• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Interview Of Jobst Brandt

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I really liked his take on people who preach helmet wearing basically comparing them to religious fanatics. Ron, you must have been boiling mad when he told you that.:D

On another forum, a rider explained that his group would only allow riders to tag along who are wearing a helmet. As if it affected the other riders.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I really liked his take on people who preach helmet wearing basically comparing them to religious fanatics. Ron, you must have been boiling mad when he told you that.:D

Not really, as I know where he's coming from and I'm not surprised. For a quick run to the grocery store around the corner, do you have to wear your helmet? Depends on your assessment of the risk.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Cozy Beehive said:
Not really, as I know where he's coming from and I'm not surprised. For a quick run to the grocery store around the corner, do you have to wear your helmet? Depends on your assessment of the risk.

Zactly, I take that assessment every pre-ride. All depends where I'm going and what time of day. Actually had a guy, who I don't know, ride up to me last year on a bike/ped path around a lake and ask me why I'm not wearing one. I was going to try to be nice, but I lost it when he started preaching so I ended up verbally threatening the poor guy until he turned away. Some people have a lot of nerve, a total stranger, weird. These people remind me of the Iranian morality police.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
BroDeal said:
I remember Jobst from Usenet. He is like the original retrogrouch.

Yep. He's like that guy in any industry everybody listens to, but nobody want's to talk to. Kind of like the Mr. Spock of the bike industry with an overdeveloped left brain and very little sense of humor.

Somebody needs to write a new wheel building book that isn't so outdated like JB's 'the Bicycle Wheel'. It's not that JB's book isn't great, the basic principles are right, it's just that materials and methods have changed a bit in the last 30 years. I'd nominate Rich Sawiris from Wheelbuilder.com for that task.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Cozy Beehive said:
I have a series of interviews up on the blog with legend Jobst Brandt. Hope you enjoy this never-before look at the man behind the online (and on-bike) phenomena.

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV

Part V is to follow this week. Stay tuned.

Comments/opinions welcome!

I grew up (and rode and raced) in the same area where Jobst rides; it was a hotbed for great cyclists back in the 70's and 80's. Jobst did epic long rides, and was very strong, leading some very accomplished racers (of the time) like Keith Vierra and Marc Brandt. He was, and apparently remains, extremely un-approachable, grumpy, and phenomenally insecure. He is a pompous, insufferable man who's contribution to cyclng is that he wrote a brilliant and thorough book about how wheels used to be built. End of story.

In complete contrast, there is a wonderful human who found me, 36 years ago, riding (in tennis shoes) along Alpine road on a horribly insufficient Peugeot that had become much too small for my 13 year-old-body. Rather than speed by, with his nose in the air, He paced me home, found an extra-long seatpost for my bike, took me to get cycling shoes fitted and cleated, and encouraged me on multiple training rides. Years later, I found out he did this for tons of people, jumpstarting their lifelong passions for racing as well. Unlike Jobst, he actually had the guts to put it out there, and race against his peers, and he won the Berkeley Hills Road Race, Cat I. He later became the cycling coach at Stanford. A phenomenal man and human being who would be more than worthy of an interview. I highly recommend you look up Tim Nicholson.

A

Anonymous

Really interesting interview and oddly I like the guy as he came off in the peice...reminds me of some old Belgian guys I know...just down to earth and no BS but not everyone's cup of tea...as for helmets, I had to laugh at his comment about the new puritans and just why everyone insists on them...I have been riding for 25 some odd years and have never worn one...I just don't like the things...and I have always ridden a fair amount, maybe 300 k's a week in season (Vermont) and have never really seen the point...I could care less if others wear them btw as it is not really my business altho sometimes my business and my skull seems to be theirs'...annoying crap that...but interesting interview and thanks for putting it up...

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
I worked with Jobst for many years at HP Labs, and almost everytime I'd ask him about his thoughts on things like going to Ergo Shifters, an 11 tooth sprocket or Look Pedals instead of clips, he would always say "what the fu*k you want to do that for!".

The man with the yellow bike.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I remember JB from the usenet days also. He was right much of the time, but there were some times when he was wrong. He would never admit it, nor would he even admit that there was another viewpoint. He spent all his time on his high horse, as grumpy as can be. Life is too short for people like that.

In contrast to JB was Sheldon (RIP). He was correct almost every single time, and he provided his advice in a kind, gentle way, and if the discussion got too heated, he would interject a bit of humor to keep it real.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
trailrunner said:
I remember JB from the usenet days also. He was right much of the time, but there were some times when he was wrong. He would never admit it, nor would he even admit that there was another viewpoint. He spent all his time on his high horse, as grumpy as can be. Life is too short for people like that.

In contrast to JB was Sheldon (RIP). He was correct almost every single time, and he provided his advice in a kind, gentle way, and if the discussion got too heated, he would interject a bit of humor to keep it real.

I totally agree--life is just too short. I would have enjoyed meeting Sheldon; most of the time I find that people who really know their stuff, or who are really great at something, tend to have a quiet confidence and don't take themselves so darned seriously. Not always true, but seems to be the case most of the time. Thanks

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
sandspitjohn said:
I grew up (and rode and raced) in the same area where Jobst rides; it was a hotbed for great cyclists back in the 70's and 80's. Jobst did epic long rides, and was very strong, leading some very accomplished racers (of the time) like Keith Vierra and Marc Brandt. He was, and apparently remains, extremely un-approachable, grumpy, and phenomenally insecure. He is a pompous, insufferable man who's contribution to cyclng is that he wrote a brilliant and thorough book about how wheels used to be built. End of story.

In complete contrast, there is a wonderful human who found me, 36 years ago, riding (in tennis shoes) along Alpine road on a horribly insufficient Peugeot that had become much too small for my 13 year-old-body. Rather than speed by, with his nose in the air, He paced me home, found an extra-long seatpost for my bike, took me to get cycling shoes fitted and cleated, and encouraged me on multiple training rides. Years later, I found out he did this for tons of people, jumpstarting their lifelong passions for racing as well. Unlike Jobst, he actually had the guts to put it out there, and race against his peers, and he won the Berkeley Hills Road Race, Cat I. He later became the cycling coach at Stanford. A phenomenal man and human being who would be more than worthy of an interview. I highly recommend you look up Tim Nicholson.

There are more than a few people in cycling from back then who probably deserve as much or more credit/attention. But Jobst was the first to put anything scientific down on paper about bicycle wheels and tires. Other people whom we now remember? Sheldon was the one who put cycling knowledge -all that and more - on the internet. The usenet FAQ didn't quite get the same "flair" - fickle public. Forester wrote "Effective Cycling", and Wilson "Bicycling Science". So, these names get remembered more. Deservedly? Well, there are/were others who also deserve credit, but these are the people that history is remembering.

Actually, I have to think that Jobst's irascible behavior may have contributed to his reputation online, since everybody soon recognized who he was. He also frequently became a topic of conversation himself, for this same reason. Forester's reputation is quite similar.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts