• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Ilan Van Wilder - Pale Rider

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't understand why he's so scared to try to go in a break tho. He keeps saying it's too much risk, but he has nothing to loose, and he also said earlier they wouldn't let him go which is just not true given who was let in breakaways this Giro. Like top 10 was and still is really hard for him if he doesn't go in a break. It's probably too late now. He can hope Leknessund completely cracks (Armirail shouldn't be a problem) and that he can put 2 minutes into Rubio I guess.

Whut? Half the WT teams and some good PCT teams literally would give them leadership in a GT.

I think tomorrow he goes on the break; he can leapfrog a few riders, and the on the TT he should be able to gain even more time. All in all he has a good chance at top 10. Fingers crossed
I don't think he will go in the break and i think it would be stupid to go in the break the day before the MTT. If he wanted to, he should have done so the previous days. I also don't understand the obsession to go in break always. This is a great chance for him to see where he currently sits compared to actual GT favorites. A chance he will not soon get again. Why waste it with going into breaks? He can get into breaks even when riding for Evenepoel. He won't be able to get into a top 10 when riding for Evenepoel.
He can go for stages all year. But the next opportunity to see where he stands vs GT heavyweights is 2 years from now.

Have a bit of a 'meh'-feeling regarding his results in the Giro. Off course, he lost a lot of time on stage 4 while 'working' for Evenpoel, but he genuinely felt bad that day. And he got the opportunity to go in a break since he was way down. He was very reliable but never overperformed while having a 'teamleader' role. The MTT also, he gets beaten by de Plusand Leknessund e.g. I think Evenepoel can stay assured he will be having Van Wilder around as domestique, as I don't think there would be WT-teams paying big bucks for Van Wilder as a GT-guy. Off course, one of the big teams can maybe lure him away with a big bid as super-dom.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Have a bit of a 'meh'-feeling regarding his results in the Giro. Off course, he lost a lot of time on stage 4 while 'working' for Evenpoel, but he genuinely felt bad that day. And he got the opportunity to go in a break since he was way down. He was very reliable but never overperformed while having a 'teamleader' role. The MTT also, he gets beaten by de Plusand Leknessund e.g. I think Evenepoel can stay assured he will be having Van Wilder around as domestique, as I don't think there would be WT-teams paying big bucks for Van Wilder as a GT-guy. Off course, one of the big teams can maybe lure him away with a big bid as super-dom.
He didn't ask for this and he wasn't prepared for it either. You say he got the teamleader role? What team, lol. His goal was top 10, which he could have managed had GC teams actually bothered and not allowed every break to go to the finish and take minutes. Or if he actually had a team to help him in that regard.

In the final week he was on par with guys like Kämna, Rubio, Leknessund... Even Dunbar was only really better in one stage (and worse in the TT) iirc. He turned 23 last week, it's his 2nd GC.

I expected him slightly better in the last TT, but other than that he performed pretty much as i expected in the 3rd week.

Good Giro for Van Wilder. Like Logic mentioned: he was held back in the 2 TT's previous so he could save energy for Remco. I wonder how much higher up in the GC he would have ended up otherwise. Great talent who is still improving.
Just the 2nd TT. He went full in the first and last.

Looks like those who claimed that DSM wasn't the only problem 2 years ago had a point.
Cool that you can say this without having the slightest idea. Because he didn't like the MTT, lol.

I was also very negatively surprised to hear his negative interview before the MTT. But maybe he's just a social guy who only had one friend t play with the last week? Gotta give him benefit of the doubt, but really can't see why he expressed it like that.

A very decent performance overall nonetheless, and as Logic states, we couldn't really expect any better all things considered. Looking forward to seeing him racing for his own planned goals later in the year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Has there been a silent ban handed to @Logic-is-your-friend ? How can this topic be so quiet after Van Wilder career's most important win? Last Saturday I watched him being dropped like a stone on San Luca and told my friend it was season over for him :tearsofjoy: I know my cycling...

Also, gotta give to him @Ilmaestro99. This guy is for real, even in interviews. He must have earned your trust and the right to be called Van Wilder, not Van Welder.

Last edited:
Has there been a silent ban handed to @Logic-is-your-friend ? How can this topic be so quiet after Van Wilder career's most important win? Last Saturday I watched him being dropped like a stone on San Luca and told my friend it was season over for him :tearsofjoy: I know my cycling...

Also, gotta give to him @Ilmaestro99. This guy is for real, even in interviews. He must have earned your trust and the right to be called Van Wilder, not Van Welder.

Salvarani will surely come in and tell you off for assuming that ilmaestro misspells names on purpose.

Without DSM and without his crashes Van Wilder could be much further along. Giro as leader or Tour as helper? If given the choice I hope he'd choose the Giro with the goal to finish in the top 5. If Remco then shows at the Tour that going for the Tour win in 25 is a realistic option, from 25 on back to Remco's side obviously. But 24? Would make sense to let him try to ride his own race at the Giro.

TRENDING THREADS