• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Information About Wheels & Wheelsets

Hello, can anyone recommend where I can buy 20 inch wheels? I like these wheels here by Alexrims: http://www.alexrims.com/product_detail.asp?sc=0&cat=23&pid=93

The DA22 for Mini Bikes come both in 18" and 20". I would get the 18 if I could. I can only find ONE online store that has them, which is here on ModernBikes.com. Can any recommend them? They don't have a single "trusted" or "verified" stamp on their website.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (I would need tyres and tubes to go with them also.)

Actually, you know what, I need a complete wheelset front and rear that would take an 8-speed or 9-speed cassette or sprocket (not sure of the name right now).

18 inches preferably, 20 inches will do.

I suppose the tyres that would fit would be the BMX kind. (Not the one with the grips that are tractor-like in appearance.)

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Microchip said:
They don't have a single "trusted" or "verified" stamp on their website.

The site switches to https when checkout begins. It uses a Godaddy 128-bit cert. Pretty standard setup for a small business.

I'd buy from the guy/girl/shop.

Watch those 20" wheels and rear mechs. You can tear up the rear mech more easily on such a small wheeled bike and you might need to go a little smaller on the gear range.

avanti said:
Velocity has 16 and 20 inch rims
http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rim_applications/Recumbent
Mate them up with hubs of your choice.

Bike Friday has high cost aero 20" wheels
https://store.bikefriday.com/produc...17585&osCsid=e4c719d047e1f14fcce09aa9729ae065

Continental has 20 inch tires such as this one
http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/city/sportcontact_en.html

Incidentally what is the application for this size wheel?

Thank you, Avanti!!! The links are very helpful!

I'm replacing components on a child's bike. The bike is 8-speed at the moment, that's the default it came with; so I was going with what it already has. The rims actually measure 16.5".

From researching what it takes to change the parts, I've come to see how very technical and mathematical a bicycle is! Especially the wheelsets!!

DirtyWorks said:
The site switches to https when checkout begins. It uses a Godaddy 128-bit cert. Pretty standard setup for a small business.

I'd buy from the guy/girl/shop.

Watch those 20" wheels and rear mechs. You can tear up the rear mech more easily on such a small wheeled bike and you might need to go a little smaller on the gear range.

Thanks for the info about Modern Bikes, DWorks. I'll check the local shops to see what they have.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
avanti said:

16"?? Hmmmm - 20" is a bmx/youth standard these days. But Sheldon's pages (linked above) probably will help you figure out what you've currently got.

Not sure I should ask, but I have to wonder - if the wheels are indeed 16", this must be a mass market bike - which makes me wonder if it is worth fixing at all. In mass market model price ranges, it can be cheaper to replace instead of fix. And, if you wanted to upgrade, it might be cheaper to buy a decent by inexpensive 20" model with better components. Lots of competition in that size.

Unless you are going for the super-light racing bmx rims and frames. Last time I looked, they seemed to no longer be on the market.

hiero2 said:
16"?? Hmmmm - 20" is a bmx/youth standard these days. But Sheldon's pages (linked above) probably will help you figure out what you've currently got.

Not sure I should ask, but I have to wonder - if the wheels are indeed 16", this must be a mass market bike - which makes me wonder if it is worth fixing at all. In mass market model price ranges, it can be cheaper to replace instead of fix. And, if you wanted to upgrade, it might be cheaper to buy a decent by inexpensive 20" model with better components. Lots of competition in that size.

Unless you are going for the super-light racing bmx rims and frames. Last time I looked, they seemed to no longer be on the market.

I'm sure it's a mass market bike. The guy at the bike shop told me not to spend any more money on it, after I had him change the brakes. The frame, fork, and seatpost seem decent; so I'm experimenting with putting in some decent wheels and gears. Am researching to see if I can make these changes for less than the price of a new (although inexpensive) model.

I know by saying all this, I'll be getting more advice to forget the bike and go for another one, but I'd like to see for myself what the options are out there and explore them all, before putting down more money whether it's for a new one or upgraded parts.

But please, feel free to say what you think.

For instance, I've read here (and other places) that a couple of the big name brands either have their factory in the East / Asia, or, a company from that area provides manufactures their frames and forks to their specs. If that is so, and a person can source these items, then maybe an individual can build their own bike to their liking and budget.

This has probably been talked about in detail I imagine. I'm now reading a thread in this section about someone's bike rebuild.

I've been reading through the specs of the Culprit Junior, Fuji Ace 20 and one of the Islabike models. I would like to pattern my changes after those; added to that, there seems to be an unattended segment of consumers, those being petite adults. Interesting.

DirtyWorks said:
It doesn't work like that. You may save a few quid, but you will have spent a great deal of time. I'd rather spend the time riding.

I'm learning that it's not quite like that, as you say!!

(Good thing your response came to my email...lol...your first entire response had me chuckling...you're right too!)