• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

if you negotiated for alberto, what would you advice?

what would you advise alberto if you were his negotiator

• optional, voice on the team's tdf rider selection

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i had this on my mind and now i see many are asking similar question so i gave it a quick thought.

If you were fran the negotiator, what would you put on the negotiating table as the absolutely necessary and optional conditions for signing up his little brother? add as you wish inside your posts, I enabled multiple choice.

A

Anonymous

If I was Fran, the first thing I would add is a buy-out clause actually...

Other than that, I ticked TDF sole priority, choice of 3-4 riders, choice of mechanic and soigneur, and optional input into TDF selection.

I didn't tick any of the money based options personally becoz to me it does not look like AC cares too much about being a highest paid rider.

Money brings pressure and responsibility and I think AC would benefit from having a choice-based contract, rather than a money-based contract.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i am with you goat on the buy out clause. i thought of it but figured (and forgot to mention) that it would be a primary concern for astana-specific contarct longer than 1 year. in general i think a 26 y o like contador should never sign a 3 year contract with anyone because it just makes it too difficult to foresee the stability in today's cycling environment.

Mountain Goat said:

Other than that, I ticked TDF sole priority, choice of 3-4 riders, choice of mechanic and soigneur, and optional input into TDF selection.

I didn't tick any of the money based options personally becoz to me it does not look like AC cares too much about being a highest paid rider.

Money brings pressure and responsibility and I think AC would benefit from having a choice-based contract, rather than a money-based contract.

I'd add to the buy-out option to be enforced upon TDF/GT participation, so he won't have to repeat the 08 dilemma. If everything works out fine for 2010 then make it his team as he sees fit.
AC shouldn't disregard the money option either, since the Kazakhs are the ones who want him so badly, knowing he's the ticket to get GT invitations.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Low salary with large "bonuses"

I would structure the contract to stipulate a very low salary
supplemented with huge bi-monthly "bonuses" for getting out of bed
or something like that.

You just never know - you may to have return your salary to the UCI.

Polish said:
or something like that.

Until now, only Christian Moreni did that.

Polish said:
or something like that.

Best to just bung them the odd half a million, in advance, that way your salary is protected.:rolleyes:;)

Is negotiation on the table?
I would assume that if he stays, it would be down to the inability to get out of his current contract.
Ideally, opt out clause for no PT licence, rather than TDF invite. Preferrably both, to be sure.
CP wants him there, even if Vino rides.
Go for hand picked riders, both as buy ins and in final TDF selection.
That is the fountain from which all good things for a rider, flows.

Oh and a guarrantee that what happened in 2007, won't be repeated, through second rate.......

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Is Astana so sure?

Mountain Goat said:

Astana sounds sure its problems are "technical" to do with new sponsors, but the biggest obstacle vis-a-vis UCI was the fact that Vino was refusing to pay his year's salary fine. Anybody know if this has been paid?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I would also include a clause preventing roadside spectators from coming within five feet of him while climbing; he doesn't seem to like people getting too close.

And a personal DJ to assure the Spanish National Anthem is played should he podium....

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
@ quenchable

you appear not fully informed. there are at least 6 or 7 threads started in the last several days that discuss WHERE contador should go, not go and why. the subject of this thread - what do you think his contract should be if you bargained on his behalf regardless of the team?
biggest obstacle vis-a-vis UCI was the fact that Vino was refusing to pay his year's salary fine. Anybody know if this has been paid?
correct that it was/is an issue between vino and the uci but it has nothing to do with astana’s pt licence or contador’s contact. the issue of vino returning the money to the uci is currently in cas.the uci stated it will live by cas’s decision. if memory serves, the case won’t be heard till next year.

sorry i misspelled your handle. no offense.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Sign with a stable team, almost no team is more unstable than Astana. No promised race dates, he didn't need to do any more racing than he did last year to be fast,strong and rested. Go with a team that is not Spain based, people really like him so why not sell cheese and food to somebody else, maybe in Holland, Belgium or Germany. Race in the US and have every Spanish speaking TV show get you to come on for 5 minutes and talk and show a little video montage of your past victories. People like Alberto so if he can make half the splash of Armstrong then his fate is sealed with gold. Get rid of Macarena. Get a blind date hook up from Giselle or Heidi,date Shakira. Look at what Sarkosey snagged and he is shorter than you.

TRENDING THREADS