• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Piccolo Principe

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I think Cunego's "admission" after today's stage that he didn't have the legs was more an ill-advised attempt at diplomacy than a statement of fact. He matched Pirazzi and Ciccone pedal-stroke for pedal-stroke on the penultimate climb and put in a very strong sprint to take the mountain points there. He probably just doesn't want to make bad blood of this affair, especially since the results of the stage won't be changed.

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
I think Cunego's "admission" after today's stage that he didn't have the legs was more an ill-advised attempt at diplomacy than a statement of fact. He matched Pirazzi and Ciccone pedal-stroke for pedal-stroke on the penultimate climb and put in a very strong sprint to take the mountain points there. He probably just doesn't want to make bad blood of this affair, especially since the results of the stage won't be changed.

Care to elaborate a bit more as to what you're referring to then?

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

NairoQ said:
CheckMyPecs said:

Read my post again, it is quite clear.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site

CheckMyPecs said:
NairoQ said:
CheckMyPecs said:

Read my post again, it is quite clear.

Actually it is not. Can you spell it out for the simpleton crowd (of one perhaps)>

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Nick C. said:
Actually it is not. Can you spell it out for the simpleton crowd (of one perhaps)>
1) Neither Pirazzi nor Ciccone seemed able to drop Cunego at any time during the climbs.
2) Cunego was very strong in the sprint for the mountain points.
3) Ciccone only managed to "drop" Cunego after Pirazzi bumped into him.

Therefore, what we saw on the road makes it quite unlikely that Cunego was really weaker than Ciccone. IMHO he was simply being diplomatic.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site

CheckMyPecs said:
Nick C. said:
1) Neither Pirazzi nor Ciccone seemed able to drop Cunego at any time during the climbs.
2) Cunego was very strong in the sprint for the mountain points.
3) Ciccone only managed to "drop" Cunego after Pirazzi bumped into him.

Therefore, what we saw on the road makes it quite unlikely that Cunego was really weaker than Ciccone. IMHO he was simply being diplomatic.

Thanks. I thought I read something about a near crash and Ciccone getting away in the live report.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Maybe he more or less gave up and saved energy once it became clear that he ain't gonna close the gap to Ciccone anymore!?
Exactly. When that moment came, he switched to energy conservation mode to save something for the KoM classification.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Nice, he already won stage 5 of the Tour of Qinghai Lake in 2003 and now, 14 years later, he won stage 6.
Apparenlty it was a long range attack, the finish was at 4120m above sea level.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts