• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Inflating issue

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
Good morning, I'm hoping that someone here can solve this issue for me. Whenever I go out for a ride I add air to my tires and make sure they are at 120 psi. However the last two times I've tried to add air/ check pressure the unit of the pump that connects to the valve on the tube is blown off. And the only method I can find to resolve this is to have my fiancee hold the pump head on the valve while I pump. Every once in awhile this would happen with one tire but not the other, now it's both. Any thoughts? Could it be the pump wearing out, I've had it since 2005 and ride a lot (4,000 + miles a year). I'm riding Michellin Pro 3 Clinchers with bontrager tubes on Bontrager Race X Lite wheels.

Thanks
-c

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Just buy some zip ties and tie it down. Or buy a new pump.

I like using your your fiancee to hold it though, pumping together is a good thing ;)

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
inside of the head of the pump connection is probably wearing out. It is made of a rubbery type compound and gets scarred/chaffed and such from years of sliding it over the valve. I had to replace the one on my cycle pump a bunch of times.
Sounds like you have a nice friend !!;)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Let me guess, you have a Silca pump? Those rubber washers inside the head wear out over time. They are really cheap to replace. Most bike stores carry the part or can order it.