• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Inner Chainring - 36t

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Just wanted to see if this exists:

36t 130mm

I've done some searching and have not found anything. Before I give up, I just want to see if anybody else has answers.

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I had a 36 on my compact setup but didnt like it so I now have my old 39x53 and i got a 29 single sprocket that I can slip on the back of my cassett then remove the 16 sprocket I then have 11-29. 10 speed with similar gears to the 36 chainring.

There are several after market rear sprockets 25 - 32 teeth so that is a cheap simple way to go for a lower gear if its needed.

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
I had a 36 on my compact setup but didnt like it so I now have my old 39x53 and i got a 29 single sprocket that I can slip on the back of my cassett then remove the 16 sprocket I then have 11-29. 10 speed with similar gears to the 36 chainring.

There are several after market rear sprockets 25 - 32 teeth so that is a cheap simple way to go for a lower gear if its needed.

Thanks! that sounds like a great alternative. I'm not climbing up the steepest mountains, but after putting in tons of miles I always find myself pointlessly clicking away furiously hoping that I haven't gone through the whole sprocket.

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
In case you're shopping online here are a few things to keep in mind that might save you some headache:

If you go to a bigger cassette (27,28,29T last cogs) you may need a new chain (or need to add links to your current chain) to allow for cross chaining ("big/big"). Of course you could leave the chain as is and be very careful about your gear selection...

Depending on what rear derailleur you have, clearance between the upper derailleur pulley and the biggest cog can be an issue. Usually this isn't a problem until you are looking at 27/28 teeth for your biggest cog. If you go to the 28, and the pulley is running too close or touching the biggest cog with the p-tension screw bottomed out; you can flip the screw around (thread it in so that the head of the screw rests on the hanger) and buy yourself a few extra mm's of clearance.

A 32T cog won't fit most standard double road RD's. But there are options to make just about anything you want work.

TRENDING THREADS