• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

IOC Corruption

If this hasn't been posted already, this is excellent reporting. http://www.iol.co.za/sport/more-sport/disgraced-coach-claims-ioc-plot-1.1120716

The relevant portion:
Following Turin, Rogge pointed the finger at Mayer, prompting the Austrian to sue him for defamation.

Mayer however withdrew the lawsuit in 2007. Austrian media reported he had received in exchange 300,000 euros ($430,200) from a lobbyist for Salzburg's 2014 Olympic bid,

A simple doping offense got elevated to executive level and then the IOC issues the first strike from Rogge's office?

I find it interesting that this doper got compensated by the IOC but indirectly. One has to wonder what Mayer knows to inspire an actions like this from the IOC.

The outlying facts surrounding the doper Mayer suggests the IOC is as dirty as the UCI.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
If this hasn't been posted already, this is excellent reporting. http://www.iol.co.za/sport/more-sport/disgraced-coach-claims-ioc-plot-1.1120716

The relevant portion:
Following Turin, Rogge pointed the finger at Mayer, prompting the Austrian to sue him for defamation.

Mayer however withdrew the lawsuit in 2007. Austrian media reported he had received in exchange 300,000 euros ($430,200) from a lobbyist for Salzburg's 2014 Olympic bid,

IOC head Rogge publicly strikes first by blaming Mayer. Am I the only one asking why the a simple doping offense got elevated to Rogge's office?

I find it interesting that this doper got compensated by the IOC but indirectly.

The outlying facts surrounding the doper Mayer suggests the IOC is as dirty as the UCI.

That's hardly a shock.:rolleyes: Verbruggen is an Honorary Member of the IOC and McQuaid is a member of the IOC and McQuaid was given a ban by the IOC in 1976.

Benotti69 said:
That's hardly a shock.:rolleyes: Verbruggen is an Honorary Member of the IOC and McQuaid is a member of the IOC and McQuaid was given a ban by the IOC in 1976.

Here's another corruption story that is as large as the Olympic ideal. The facts surrounding Mayer strong suggest this. However, I don't see most media properties willing to wake the sleeping giant. It's why I mentioned the reporting on this one as good. The facts are damning and they reported them.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Here's another corruption story that is as large as the Olympic ideal. The facts surrounding Mayer strong suggest this. However, I don't see most media properties willing to wake the sleeping giant. It's why I mentioned the reporting on this one as good. The facts are damning and they reported them.

the days of investigating corruption seems to have passed, especially when it is huge, like FIFA, IOC etc...

....to give an example. In Italy fashion house Dolce and Gabbana are being investigated for massive tax avoidance for failing to pay taxes on more than $1 billion in income. It barely got reported in any of the newspapers in Italy and where it did it was a small article, not front page news. Why? D&G advertise full pages and double page spreads in all the print media in Italy. When Valentino Rossi, Mario Cipollini even lately Rebellin are investigated it makes big headlines.

It needs government backing to instigate an investigation into giants like IOC and FIFA and it seems none are willing. I hope the Swiss do something in the hunt for revenue, but it will hardly clean up their acts.

The BBC tried to do an investigation into FIFA corruption but hardly a successful one was it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

The relevant portion:

A simple doping offense got elevated to executive level and then the IOC issues the first strike from Rogge's office?

I find it interesting that this doper got compensated by the IOC but indirectly. One has to wonder what Mayer knows to inspire an actions like this from the IOC.

Lots of nepotism going on in these circles.
From IOC headquarters to UCI headquarters is like 2.5 hours by car, so these guys lunch together at least once a week.

One needs not be visionary to understand that the world of professional sports is corrupt to the core.
What bugs me is the umbrella of charity and fair play under which these guys enrich themselves.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
HA ! Even on the bike you still have time for lunch in the UCI cafe !

Recently Austria News reported the sentencing of Mayer to Jail time ! Not sure about appeal processes here so he could still be wandering around as ae is co accused !

Bernard Kohl and Toschnig are also awaiting the "Wrath " of the judicial system !

TRENDING THREADS