If Wiggins doesn't ride the tour, why would that be?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

If Wiggins doesn't ride the tour, why would that be?

  • (Most likely) Not enough TT km in the tour

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
  • Poll closed .
JRanton said:
It will be odd to think that Sky won't have either Wiggins or Cavendish at the Tour next year considering how important it is for the sponsor. On the other hand it will be great to see more coverage of the Giro/Vuelta in the British media.

Sky have enough climbing domestiques to split between Wiggins and Froome. Uran, Henao, Porte, Rogers, Kiryienka, Cataldo, Siutsov, Lopez, JTL? And then there's the likes of Thomas and EBH who will be very useful to Froome at the Tour.
Well they have got depth in the team no doubt. Rogers and Porte will probably follow Wiggins to the Giro after doing so well in the Tour for him and the Colombians rode the Giro last year so they will probably go with Froome. Giro organisers will be hoping that Wiggins does well. Would have been good to see Evans race the Giro too but he won't. He is too obssessed with the Tour. Menchov should ride the Giro. I wonder which way Rodriguez will go ? Probably the Tour.
 
Mar 4, 2010
1,826
0
0
They owe it to Froome to let him be TdF-captain if that's what he wants. It's also the best choice unless there'll be 2 long, flat ITT's.
 
May 23, 2010
292
0
0
I hope Evans rides the Giro next year but don't think he will.

He has stated in the past that he has unfinished business with the Giro, but if he wants to rectify it he had better hurry up. The clock is ticking.

He should ride the Giro and the Vuelta and see if he can claim one of those before he retires.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,845
0
0
Woody22 said:
I hope Evans rides the Giro next year but don't think he will.

He has stated in the past that he has unfinished business with the Giro, but if he wants to rectify it he had better hurry up. The clock is ticking.

He should ride the Giro and the Vuelta and see if he can claim one of those before he retires.
Agree, I would love to see Evans focus on the Giro instead, and that way Tejay can be leader in the tour :D.
 
Afrank said:
Agree, I would love to see Evans focus on the Giro instead, and that way Tejay can be leader in the tour :D.
The only way Evans may do the Giro is if he continues riding in 2014. I saw a few interviews with him after the Tour, talking about his family and child and got the impression that 2013 will be his last season. He seemed very disappointed about his Tour ride although realistic. But in one interview he actually said that there is every chance that 2013 will be his last Tour. If he does well in the Tour he may let TJVG lead in 2014 and then do the Giro but I have my doubts. Unless he does it as a favour to the Giro organisers and his fans in Italy. It seems that Menchov, Basso and Evans will soon be gone but I still think that Evans has not deteriorated as much as the other two although Menchov rode well as a domestique in the Vuelta but with a guy that has won what he has won, you would not expect less.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
0
0
El Pistolero said:
Perhaps, a top ten in a Monument doesn't automatically mean you have a future in them. I don't see Voeckler winning the Ronde van Vlaanderen any time soon.
why not? if devolder can win it twice :eek:
 
Because Sky want to win all 3 GTs in one season. The most likely way of doing this is for Brad to do Giro and Vuelta and Froome to do the Tour.

Brad can go for the objective of all 3 GTs, the can avoid the issue of the 2 of them riding together and they have enough strong domestiques to go around. It looks like a good solution, especially given the parcours involved.
 
Mar 12, 2010
305
0
0
I voted "Not enough TT km"....because i think he wouldn't be afraid of Contador if the course was like 2012.
 
Jul 10, 2010
2,906
0
0
cineteq said:
IMO he was too stressed out from the Tour, and doesn't want to repeat it. Voted for "Give Froome a chance".

"Try and win the 2 other GT's to become a legend" is the most ridiculous reason I've heard thus far.
+1. I did not vote, as this is "Other". He didn't enjoy the tour, he wasn't happy. Why do something that doesn't make you happy? I think he is the kind of guy that what we think out here in fanland actually matters to him. That makes him a bit delicate (mentally) for the rigors of the public theatre of the TdF.
 
Jul 10, 2010
2,906
0
0
User Guide said:
Voted for"cant take same training program as last year/goes back too having few too many beers over winter" option
I should have read a little farther before my first reply! Perfect! Spot on!

Richeypen said:
He doesnt have the motivation. He wanted to win it, he won it, on to something else
Yup.
 
Aug 29, 2012
1,008
0
0
Wiggins will go for Giro and Vuelta.
Froome for the Tour.

Sky have plenty enough domestiques to go round seeing as they have added Tiernan-Locke and Cataldo to their roster, they are even stronger than last year.
 
Its a Sky thing, rather than a Wiggins/Froome thing, though they probably brokered the deal between them,

They want all 3 GC bases covered, and giving Wiggins a TT friendly Giro and whatever the Vuelta will serve up is best for him.

Froome can solely target the hills in the Tour against Contador
 
King Of The Wolds said:
Because Sky want to win all 3 GTs in one season. The most likely way of doing this is for Brad to do Giro and Vuelta and Froome to do the Tour.

Brad can go for the objective of all 3 GTs, the can avoid the issue of the 2 of them riding together and they have enough strong domestiques to go around. It looks like a good solution, especially given the parcours involved.
This could be very interesting if Wiggins goes for the win in the Vuelta. I foresee Unipublic looking at how the 2012 Vuelta was perceived as a success (probably because of how dull the GC mix was at the Tour, and how dull the GC racing was at the Giro) and aping that, so we get Ézaro HTF! Valdepeñas de Jaén HTF! Peña Cabarga MTF! Xorret del Catí "MTF"! Aia HTF! Angliru MTF! Costiña de Canedo HTF! Cuitu Negru MTF! San Lorenzo de El Escorial HTF! Acebo MTF from its hardest side! Gamoniteiro MTF! Picón Blanco MTF! Urkiola MTF!

All on otherwise flat stages, of course.

Maybe we will get that climb of El Peñón de Gibraltar that I wanted before long. Javier Guillén will surely not let something trivial like politics get in the way of making the riders tackle 25%+ gradients.
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
This could be very interesting if Wiggins goes for the win in the Vuelta. I foresee Unipublic looking at how the 2012 Vuelta was perceived as a success (probably because of how dull the GC mix was at the Tour, and how dull the GC racing was at the Giro) and aping that, so we get Ézaro HTF! Valdepeñas de Jaén HTF! Peña Cabarga MTF! Xorret del Catí "MTF"! Aia HTF! Angliru MTF! Costiña de Canedo HTF! Cuitu Negru MTF! San Lorenzo de El Escorial HTF! Acebo MTF from its hardest side! Gamoniteiro MTF! Picón Blanco MTF! Urkiola MTF!

All on otherwise flat stages, of course.

Maybe we will get that climb of El Peñón de Gibraltar that I wanted before long. Javier Guillén will surely not let something trivial like politics get in the way of making the riders tackle 25%+ gradients.
Not that I expect Wiggins to attack there, but all Guillén has to do is NOT to put a hilly stage after the second rest day :D
 
User Guide said:
Voted for"cant take same training program as last year/goes back too having few too many beers over winter" option
+1000
Wiggins talked of the supreme sacrifices he made to get to the level to win the Tour. According to him he gave up virtually all his vices and strictly followed his coach's training program without deviation. His tone was such that it was a monumental task for him to undertake. I can't see him maintaining the same discipline and motivation after having reached his ultimate goal. This is the same problem that many veteran professional athletes encounter. While they still love their sport, the training camps and the sacrifices needed to maintain their high level of performance gets harder and harder as the years go by. He may still surprise me but with Wiggins I get the impression that he likes the limelight and the benefits that go with it and he is certain to be lovingly basking in all the adulation that comes with his successful season such that getting back into the same form for 2013 that propelled him to his big wins in 2012 will be a challenge.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY