• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Incorrect naming

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the volta part is wrong but the Vasco -
surely it should be-
Vuelta ciclista al Pais Vasco = Spanish
Volta al País Basc = Catalan
Euskal Herriko Itzulia = Euskara
thanks

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Also from today's articles: "La Vuelta al Alentejo".

Thanks cyclingnews. I had no idea Spain had conquered Alentejo! I guess we're back to the middle ages with Portugal and Spain at war again :p

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
dancing on pedals said:
I don't think the volta part is wrong but the Vasco -
surely it should be-
Vuelta ciclista al Pais Vasco = Spanish
Volta al País Basc = Catalan
Euskal Herriko Itzulia = Euskara
thanks

The Volta part is wrong, if you tried to write it in Spanish... if you tried to write it in Catalan (which would make no sense as people in the basque country don't speak Catalan) you might as well write it in some other language, like French. At least there is a part of the Basque Country that is within the French borders. As I said in my initial post "Volta al Pais Vasco" is incorrect. The Volta part being the incorrect part.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
From today's Tour de Suisse live report (stage 6):

14:27 CEST

Cyclingnews' Shane Stokes spoke to Oscar Pereiro at the start today. The Caisse d'Epargne rider was "happy with my form and with how things are going. Today's going to be a tough one and a good test of everyone's condition."

The 2006 Tour de France winner will be preparing for this year's July Grand Tour which - in the absence of team leader Alejandro Valverde - could hold some possibilities again for him.

Seriously, Cyclingnews? That's a pretty big mistake.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Since this is the "incorrect naming" topic :p

Without wanting to be pedantic, it's just Rui Costa. No need for the "Da". Otherwise it just sounds very very weird. If he was spanish, on the other hand...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Regarding the story of the Spring Classics artwork (great stuff btw) it has Mark Cavendish listed as the Gent Wevelgem winner.

If I remember correctly Cav was not even on the roster for the race. Bernhard Eisel won this year's edition, and the photo does kinda sorta looks like Eisel.

TRENDING THREADS