• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

In Before the Big Win: Scott Thwaites appreciation thread

gw15-scott-thwaites-bora-argon18-620.jpg

Scott Thwaites had yet another top 10, at Dwars door Vlaanderen yesterday. At 26 he's not the young thruster I thought he was, but he always seems to find a way of top-10-ing on sub-WT cobbled races, and his first pro win will surely come soon enough. He constantly seems to make the select group, and he can sprint well enough, or go solo. His ride in Le Samyn in pursuit of Terpstra was a thing of dogged and painful beauty and one of the best non-winning rides of the season so far IMO.

Re: In Before the Big Win: Scott Thwaites appreciation threa

He's having a great cobbled season so far indeed. Complete unknown rider before this season and he made his mark so far.
Hope for him he can improve and he's allready a good addition for any WT team.

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Local to me so followed his progress. Started as a triathlete winning national titles. Same year group as younger Brownlee, but left due to drafting. Unlike most WT & PC riders he took a year out of the sport to study for A levels, then rode part time for a further 3 years while at University. He was part time when he won Lincoln GP and the National U23 road and MTB titles, beating GB Academy riders on both occasions. He had already ridden the Worlds at Cross and MTB. In first full time year (2012) he was top points scorer in the Tour Series and won the National Circuit Champs. and the Premier Calender Road Series. Went up to PC level with TNE but given very few chances in first 3 years. Has the talent, but needs a bit of freedom, which his results deserve.

He seems to be getting the freedom now. Bora have obviously decided (and obviously correctly) that he's their man for the cobbled races. He's been really good this year and I'd love to see him get a big result.

I don't think he'll be sticking around at Bora, though if they go WT next year I'd prefer to see him as their leader on the cobbles rather than watching him get bottles for Sky or Lotto Soudal.

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site

MartinGT said:
Now he's at DD who will take precedent at the Classics?

I would assume Thwaites would be there to help Eddy Bos?

I believe he spoke to 5-6 WT teams. He did not want to be well down the pecking order for the cobbles so discounted some teams including Sky. He knew he would not get sole leadership anywhere and was happy to support, but wanted to be given chances in some races. Presumably that's the DDD deal. Support Eddy B in the big races assuming Eddy is "on it." If not and if Thwaites is going well, he may get chances to go for it.

kev1n said:
MartinGT said:
Now he's at DD who will take precedent at the Classics?

I would assume Thwaites would be there to help Eddy Bos?

I believe he spoke to 5-6 WT teams. He did not want to be well down the pecking order for the cobbles so discounted some teams including Sky. He knew he would not get sole leadership anywhere and was happy to support, but wanted to be given chances in some races. Presumably that's the DDD deal. Support Eddy B in the big races assuming Eddy is "on it." If not and if Thwaites is going well, he may get chances to go for it.

Plus being a part of Cav's train.

TRENDING THREADS