• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Impey cleared of doping - free to race

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Impey's story is bogus. So are these protocol's posted by those defending his nonsense. Every study I have read on the subject uses a similar administration of bicarb. 200 to 500 mg per kg is consumed 30 to 120 minutes before testing. Some researches recommend breaking the amount in two instead of consuming it all at once because gastric distress is often reduced. The soda is administered in liquid. The thought that he benefited from popping a few capsules in the days before a race is not believable. The idea that he would be shoveling handfuls of pills into his mouth during the last hundred klicks in today's environment of ubiquitous cameras is ridiculous. We saw what type of trouble Froome got into for using an inhaler before a climb.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
the idea that Orica are a clean team, ha!

Matt White has a dirty past as a rider and DS.

Neil Stephens no better.

As Vaughters shows by going to get an MBA to go with his experience, doping is a financial decision not a moral one.

Look at all the riders from reasoned decision who doped. All financially secure. That really scares so many new generation not to dope and get rich into the bargain.

BroDeal said:
Impey's story is bogus. So are these protocol's posted by those defending his nonsense. Every study I have read on the subject uses a similar administration of bicarb. 200 to 500 mg per kg is consumed 30 to 120 minutes before testing. Some researches recommend breaking the amount in two instead of consuming it all at once because gastric distress is often reduced. The soda is administered in liquid. The thought that he benefited from popping a few capsules in the days before a race is not believable. The idea that he would be shoveling handfuls of pills into his mouth during the last hundred klicks in today's environment of ubiquitous cameras is ridiculous. We saw what type of trouble Froome got into for using an inhaler before a climb.

The more we talk about this, the more I am coming firmly into that camp, from merely doubting it in the first place.

Why would he but bicarb into capsules, when tablets made by reputable pharma companies are freely available in a range of dosages?

It simply doesn't add up.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
mrhender said:
Posted here six days ago..

Which questions in particular are you referring to?

Sorry, I missed it.

This is highly unusual for a number of reasons. Probenecid is a rarely used drug nowadays; in fact few pharmacies even stock it.

Furthermore, for contamination to occur an uncoated version of the drug must be used in order to produce residue, or the drug must be cut or crushed. This is also rare.

What are the chances of Impey being the person who attends the pharmacy after the patient who was dispensed the rarely used probenecid, in a rare uncoated form?

Most intriguing however is the suggestion being made by some that SAIDS had accepted Impey’s defence without a challenge before a tribunal.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
The more we talk about this, the more I am coming firmly into that camp, from merely doubting it in the first place.

Why would he but bicarb into capsules, when tablets made by reputable pharma companies are freely available in a range of dosages?

It simply doesn't add up.

It does add up, it is procycling ;)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
IzzyStradlin said:
Ross Tucker article in the Times
http://t.co/dcU4dATElV

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately though, that article is little more than a very abbreviated summary of this thread. But the closing lines pretty much sum up the matter.
It's the same thing most of us have been saying.

I would love to provide some insight into the specific details, but it’s all conjecture, because with so little is known. Where questions outnumber answers, people will always force their own “truths” into the vacuum.

For cycling, with its history of lies and deceit, those answers will rarely will be favorable, and the Impey case does little to convince either side of progress.

The anti-doping struggle just got murkier.

With that coming from Ross, perhaps some of the noise from those who would rather the issue not be discussed at all will be comfortably silenced.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
IzzyStradlin said:
I would say the brevity is very fortunate!

Power-Chord-E-4th-string.gif

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how many riders will be going to Durban to train now and head to a certain pharmacy in Durban to get some empty capsules while a friend in the queue in front gets some probenecid so the till receipts can prove their innocence due to cross contamination............;)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I wonder how many riders will be going to Durban to train now and head to a certain pharmacy in Durban to get some empty capsules while a friend in the queue in front gets some probenecid so the till receipts can prove their innocence due to cross contamination............;)

Can't go to Mount Teide due to the lack of testing there. In this age of clean(ER) cycling, the guys want to be tested morning, afternoon and night not like the old days where cyclists would ride in non-team kit and go to the Mexican Dolomites to train.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Valverde did well in Down Under '12. Contador in the Vuelta same year. Rogers in the Giro this year.

Maybe a break is not that bad at all?

A 'break' did a world of good for Contador.......boom boom:D

TRENDING THREADS