• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Interview with David Millar

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Good interview and thanks for the link.

I do think he's making an overall generalization on the state of doping when we still are hearing otherwise in recent news stories. I know he wants it to get better but recent stories are not helping his cause.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I fail to see how this puts Millar in a favorable light, unless being interviewed automatically puts someone in a favorable light.

It is simply a mealy little article (and not very well-written or entertaining) that discloses the not-exactly-earth-shaking news that Millar is a bit of a prima donna who likes to drink alcohol with lunch and believes that drug use in the peloton is much less than it once was.

For those who haven't clicked the link, don't bother.

EDIT: Am reffing the first link.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I have to say I have not been too keen on Millar in the past. I've read and heard quite a few things about Millar emphasising that he admitted to taking drugs, in a way that suggested he was putting himself above those who didn't admit to it. Given that he was caught with physical evidence and there was no way a denial would be believed anyway it seems kind of ridiculous to claim moral high ground for confessing.

But I see in the second link that he actually said he would not have confessed had he not been caught. It is the first time I have heard anything like that from him, and sounds a lot more like admitting to his mistakes than what I heard in the past. So on that basis, I am starting to like him more...

the vagabond said:
I fail to see how this puts Millar in a favorable light, unless being interviewed automatically puts someone in a favorable light.

It is simply a mealy little article (and not very well-written or entertaining) that discloses the not-exactly-earth-shaking news that Millar is a bit of a prima donna who likes to drink alcohol with lunch and believes that drug use in the peloton is much less than it once was.

For those who haven't clicked the link, don't bother.

EDIT: Am reffing the first link.

I actually didn't mean that it made him look good. I was being a bit sarcastic as it didn't put any serious criticism to him which I think he deserves. He continues to live his extravagant and selfish lifestyle while blathering about how clean things have become due to his efforts and how the peloton looks to him as a patron.

AND I agree with you entirely on the mealiness of the article. My poor choice of words...
what I was implying was that it WAS a glossy little piece of fluff and did nothing to change his image of a dandy and high roller....leaving the impression that he really is what he says he is.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
I actually didn't mean that it made him look good. I was being a bit sarcastic as it didn't put any serious criticism to him which I think he deserves. He continues to live his extravagant and selfish lifestyle while blathering about how clean things have become due to his efforts and how the peloton looks to him as a patron.

AND I agree with you entirely on the mealiness of the article. My poor choice of words...
what I was implying was that it WAS a glossy little piece of fluff and did nothing to change his image of a dandy and high roller....leaving the impression that he really is what he says he is.
agree with the hilited though i'm personally between indifferent to slightly positive on millar the rider.

what bugged me about the interview as presented was its format. the q/a format chosen sucked. when questions and answers are submerged into the sea of the author's commentary and flyby remarks it completely kills the context. there was no way to judge the conversation direction, spontaneity and/or rhythm.

i love a good bottle of wine. but having two frecking bottles for lunch plus at least another beer can hardly be called anything but a chemical dependence.

millar, as in his pre-dope days, talk too much...

python said:
agree with the hilited though i'm personally between indifferent to slightly positive on millar the rider.

what bugged me about the interview as presented was its format. the q/a format chosen sucked. when questions and answers are submerged into the sea of the author's commentary and flyby remarks it completely kills the context. there was no way to judge the conversation direction, spontaneity and/or rhythm.

i love a good bottle of wine. but having two frecking bottles for lunch plus at least another beer can hardly be called anything but a chemical dependence.

millar, as in his pre-dope days, talk too much...

Precisely.
I don't hate the guy, fairly indifferent but sometimes entertained. But definitely meh interview.
BTW I love how Toto captures DM. :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Given the main topic of the interview in question is doping, I have moved this thread to the Clinic.

This does not prevent someone from opening a non-doping thread for general discussion of Millar in the professional road forum.

TRENDING THREADS