• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If only you could have beer in your waterbottle!!

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Back in the 20s and 30s, riders carried le vin rouge in their bidons. Often when it was snowing, locals would top up riders with cognac. Many got lost for a day or two!

When the late Sid Patterson was winning his 24 hour races on the track, he would have one can of beer every hour. A few before and a few later. It was the carbs he was after!

I remember having a drink with Patto at the Imperial Hotel in Melbourne in the 90s during the final stage of the Sun Tour.

Patto was meant to present the trophys for the junior races that day, but I had to report that he was M.I.A.

Not that Patto didnt want to present the trophys, he just had a bit of trouble letting go of the lamp post at the time.

I can still picture him grinning and swaying in the breeze.

Reminds me of the time Peter Donegan used to do the coverage for Channel 10 during the Sun Tour (he was apprenticed to Patto at the time). He was so crook one day at the top of Mt. Buller that he had to have oxygen treatment in order to do his live cross for the news.

I think he claimed "altitude sickness" at the time. It was so funny, those old riders nearly killed Donegan with their late nights!

Mt Buller is 1600 meters above sea level!

It's obviously dangerous, but in the short term, alcohol can give you a psychological boost.

In 2003, I was in Briancon watching Armstrong's off road excursion on TV in a bar (after riding up the Izoard to watch the race pass)

The afternoon went by in a haze of beer and pizza.

Riding a few Ks up the Lautaret back to the hotel at Chantmerle went by very quickly and enjoyably. I felt great and dropped everyone!

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Yers, I have ridden blindo in my early days up hills that I couldnt walk up now! Also gone down hill a lot faster than I would in a car thanks to the drink!

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Actually my ds did that for me once, I was feeling nervous during the race, because I was in a two man breakaway with a popular rider and I was just a nobody amateur, so I went back to get a bottle, took a sip and it was jack daniels, my ds kept one in the car all the time. anyway with 700 metres to go I countered his attack and came around him to take the win, my first win.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Who said you couldn't?

Bear in mind however that the plastic in waterbottles can cause some foaming, combine that with a little rough tarmac or cobbles, and you could end up with a mess.

Maybe Gatorade and vodka instead?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
actually my ds did that for me once, i was feeling nervous during the race, because i was in a two man breakaway with a popular rider and i was just a nobody amateur, so i went back to get a bottle, took a sip and it was jack daniels, my ds kept one in the car all the time. Anyway with 700 metres to go i countered his attack and came around him to take the win, my first win.

legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
Actually my ds did that for me once, I was feeling nervous during the race, because I was in a two man breakaway with a popular rider and I was just a nobody amateur, so I went back to get a bottle, took a sip and it was jack daniels, my ds kept one in the car all the time. anyway with 700 metres to go I countered his attack and came around him to take the win, my first win.

You have just publicly admitted to a doping violation! Two years suspension and a RUI (riding under the influence) Alcohol taken during competition is a drug and taking it suffers the same penalties as steroids. In your case as a inhibition releaser or more commonly artificial courage. You also endangered the riders you were competing with by reducing your coordination.
It was just a little one??
Funny how we treat alcohol very differently than say coke or pot. Of course if it was a doobie you would probably have missed the sprint ;-)

Only trying to point out the hypocrisy in our attitude to one legal drug.