• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Ilan Van Wilder - Pale Rider

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ilan Van Wilder (Bel) Team DSM0:10:12
Damn it. The buildup was getting to me.
Just read a short interview of two days ago, after the crash. Looks like the crash and especially the chase back, was harder than we assumed. His bike was broken he had to wait for a new one and he had to do the whole climb plus descent solo, chasing back to the peloton, and when he got back, the peloton was breaking up and he had to immediately start chasing again.

He was working towards the Dauphiné, so his form should have been better than in Romandie, yet the result certainly wasn't. I'll assume for now the crash/chase took more out of him but i'm guessing the result isn't what he'd hoped (his ambition was top 15 in GC).

Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
Just read a short interview of two days ago, after the crash. Looks like the crash and especially the chase back, was harder than we assumed. His bike was broken he had to wait for a new one and he had to do the whole climb plus descent solo, chasing back to the peloton, and when he got back, the peloton was breaking up and he had to immediately start chasing again.

He was working towards the Dauphiné, so his form should have been better than in Romandie, yet the result certainly wasn't. I'll assume for now the crash/chase took more out of him but i'm guessing the result isn't what he'd hoped (his ambition was top 15 in GC).
Nice to hear from you again Logic. And thank you for that info, I was not aware of it. With all that I'm hearing Van Wilder has a lot of potential. I hope he races Le Tour. It would be interesting to watch his improvements.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Surely Logic must be happy?

According to rumors, DSM management didn't like that Ilan asked for better equipment. He didn't get a proper TT bike to ride the national championships, he had to find a disc wheel on his own. He asked for a speedbar TT aerobar (the ones that all the somewhat decent TT'ers have, molded around your arms, for better aero result) etc. With these aerobars he would likely have been on the podium in the Dauphiné and Romandie TT's, where he was only a few seconds off. So they thought it would be best for him to go elsewhere.

And of course they sent him to the Vuelta last year against his will knowing he was injured.

What a team. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Just DSM being DSM, joke of a team. Good that he's leaving.

Obviously I hope that he joins his old friends at Lotto Soudal but I don't think they stand a chance. If you want to focus on TTs, Lotto isn't the right choice and financially he can definitely do better too. Only if he really wants a familiar setting (with De Wouwer as DS and guys who worked for him in the u23 ranks as teammates) it might be a good option.

Just DSM being DSM, joke of a team. Good that he's leaving.

Obviously I hope that he joins his old friends at Lotto Soudal but I don't think they stand a chance. If you want to focus on TTs, Lotto isn't the right choice and financially he can definitely do better too. Only if he really wants a familiar setting (with De Wouwer as DS and guys who worked for him in the u23 ranks as teammates) it might be a good option.
I could see Lotto, due to VDW's promotion and their focus on youth since recently.
I could see him take Almeida's place at DQT.
I could see him go to TJV with them losing Finn Fisher Black, with Kruijswijk running on fumes, Dumo getting out of the GC race etc.
Bora? With Hindley joining Kelderman, Buchmann, Schachmann and Uijtdebroeks also coming, maybe it's getting crowded there?

Will be interesting.

I could see Lotto, due to VDW's promotion and their focus on youth since recently.
I could see him go to TJV with them losing Finn Fisher Black, with Kruijswijk running on fumes, Dumo getting out of the GC race etc.
Bora? With Hindley joining Kelderman, Buchmann, Schachmann and Uijtdebroeks also coming, maybe it's getting crowded there?

Will be interesting.
I could see him at Intermarché, they need promising young talents.

Will be interesting.
Rogla also not getting any younger. TJV - best choice for him and also for team themselves.

Seems pretty clear he wants to leave. How does DSM manage to fk up every time they have a promising talent?

6c08e358-fc35-11eb-b07d-02b7b76bf47f.png

Seems pretty clear he wants to leave. How does DSM manage to fk up every time they have a promising talent?
The team is run by a bunch of puritans who are on a power trip.

If you're focused on your own goals, they'll punish you and sabotage your career. Take you off the start list of your main season goal. Tour and Vuelta in the case of Matthews and Van Wilder.

The interviews that were just put up on that trashy Dutch cycling site are pretty telling. Worse than I'd ever imagined. They want yes-men only.

I don't know how they managed to get Leknessund to fall in line. He was one of many riders who wanted to leave, but chose to stay in the end.

Last edited:
The team is run by a bunch of puritans who are on a power trip.

If you're focused on your own goals, they'll punish you and sabotage your career. Take you off the start list of your main season goal. Tour and Vuelta in the case of Matthews and Van Wilder.

The interviews that were just put up on that trashy Dutch cycling site are pretty telling. Worse than I'd ever imagined. They want yes-men only.

I don't know how they managed to get Leknessund to fall in line. He was one of many riders who wanted to leave, but chose to stay in the end.
Glad to read that there are still cycling enthusiasts who think the Dutch cycling Wielerflits.nl is a big cesspool. Full of hate messages towards (usually) non-Dutch riders, teams and sports directors. Hate messages that are clearly provoked by the editors of Wielerflits with provocative articles. But in this case I think the article really does put its finger on the wound. DSM is a mess and seems to aim to destroy the career of (young) riders. With terrible and inhumane methods that seem so copied from the former East German methods.

Hopefully young riders will no longer be tempted to join this terrible team.

Glad to read that there are still cycling enthusiasts who think the Dutch cycling Wielerflits.nl is a big cesspool. Full of hate messages towards (usually) non-Dutch riders, teams and sports directors. Hate messages that are clearly provoked by the editors of Wielerflits with provocative articles. But in this case I think the article really does put its finger on the wound. DSM is a mess and seems to aim to destroy the career of (young) riders. With terrible and inhumane methods that seem so copied from the former East German methods.

Hopefully young riders will no longer be tempted to join this terrible team.
They seem to have the same Evenepoel fan war going on as here tbh.

But the crying about Jumbo becoming a "vreemdelingenlegioen" when Tolhoek signs for Trek is utterly hilarious.

• Haha
They seem to have the same Evenepoel fan war going on as here tbh.

But the crying about Jumbo becoming a "vreemdelingenlegioen" when Tolhoek signs for Trek is utterly hilarious.
Not really. On this Cyclingnews forum there are only a few haters. But most people are decent and have good argumentation. You don't have to like Evenepoel, or DCQ, or Lefevere. But keep it polite. And use arguments, no slogans, in a discussion. The same of course goes for the fans. But you don't have to be a fan of Evenepoel (like I'm not) to see the potential and to have respect for his achievements and results at his age. And his puberal behaviour ? Well, he is young. In a few years, he will align.

He is a talent that needs a little more time because his 'cooperation' is not yet ready. We are working on that.
:tearsofjoy:
Okay, I don't want to marginalize what happens to people in real dictatorship states, but these sentences sound like a statement of an authoritarian government about a dissident.

TRENDING THREADS