• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If......

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
sky sign wiggins as is now looking likely, how about this for the tour team:

Wiggins
Lokqvist (sp)
Boasson Hagen
Barry
Arvesen
Thomas
Froome
Augustyn
Carllstrom

Which I think is a pretty decent team to support Wiggins? As well as having ability to nab a stage with EBH too

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:

Wiggins
Lokqvist (sp)
Boasson Hagen
Barry
Arvesen
Thomas
Froome
Augustyn
Carllstrom

Which I think is a pretty decent team to support Wiggins? As well as having ability to nab a stage with EBH too
Dan Martin. Like to be his manager. Will be a bidding war with Vaughters.

If you are talking next year. I think Cummings can ride his way on. And even Hendo

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Big_Blue_Dave said:
Dan Martin to Sky, honestly?

I'd be intrigued to see your reasoning behind this one.

Brailsford has said he wants a British winner of the Tour in the next five years. There are few options.

Wiggins, Froome, Martin.

Ok, Martin fell out, as he felt they were not investing in the road, and they may have asked him to ride some track.

But he may be able to win the Tour before those other riders. The thing with Martin is, I cannot see him putting enough time into Valverde or Schleck to defend in the chrono.

You have to have stepped outside national team participation for ? 3 years? Like Haussler? Or is it 2?

Martin is more British than Cioni or Sciandri ever will be.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
before this year, no one would have thought Brailsford was in sound mind and body when he said he would have a British winner in 5 years.

OK, it may have been PR, to get traction in the British media.

Wiggins opened a few eyes, but he is kidding himself if he thinks he can win.

They had targeted Froome because they have obviously tested him. He was mid 30's in the first chono in the Tour last year, and about 23rd in the final chrono. Not too bad. But basically he won two stages of Regioni in 2007, a mate of Robbie Hunter's, second in the world B World champs, after falling he was mid field in the world u23 tt champs.

If he wins the Tour I would love to get on what they put him on.

I don't think Martin is as good as Vaughters hyped. Allright in the baby Giro in 2006 when he was about 20. Did ok at Pomme Marseille. But nothing to indicate he can win.

I think G Thomas could be the big one. He is 70 kg. Put him on the program that Wiggins was on this year. I reckon he will be a future team leader.

blackcat said:
Brailsford has said he wants a British winner of the Tour in the next five years. There are few options.

Wiggins, Froome, Martin.

Ok, Martin fell out, as he felt they were not investing in the road, and they may have asked him to ride some track.

But he may be able to win the Tour before those other riders. The thing with Martin is, I cannot see him putting enough time into Valverde or Schleck to defend in the chrono.

You have to have stepped outside national team participation for ? 3 years? Like Haussler? Or is it 2?

Martin is more British than Cioni or Sciandri ever will be.

I don't think you'll ever see Dan ride for anything run by Dave Brailsford ever, hence the nationality switch.

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:
before this year, no one would have thought Brailsford was in sound mind and body when he said he would have a British winner in 5 years. .

a lot of us brits are brainwashed though.. weve gone from nowhere to completely dominating on the track in a handful of years.. if DB says we will have a british winner of the tour, i beleive him...
But i do think its likely to be someone not yet known to the general public..
although there are a few that have definate potential if given the right opportunity, Geraint for one, Kennough as well...

if DB and british cycling can achieve half of what they have acheived on the track, on the road, people will be very very surprised...

nobody ten years ago ever imagined that the brits would be dominating track to such an extent that we ride against ourselves in finals..

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
a lot of us brits are brainwashed though.. weve gone from nowhere to completely dominating on the track in a handful of years.. if DB says we will have a british winner of the tour, i beleive him...
although there are a few that have definate potential if given the right opportunity, Geraint for one, Kennough as well...

if DB and british cycling can achieve half of what they have acheived on the track, on the road, people will be very very surprised...

nobody ten years ago ever imagined that the brits would be dominating track to such an extent that we ride against ourselves in finals..

I could see it happening the moment it was announced that the Olympics were going to be held in London, the British bit the bullet and went all out funding their sports programs so they could be successful in London.

The Big question is whether the funding will continue once the Olympics have passed.

This Olympics is going to be ****e to watch this time round, getting beaten in the medal count by the brits is going to be hard to take.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

two words, medical program.

But all credit to DB. He has, like Armstrong, brought an MBA perspective to cycling. Where to invest the resources, and leverage your financial advantage. It is as much about money and financial nous as skill on the bike. That Lottery dough helps.

The other track riders are kept lean. The 6 day riders ride a program not conducive to modern track endurance requirements.

In 2002, the Australian 4 of Roberts, Lancaster, Brown, Renshaw, with Dawson, Wooldridge and Hutchinson swapping in, went 3'59".

If Cycling Australia kept them together, they were all under the age of Manning for example, and most Wiggins age or younger, then they could have taken the Brits across the board in the endurance events. But Australia could not pay them. NZ with Hendo and Roulston in the madison had lots of potential, but they basically left the track behind to get a wage on the road. It is pretty difficult to get the legs back on the track after a few 30km seasons on the road.

Simon Jones had his teams pursuiters virtually no road work, and all was anaerobic efforts on the track, right on the limit. The training had really changed.

Denmark a nation of what, 10 million, came in an pushed them in Beijing, after being together for around 18 months. Hieko Salzwedal worked miracles there.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
one coincidence, DB has an MBA. Might be from a two bit institution like Sheffield or somewhere, but the guy does not think cycling 101.

Spin from Sky says he had Oxbridge boffins on board. They were following StrongArm in the peloton like ProcyclingManager or whatever those games are.

Now one major flaw is the patron and reputation and opening doors in the peloton. Riders like Froome and Augustyn cant glide in the peloton. Yet.

anyway, that was the mail I heard on DB and his program.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
one coincidence, DB has an MBA. Might be from a two bit institution like Sheffield or somewhere, but the guy does not think cycling 101.

Spin from Sky says he had Oxbridge boffins on board. They were following StrongArm in the peloton like ProcyclingManager or whatever those games are.

Now one major flaw is the patron and reputation and opening doors in the peloton. Riders like Froome and Augustyn cant glide in the peloton. Yet.

anyway, that was the mail I heard on DB and his program.

You've lost me somewhere

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
DB brings the sports science to the coaching, right. One part.

But he also brings an MBA, a business sensibility. Where he can use resources, and find a niche to exploit, where lesser countries cannot, because they do not have the resources.

There are not many trackies from other countries on the equivalent to the UK Lottery per diem. But that is not the main reason, and where he can leverage resources with his program.

He has basically been running a Columbia type operation, on the track, whereas other track nations, are running a Skil Shimano operation if you are generous.

stefrees said:

Wiggins
Lokqvist (sp)
Boasson Hagen
Barry
Arvesen
Thomas
Froome
Augustyn
Carllstrom

I don't think Sky would be game to leave Gerrans out for the second year running :p

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Denmark a nation of what, 10 million, came in an pushed them in Beijing, after being together for around 18 months. Hieko Salzwedal worked miracles there.

Denmark has more like 5 million (5,5 actually) inhabitants.

stefrees said:

Wiggins
Lokqvist (sp)
Boasson Hagen
Barry
Arvesen
Thomas
Froome
Augustyn
Carllstrom

You seem to have forgotten about Simon Gerrans? He will definitely be on their tour team, and rightfully so.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
You seem to have forgotten about Simon Gerrans? He will definitely be on their tour team, and rightfully so.

I dont know about that.

If Wiggins is on Sky, I do not know if Gerrans will be there. There are only so many spots for stage hunters.

You have Wiggins, and he needs mtn support

Wiggins
Lovkvist
Augustyn
Froome
Arveson
Boasson

those riders would be first selections.

Then they need more strength on the flat.

Thomas, Cummings would be thereabouts on the periphery.

There are a few spots left. If Gerrans wants to ride the Tour every year, he needs to find a team with less ambition, so he can ride as a stage hunter. Riding for a team with a genuine GC tilt, is not the best strategy.

Simon Gerrans is a better climber than most on team sky, particularly in the shorter climbs. From what I have heard one of the reason he left Cervelo was that he wasn't taken out to ride the tour de france, and I'm pretty sure Sky has guaranteed him that. And I definitely think Simon Gerrans would be more of use in the mountains than many others on the team (if he is willing to do that, that is).

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Simon Gerrans is a better climber than most on team sky, particularly in the shorter climbs. From what I have heard one of the reason he left Cervelo was that he wasn't taken out to ride the tour de france, and I'm pretty sure Sky has guaranteed him that. And I definitely think Simon Gerrans would be more of use in the mountains than many others on the team (if he is willing to do that, that is).
not better than Froome, Augustyn, Lovkvist.

Arvesen is a ripper on cat2 and cat1 climbs on Saxo. Plus he drives the valleys and the flats.

Boasson will be a better climber than Gerrans.

Sky have promised Barry and Hendo rides at the Tour also. As is, Sky has about 20 riders at the Tour.

blackcat said:
I'm not so sure about that. EBH has said already that he either wants to be a rider for the GC and possibly win the tour one day, or become a sprinter/classics rider. Lately it seems like he is leaning more towards becoming a sprinter, and in that case, he probably won't be able to do much in the mountains.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
I'm not so sure about that. EBH has said already that he either wants to be a rider for the GC and possibly win the tour one day, or become a sprinter/classics rider. Lately it seems like he is leaning more towards becoming a sprinter, and in that case, he probably won't be able to do much in the mountains.

must admit i forgot about gerrans, i thin k sit may strengthen my original point that if sky get wiggins, they actually have a decent team? without him theyre reasonable, but still think wiggins would have a better team than if he stayed at garmin. i think it would be great for british cycling fans to have a british team with a british leader with some great talent from round the world

blackcat said:
not better than Froome, Augustyn, Lovkvist.

Arvesen is a ripper on cat2 and cat1 climbs on Saxo. Plus he drives the valleys and the flats.

Sky have promised Barry and Hendo rides at the Tour also. As is, Sky has about 20 riders at the Tour.

not better than froome,augustyn,lokvist agreed,but gerrans is a much better climber than arvesen and hagen.(worlds road race lots of climbing gerrans finished 10th)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
different roles. Arvesen has been driving CSC/Saxo for a while, this year he was monumental and pulling up cat 1s. And maybe doing some work on HCs.

Hagen will be better. Remember, the domestiques gotta get over the long grinding mtns, then pull thru the valleys. Different riding to the monuments like Liege and Lombardia. Gerrans is punchie. But if you want someone grinding it out and then driving it thru the valley, those other guys can do it better. But they will not win a monument before Gerrans.