• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Imagined Preeminence-Ricco Revisited

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me or do many of these guys seem to have an inflated sense of self?
Ricco after his most recent win:

"[We've had] two beautiful success for me and the team," said Ricco'. "I've confirmed that the returned Riccò is competitive and I'm satisfied. I could not ask for more and I am very happy."

3rd person

PACONi said:
PACONi thinks that anyone who talks about themselves in the third person is a douche.

Well, it seems like this is pretty common among the Italians--that and mentioning others by their last name instead of their first. It does seem kind of strange, but it doesn't really make anyone a dbag, does it? Then again, it doesn't really matter.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Choocher said:
Well, it seems like this is pretty common among the Italians--that and mentioning others by their last name instead of their first. It does seem kind of strange, but it doesn't really make anyone a dbag, does it? Then again, it doesn't really matter.

Ricco is somewhat of a prominent exception to the norm, however. It's like he speaks of some sort of redemptive phoenix. I would wonder what an Italian fan thinks about such a short period of humility considering his recent drama.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Ricco is somewhat of a prominent exception to the norm, however. It's like he speaks of some sort of redemptive phoenix. I would wonder what an Italian fan thinks about such a short period of humility considering his recent drama.

They probably love it, and rightly so. Every story needs a villain and some people just insist on playing the part.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
In Italy people love that look at the succes of Berlusconi and Cipollini and also Pantani.

If you ever watch the rai during the Giro you are in for a treat. They invite like Cipollini for every race to talk about afterwards where Cipo usually ends in a tirade bashing anything he saw and it's funny as hell too. One time Sella came in the studio after he won a stage and Cipo called Sella's manager Reverberi Snow White because he has a team full of dwarfs. Sella tried to counter back but his comment was totally unfunny and made no sence.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It's also why Vandenbroucke was so popular in Italy. Vdb once said: "I don't race I give performances..."

Wow! _O_

Ricco is also most famous for verbally assaulting his opponents. His story's are legendary.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
tubularglue said:
third person: straight up Pantani,

and we know the outcome of that tragedy

By most accounts, Pantani was a friendly, unassuming man. Some of his words were blown a bit out of proportion, but he generally did not have a big mouth. I don't think the role of Italian idol fitted his personality and I don't think he is remembered accurately by the general public.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
They probably love it, and rightly so. Every story needs a villain and some people just insist on playing the part.

I get the impression he actually believes what he says, like his suspension and girlfriend were a minor deviation in training. As for the third person references, this shouldn't be bashing Italians as there are plenty of atheletes that do it.

TRENDING THREADS