• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ignore list

Hello,

putting someone on your ignore list also makes the threads started by the ignored member invisible.

This is a weird feature because I wish to ignore the posts made by this member, I do not want to ignore the posts amde by other members in these invisble threads.

Is it possible or feasible to adjust this?

Thanks,

One. Sometimes I'd like to add someone, but then discussions get very confusing because you also don't see the quotes and it sometimes takes me some time to realize a post is an answer to something I don't see... so if I put more people on ignore I think I would get into problems.

Reactions: Koronin
One. Sometimes I'd like to add someone, but then discussions get very confusing because you also don't see the quotes and it sometimes takes me some time to realize a post is an answer to something I don't see... so if I put more people on ignore I think I would get into problems.
The old forum was better in that regard; you could see the quotes, and it was clearly marked in the thread where the ignored posts were.

I had never used the ignore function until recently. I have issues with it sometimes though where it will hide entire threads so I have to unignore. I thought it was a browser issue or a cookie issue, but that doesn't seem to be it.. At work I could see the firewall causing problems, but it happens at home too. Monday when I got on at lunch I was seeing posts from ignored members even though they were marked ignore so maybe the function has bugs?
:beercheers:

Pretty sure it's a software thing that goes pretty high up. I know at least one other forum with the same software that has the exact same problem.
Obviously it's a forum ''feature''. But the developers who put the forum online and who do the maintenance, should easily be able to mod the code. There is a link on the forums (where you see the topics listed) to ''see ignored content'' just like there is inside the actual topics. All that is needed is that the script that is activated by pressing the link in the forum (not the topic) is activated regardless every time the page loads. It's basically a copy/paste job that is needed, inside the pagecode.

Obviously it's a forum ''feature''. But the developers who put the forum online and who do the maintenance, should easily be able to mod the code. There is a link on the forums (where you see the topics listed) to ''see ignored content'' just like there is inside the actual topics. All that is needed is that the script that is activated by pressing the link in the forum (not the topic) is activated regardless every time the page loads. It's basically a copy/paste job that is needed, inside the pagecode.
But what if not everyone wants it to function like this, and the have someone on ignore because they want to ignore everything they post, including threads?

Reactions: jmdirt
But what if not everyone wants it to function like this, and the have someone on ignore because they want to ignore everything they post, including threads?
Sorry but that does not make sense. Threads are not posts and in 99% of cases, threads are not created for the sole or prevailing purpose of posting predominantly by the thread creator (with exceptions like Eshnar's Giro thread etc.). By hiding the whole thread, you are hiding 90% or more of the content (i.e posts in that thread other than OP's posts) which the user did not state he/she wouldn't want to see.
This may be different for other forums but I do not think anyone here creates threads that would be too off-topic or generally unwanted (and after all, you would quickly moderate those) so saying that someone may wish to ignore whole threads on this forum just because they were created by an ignored member is theoretically possible but realistically very unlikely.

Edit: oh, and quite on the contrary, this system may in fact be very easily abused by someone who knows they are ignored as a form of soft revenge against members who ignored them - by deliberately creating threads on topics they know those members would be interested in...

Last edited:
Here's a thing: there's no rule says you have to read every post. In fact, it's quite easy to ignore posts simply by not reading them.

That goes for the entire ignore system...
But just think of how much easier the "preventing crashes" thread would be to read, if it wasn't constantly clogged with discussions about protecting collarbones.
And I suppose if you have someone on "ignore", you wouldn't see if they tag you or quote you either.

I mean, back in the hayday I can think of some that would do this. I don’t know about currently though. Everyone for the most part gets along.
I've noticed this Giro a few "hayday" regulars popping up again.

But I agree with the Redhead Dane the ideal would be if we could ignore other posters in specific threads. It will depend upon the software for the site. It would not need to be complicated if designed well - there are only two variables, poster and thread. But if the software design doesn't cater for this then not much we can do.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS