own the Vuelta as well...

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Giro >>>>>> Tour

The Giro is the above-average looking, very athletic, awesome personality chick that people stupidly ignore in favor of the hot dumb bimbo with big hooters that is the Tour.

The best description differentiating between the two I have heard yet !

WOW ... that puts it into plain and simple language that even the most simple of person could understand. Well played and carry on.

Oh ... and If you you are gonna turn off now because of AC, where have you all been for the last 100+ years??

TRENDING THREADS