• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Internal Programs

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this has been discussed, but, I'm kinda under the impression that when these guys pull out of racing for whatever reason..."sickness" or "change in programme", it seems to me that their internal controls have seen that they could potentially throw a positive test if tested in an upcoming race/surprise test.

I'd say probably 25% of the guys that pull out & get sick (especially this time of year with the weather being all over the place) would have thrown a positive in a sanctioned event if they tested. Their internal controls are nothing more than their own testing programme to make sure they don't make the team look like a bunch of jack arses should the press catch wind of someone testing positive.

I use Cancellara as an example. He's got so much dope in him right now, it's probably in his razor. They're going to scrutinize him a lot at the next race or two, so, just don't go, and, pump him full of masking agents/etc so that in the event they DO test him...clean. SB can then say "see...our controls work!".

Now, what about the guy that DOES get hit with the internal controls? Well, that's the only thing I'm unsure of. Maybe they pay him to take the fall,or, realize they wasted their money on his talent signing him in the first place, and, want to kill the contract.

just my .02.

I've always thought that a lot of "illness"/withdrawals is because of what's required for their program (donating or getting some hard EPOmiles).

It's never crossed my mind that internal controls are being used as a warning. I've just never thought of it like that, I only ever saw internal controls as a big scam for the public and to make sure everyone's under 50%. I thought that people's program's would be tuned enough to know when they're at risk of a positive, without the need for the internal checks.

How often do riders get dropped by teams because they failed an internal test?

58teeth said:

I use Cancellara as an example. He's got so much dope in him right now, it's probably in his razor. They're going to scrutinize him a lot at the next race or two, so, just don't go, and, pump him full of masking agents/etc so that in the event they DO test him...clean. SB can then say "see...our controls work!".

With blood doping and HGH you don't need masking agents. Just dilute your blood. And make sure you don't hit the offscore too high. Just keep yourself within the range.;)

The problem with Cancellara is that with additional HGH his chin might grow out of proportion.:D

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
With blood doping and HGH you don't need masking agents. Just dilute your blood. And make sure you don't hit the offscore too high. Just keep yourself within the range.;)

if you blood dope, the absolute number of reticulocytes will go down. Since hemodilution has the same effect, their combination will produce still more abnormal values.

Escarabajo said:
The problem with Cancellara is that with additional HGH his chin might grow out of proportion.:D

Let's hope the endocrine module of the passport will be implemented before :)